OT: - Edsall Wasting No Time | The Boneyard

OT: Edsall Wasting No Time

Reaction Score
no surprise here, the guy is a jerk. They could have done better than Randy.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Except when he keeps the scholarship, doesn't have the skill set or talent to play in Edsel's system, sits at the end of the bench for two years, gets pissed, transfers, and loses another year of playing time in the transfer. I think he's better off knowing what to expect and making a decision that is more beneficial to the young man. Edsel's a stand up guy telling him face to face.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While unfortunate for the scholar athlete, I have to imagine there is a good reason. Our football program sucks, and that's putting it mildly. Is this something that is incredibly uncommon after a regime change? Not only did the head coach change, but the entire staff of assistants, etc. did as well.

People can feel free to jump to whatever conclusions they want, but the reality is that he's trying to literally build a program from the ashes. He gets a long leash IMHO to do whatever it takes, provided he gets results on the field.

Side note - apparently even Monmouth took a pass on the kid - UCONN was his only offer. I empathize with him and his family, but a sports scholarship is not a charity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a very nasty and brutal business. Both players and Schools can decommit an oral commitment before national sign up day. HCRE has a new staff with new needs for skill sets. UConn cannot comment on a recruit so this is just one side PR and some really biased reporters who have blindly overlooking of the same moves by some sec schools. Not every one is in love with RE game plan during his 12 years here at UConn, but he was never ever been accused of not being a stand up guy. So stop the stupid bitching if you have no idea what is going on!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have read that is a common practice when a school changes coaches.

I never did understand why there is only a certain period when recruits can sign a letter of intent, for any sport. If a recruit decides to play at a certain school and is offered a scholarship, why shouldn't that player be able to sign at that time.

I know it is a NCAA rule, but what is the rationale?

Reaction Score
I have read that is a common practice when a school changes coaches.

I never did understand why there is only a certain period when recruits can sign a letter of intent, for any sport. If a recruit decides to play at a certain school and is offered a scholarship, why shouldn't that player be able to sign at that time.

I know it is a NCAA rule, but what is the rationale?

The rationale is that if you don't put an earliest date on the process, the NCAA fears that coaches will be pressuring 8 and 9th graders, and that it's not fair to pressure a kid to make a commitment that far out. So ou need a "no earlier than" date for good reason. And once you agree to the concept, then it's just a question of where you draw the line.

Reaction Score
The rationale is that if you don't put an earliest date on the process, the NCAA fears that coaches will be pressuring 8 and 9th graders, and that it's not fair to pressure a kid to make a commitment that far out. So ou need a "no earlier than" date for good reason. And once you agree to the concept, then it's just a question of where you draw the line.
I understand that, but why not earlier, like once a recruit finishes their junior year in high school.

Reaction Score
I understand that, but why not earlier, like once a recruit finishes their junior year in high school.

Now you're arguing about what the particular date should be. I have no answer as to why they picked the dates they picked, but it's probably not totally unrelated to the fact that until someone is 18 they are a minor, and in many states they can't even enter into contracts that aren't rescindable when they turn 18. I would assume that the belief that even as a junior in college you are a minor and it's asking a lot to hold you to the consequences of a 4 year decision made over a year in advance would be unfairly harsh.

Reaction Score
This is a very nasty and brutal business. Both players and Schools can decommit an oral commitment before national sign up day. HCRE has a new staff with new needs for skill sets. UConn cannot comment on a recruit so this is just one side PR and some really biased reporters who have blindly overlooking of the same moves by some sec schools. Not every one is in love with RE game plan during his 12 years here at UConn, but he was never ever been accused of not being a stand up guy. So stop the stupid bitching if you have no idea what is going on!!!!

a stand up guy would not wait until 2 weeks before the signing date to rescind an offer. I am sure rival schools will use this to question what a verbal to RE is worth.

this is not the behavior of a stand up guy ;

Randy Edsall Excited For Second Chance at UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
a stand up guy would not wait until 2 weeks before the signing date to rescind an offer. I am sure rival schools will use this to question what a verbal to RE is worth.

LOL. You wanted him to rescind Diaco's offer before he become coach? The moment he became coach without figuring out if the kid could help UConn or not. Thanks Einstein.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Pretty sure the timing has to do with the hiring of the Defensive Coordinator on January 13th. Unless you think that the coaching staff is looking to submarine this particular kid, the more reasonable interpretation is that they realized that this particular player won't be effective in the system they intend to use. In my view far better to let him know as early as possible, rather than let him come to a new school only find out he won't see the field.

UConn was this kid's only FBS offer and FCS schools weren't burning down his door either. It appears that Coach Diaco might have been, let's say, reaching a bit with this offer.

As noted above by others, the NCAA system is what it is. Neither the school nor the athlete is bound until signing day. This is fairly typical occurrence in football and not unheard of in basketball.

Reaction Score
This is college football for you. While I feel bad for the kid I also understand why Edsall did it. He has a short window to turn UConn football around and having players that are going to take up precious scholarships for 4 years and don't fit the system is not the way to do it.

Reaction Score
Side note - apparently even Monmouth took a pass on the kid - UCONN was his only offer. I empathize with him and his family, but a sports scholarship is not a charity.

Eric, the rest of your post I agree with in regards to this unfortunate situation. However, I'm going to clarify this point here.

Please keep in my that he turned down Monmouth because he committed to Connecticut seven months ago and didn't want to go anywhere else. When he found out his scholarship was revoked, his family then tried to call Monmouth to see if the scholarship was still available and Monmouth said hey gave it to someone else. Rhode Island has now offered him a scholarship.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
no surprise here, the guy is a jerk. They could have done better than Randy.

The only thing that allows you to throw stones is Auriemma's W/L %. I have it on good authority that he is no angel. Alas, "it is not the most popular person who gets the job done."

Reaction Score
This is no big deal. Players get flipped at the last minute by higher profile schools all the time and coaches retract scholarships all the time. Edsall needs to do what ever it takes to make the football team into a winning program and becomes relevant. This is big time athletics and big time business and people get left be hind all the time. Guess what, life is not fair and it was never meant to be.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
... I think he's better off knowing what to expect and making a decision that is more beneficial to the young man. Edsel's a stand up guy telling him face to face.

Actually, according to the player's parents, the coach, after confirming the scholarship offer a few days earlier, pulled the offer via a phone call. That isn't being a "stand up guy," nor is it "face to face." If you like or support what the coach did, then that's your right. But let's at least try to get the facts straight to the extent we can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is only one side of the story, and a HORRIFICALLY biased article at that; a journalistic masterpiece it was not, it sounded more like it had been written by the parents than an impartial journalist. Until we know the whole story, we can't judge it.

However, as others have pointed out, UConn is the ONLY FBS school offering a scholarship to this kid. That doesn't say much about his athletic abilities or potential. Likely the reason he got the scholarship is his academic standing, a benchwarmer to pull the team GPA up.

I wish the kid luck, but this is something he should have been prepared for, considering nobody else had any interest. Maybe his parents and coaches didn't guide him effectively in that area. OR maybe they did and now they are just blowing smoke.

It is the way things are today. Can't say that I like it, but...it is within the rules that we are given to play under. :(

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This is only one side of the story, and a HORRIFICALLY biased article at that; a journalistic masterpiece it was not, it sounded more like it had been written by the parents than an impartial journalist. Until we know the whole story, we can't judge it....

This isn't a single publication gone mad. It is, as I type, being discussed by Bob Ley and friends on ESPN. It is all over the web. By itself, this fact implies only a little, but it clearly is of interest beyond Storrs.

Reaction Score
Actually, according to the player's parents, the coach, after confirming the scholarship offer a few days earlier, pulled the offer via a phone call. That isn't being a "stand up guy," nor is it "face to face." If you like or support what the coach did, then that's your right. But let's at least try to get the facts straight to the extent we can.

I"m sorry but that's laughable. We can't get the facts straight, because none of us heard the conversations firsthand, and of the two sides that actually heard the conversation one side is prohibited from saying anything.

I haven't heard anyone say that it would have been morally o.k. to flat out lie to the kid, even though we know it happens all the time in recruiting (and all other businesses). But there is no rational basis to conclude that that is what happened here. It's likely that the staff was trying to give a very soft, be patient message and the kid simply heard what he wanted to hear.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This isn't a single publication gone mad. It is, as I type, being discussed by Bob Ley and friends on ESPN. It is all over the web. By itself, this fact implies only a little, but it clearly is of interest beyond Storrs.
Well, as long as ESPN is reporting on it, it must be true.

:oops:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I"m sorry but that's laughable. We can't get the facts straight, because none of us heard the conversations firsthand, and of the two sides that actually heard the conversation one side is prohibited from saying anything...It's likely that the staff was trying to give a very soft, be patient message and the kid simply heard what he wanted to hear.

And you think my post is laughable? OK. You win. SMH....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom