Edsall wasn't any better in the beginning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall wasn't any better in the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need to see more of Boyle. He has not been good this year. At all. I am extremely concerned that there is belief he will be our starting qb next year. With that said, what doe it hurt putting him out there the rest of the year? Maybe the light goes on. It is very doubtful, but it could happen.

Reaction Score
In your own mind sure.

You pushed for 7-8 games of Orlovsky in 2001. They went 2-10 and you lost his 2005 season for it.

Yes but Orlovsky was the answer and Herny was eventually moved to WR.

So yes I guess that makes you a super genius.

Your continued point on Boyle can only be right in your mind. He's had chances. He can't play. Playing him makes it nearly impossible to score a touchdown nevermind win a game.

I simply don't agree he had a fair chance this year. And my larger issue remains. We had no chance to win with Whitmer. Even if Boyle turns out to be worse, it still doesn't make Whitmer any better.

He gets a fair chance every day in practice. I know you want to compare Iverson's attitude towards practice to a college football team but it only makes you seem more insane to anyone rational.

Here's something many people don't understand. Football is unlike other sports because of the amount of time that practice consumes versus games. In basketball, soccer, hockey, baseball (virtually every other sport) there are numerous games every week. Practice consumes much less time than the full week, sometimes two that football does. Football coaches control every aspect of practice. That is very seductive. Then there is a game for three hours. Football coaches are much more likely to believe what they see in practice. Coaches from other sports have much more balance between practice and games. And in other sports, the substitution rate in games allows coaches to see players in both situations.

It's why you will see a football team play awful and the coach come out and say what a good week of practice they had but it didn't translate. You never see a baseball coach talk about how great his team was in the batting cage. Practice is important but the games are more important. You can see this process playing out with Diaco.

I think this is why football coaches (even HOFers) make crazy personnel mistakes like starting Scott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms. It's tough for a football coach to disregard practice when players are gamers. And yes, it is why there is a kernel of truth in the Iverson approach. Of course, Iverson went way to far is a bit crazy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
DUDE EVERYONE KNEW ORLOVSKY WAS BETTER THAN HENRY HE WAS TRYING TO REDSHIRT HIM.

Even if Boyle is worse that doesn't make Whitmer better?

Maybe you just don't understand English: Because yes if Boyle is worse then by the definition of the word WHITMER IS BETTER.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Boyle should play the string out, but he is definitely not the answer. If he wasn't a CONNETIKUT HIGH SKOOL KID!!!1111 everyone would realize he isn't very good. But NUTMEG PRIDE and all that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's mind boggling how you watch college football highlights literally the past decade and teams are passing the ball all over the place from the Big12 to the MAC and in that time we haven't had more than 1 full season of legitimate FBS quarterbacking. Aside from TL first half of 2007 and the end of 2009 with ZF there's just nothing there at all.

Reaction Score
Boyle should play the string out, but he is definitely not the answer. If he wasn't a CONNETIKUT HIGH SKOOL KID!!!1111 everyone would realize he isn't very good. But NUTMEG PRIDE and all that.

I think you are off base with the Nutmeg Pride stuff, nobody cares where Boyle is from. The idea was if we are losing why not lose with a kid who will be here next year, CT Pride has nothing to do with it. Diaco created the QB debate when he burned Boyle's redshirt when it was unnecessary.

If Shirreffs could play everyone would want to see him play.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
It's mind boggling how you watch college football highlights literally the past decade and teams are passing the ball all over the place from the Big12 to the MAC and in that time we haven't had more than 1 full season of legitimate FBS quarterbacking. Aside from TL first half of 2007 and the end of 2009 with ZF there's just nothing there at all.

Casey put up huge numbers to end last year. Cody Endres could sling the ball too but his career went up in smoke. We've had some good QBs, but they either transfer without getting a chance (Nebrich), get hurt or screw up.

Boyle has a cannon arm and can be a good QB somewhere. He isn't going to be one in this system. Davis or Sherrifs will be the QB next year and there is no doubt in my mind. I think Diaco knows this and he just isn't going to say it until one of them takes the job. This is why playing Boyle isn't imperative to him. He knows Boyle is a backup at best. Of course, Tim is the starter "unless someone beats him out". The other guys aren't even enrolled yet.

If in fact we do go with a dual threat QB, the big question is, why aren't we playing Foxx more and installing an offense built around the option QB? It seems a no brainier to me that if that is the plan, Foxx should be our starter. Diaco's recruiting certainly indicates that running QBs fit the model he envisions. I'd rather see Foxx the rest of the way and see how it goes. Start getting the rest of the guys ready for the future.

Reaction Score
I have said this for years. You can't make it up how we struggle to pass the damn ball. MAC schools trot out 3 and 4 k yd passers like its no thing. We have had two 2k yd passing seasons from our QBs post Orlovsky and one is from Whitmer. I'm not talking about combined totals.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The QB's in the Harvard Yale game were miles ahead of anyone we've had in the last decade.

Reaction Score
The QB's in the Harvard Yale game were miles ahead of anyone we've had in the last decade.

Yup. And UMass who has been D1 for 2 mins puts up 30-40 points per game.

The only conclusion I can come to is that UConn simply doesn't take football seriously. We've had clues they don't which is why Edsall was looking for a way out for years.

I would love if someone in CT would do some research to see how much money we put into football compared to other schools. If we are putting in the resources and this is the best we can do...Good lord.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Casey put up huge numbers to end last year. Cody Endres could sling the ball too but his career went up in smoke. We've had some good QBs, but they either transfer without getting a chance (Nebrich), get hurt or screw up.

Boyle has a cannon arm and can be a good QB somewhere. He isn't going to be one in this system. Davis or Sherrifs will be the QB next year and there is no doubt in my mind. I think Diaco knows this and he just isn't going to say it until one of them takes the job. This is why playing Boyle isn't imperative to him. He knows Boyle is a backup at best. Of course, Tim is the starter "unless someone beats him out". The other guys aren't even enrolled yet.

If in fact we do go with a dual threat QB, the big question is, why aren't we playing Foxx more and installing an offense built around the option QB? It seems a no brainier to me that if that is the plan, Foxx should be our starter. Diaco's recruiting certainly indicates that running QBs fit the model he envisions. I'd rather see Foxx the rest of the way and see how it goes. Start getting the rest of the guys ready for the future.

I refuse to see how not staying healthy, getting suspended, or failing to win the job in practice is any better than over-throwing balls to open receivers. I agree with BD on the point that winning football is a culture that starts when you get up the first morning of the preseason and doesn't end until the last whistle of the final game.

And I will continue to say that whomever has passed through this program and couldn't beat out the underwhelming incumbents wasn't all that to begin with and isn't worth wondering the time to wonder, "What if?"

Reaction Score
Difference between the Randy Edsall early years and Bob Diaco? Those early years for Edsall was setting the groundwork for a bright future: a jump to big time football, a impending membership in a quality football conference (Miami, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, etc.), a new stadium, an excited fan base. Now? Almost zero prospects to look forward to. A crappy conference that has killed UConn's ability to recruit top notch talent. A terrible 4 seasons that make UConn perhaps the weakest program in that crappy conference, which in turn has killed UConn's ability to recruit top notch talent.

UConn, as the program now stands, would be hard pressed to beat New Hampshire, Maine and others in the CAA and these are programs they had left behind for bigger and better things a short decade ago. Thank you Jeff Hathaway, Paul Pasqualoni and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom