Edsall Justification Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall Justification Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was a terrible hire. What he brings to the table is not what UConn needs. You won't be entertained by an aerial circus, for sure, but you won't win either. Randy's style of football won't be as effective as his first tour. He will not win here with run, run, run.

The great thing about predictions my friend is that no one can say that you might not be right. It will take time. But how about accepting that given how bad things have been, the fans who think we got better this week deserve a chance to find out without UConn fans tearing the new regime down before it's taken the field.

Reaction Score
The great thing about predictions my friend is that no one can say that you might not be right. It will take time. But how about accepting that given how bad things have been, the fans who think we got better this week deserve a chance to find out without UConn fans tearing the new regime down before it's taken the field.

UConn fans were just happy to have Diaco gone. They just want to be happy about something. Heck, there are fans who are not happy with Kevin Ollie, but do we bring back Dom Perno (since JC has heath issues).

You and i never saw eye to eye when Randy was here and we did, with Bobby. It was fun in an odd sort of way (we both hated losing). But, this move defys logic, when we were all pleading for some offense to help us compete.

So, my friend, we won't evet agree on this but Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

Reaction Score
I so much want to be optimistic about this move but part of me says we should tell Randy to pound sand and never look back, and that is the rational part of me.

Reaction Score
The AAC is not that much worse than the BE. Perception wise maybe. Talent wise no.

Bowl results (and bowl slots) indicate otherwise. Didn't the BE use to play in Fiesta, Sugar and Otange Bowls?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Bowl results (and bowl slots) indicate otherwise. Didn't the BE use to play in Fiesta, Sugar and Otange Bowls?
Perception wise. Bowl results don't mean anything for the AAC because half their bowl teams usually lose their coach before the game.

Reaction Score
Perception wise. Bowl results don't mean anything for the AAC because half their bowl teams usually lose their coach before the game.

How about bowl slots. AAC make the Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, Cotton Bowls? Buehler?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
How about bowl slots. AAC make the Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, Cotton Bowls? Buehler?
What part of perception wise do you not understand? The Big 12 champ (Oklahoma) got carjacked by the fourth place team in the AAC West (Houston). The AAC was arguably better (and not just based on that one game) than the Big 12 this year. They still get loser bowls because the other conferences cut them out.

Reaction Score
What part of perception wise do you not understand? The Big 12 champ (Oklahoma) got carjacked by the fourth place team in the AAC West (Houston). The AAC was arguably better (and not just based on that one game) than the Big 12 this year. They still get loser bowls because the other conferences cut them out.

Lets you and i make a bet. I'll take Big 12, you take AAC. We will have them play against each other: 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v3 and so on. How well do you think that turns out. And OU vs Houston at end of season.? Different outcome.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Lets you and i make a bet. I'll take Big 12, you take AAC. We will have them play against each other: 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v3 and so on. How well do you think that turns out. And OU vs Houston at end of season.? Different outcome.
I have a good history with betting. You'll probably lose this one. If you are referring to Houston embarassing showing in their bowl game, they didn't have Herman.

Reaction Score
I have a good history with betting. You'll probably lose this one. If you are referring to Houston embarassing showing in their bowl game, they didn't have Herman.

And can anyone even remember what bowl a 9-3 AAC team was invited to. Houston should have won that with you coaching. Whats the AAC bowl record for this year?

Reaction Score
I so much want to be optimistic about this move but part of me says we should tell Randy to pound sand and never look back, and that is the rational part of me.
Hey Kolumbo,
Hope that is the emotional and not the rational. Many here want a successful program. Telling him to "pound sand" as you alluded sounds "irrational", doesn't bring us any closer to success. To be successful, we have to come together and support those players. The present Huskies and new recruits had nothing to do with Randy leaving 6 years ago.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
And can anyone even remember what bowl a 9-3 AAC team was invited to. Houston should have won that with you coaching. Whats the AAC bowl record for this year?
It's called lack of motivation. Houston also smashed Louisville by over 20 points. Is SDSU better than Houston? no. Their coach left and they didn't give a crap.

Reaction Score
It's called lack of motivation. Houston also smashed Louisville by over 20 points. Is SDSU better than Houston? no. Their coach left and they didn't give a crap.

OK, sell that to the television broadcast outlets. The AAC is now a Power Conference.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
OK, sell that to the television broadcast outlets. The AAC is now a Power Conference.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here but the perception is not there. The regular season (and major bowl game) results, however, speak for themselves. The ACC and Big 12 are not far ahead of the AAC. Perception (partially faux) is created by the power conferences to keep the AAC from being seen as anywher near equivalent.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are getting at here but the perception is not there. The regular season (and major bowl game) results, however, speak for themselves. The ACC and Big 12 are not far ahead of the AAC. Perception (partially faux) is created by the power conferences to keep the AAC from being seen as anywher near equivalent.
I wish. But OK.

Reaction Score
CERTAIN ITEMS
Items which should be no concern or cause for MY heartburn, aggita OR heart attacks.
1.Coaching up players
2.Evaluating coaching talent.
3.Getting thru tough off the field issues. Let's not forget #6....
4. TEAM Academic progress rate.
5.no new stadiums in 2ND TIME AROUND.
6.HCRE can manage a game clock.
7.HCRE believes in returning punts.
8.Knows importance of Coach Foley.
9. is not about to leave if he tastes success. Advantage to Husky nation for the long term

My Biggest concern:
David Benedict and Randy Edsel finding the best available OC IN THE
COUNTRY and get him here.

2nd biggest concern:
Get Coach Foley back here and let him do what needs to be done.

3rd concern.
Suzie needs to take control of admissions and give HCRE the player admissions to succeed.

Another not to be overlooked reason this is a good hire right now. The last thing this program needs is to bring in some hotshot young 1st time coach who catches lightning in a bottle and goes say 9-3, 10-2 his 2nd year and we immediately lose him to a Power 5 team. A very likely possibility with someone like Moorhead. Edsall is done being the next hot young coach and he knows how the grass is not always greener somewhere else, so besides everything else discussed above you gain necessary stability. Also we will never again lose a game do to poor clock management or a lack of understanding the importance of field position.

Reaction Score
Another not to be overlooked reason this is a good hire right now. The last thing this program needs is to bring in some hotshot young 1st time coach who catches lightning in a bottle and goes say 9-3, 10-2 his 2nd year and we immediately lose him to a Power 5 team. A very likely possibility with someone like Moorhead. Edsall is done being the next hot young coach and he knows how the grass is not always greener somewhere else, so besides everything else discussed above you gain necessary stability. Also we will never again lose a game do to poor clock management or a lack of understanding the importance of field position.

I would have given up my left arm to have that "problem".

Reaction Score
Given the present state of Husky Football, prospects for the near future, and budgeting constraints, Edsall was probably the only brand name who would consider the head coaching position. Randy is a Dandy selection. Everyone in Storrs bought Diaco's BS, hook, line, and sinker. He was nothing more than a snake oil salesman who was not prepared for a HC position. At least with Edsall, you know what you are getting.

Yes, someone who will leave in 3 years for 'his dream job'. Oh well, at least I can go boating instead of watching UConn FB. I thought getting DB from Auburn would be great when we needed to replace BD, but this move is going to hurt us. Who else would hire their ex coach? None of the Football schools....

Reaction Score
Given the present state of Husky Football, prospects for the near future, and budgeting constraints, Edsall was probably the only brand name who would consider the head coaching position. Randy is a Dandy selection. Everyone in Storrs bought Diaco's BS, hook, line, and sinker. He was nothing more than a snake oil salesman who was not prepared for a HC position. At least with Edsall, you know what you are getting.

I'm mad....I was looking to see a better hire. Randy, IMHO, left for 'his dream job' without flying back with the team. There is an old saying...'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.' Randy might fool us again...we are giving him a chance...

Reaction Score
Ironically, Tom Coughlin is being interviewed by the Jacksonville Jaguars for his old job.

Yeah but the difference is that guy succeeded on the biggest stage. RE not so much - i'll give RE credit for making the move from the proverbial trailers into the rent and all that entailed along the way - that's no small feat and along the way he beat the teams he was supposed to beat and his teams never shot themselves in the foot - that is a significant improvement over the past two hires.

But goodness this hire is about as exciting as a Tabasco enema and it's real disappointing to know RE was the best option.

I guess I had higher hopes - I don't know, I just don't know.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Close your eyes (after you read this):

Your sitting in your seat at the Rent, or anyone else's seat because they aren't there anytime over the last 6 years as we are losing to a Western Michigan, struggling with Maine, toyed with by Temple, did you not say to yourself, I miss the days of Randy?

After 6 years of this crap we have been forced to endure, Randy represents the following:

• a program builder- he built this thing and can fix the issues
  • He identified talent
  • we had strong lines and that is what wins you games
  • He utilized what our strengths were - when he had Danny O - we had over 3,000 yards in passing and over 1,000 on the ground and one year I believe gave up the fewest sacks. When our QB's weren't so good, we still had an overpowering running game. We haven't had any of this since he left.
  • Our Defense was solid against everything but a running QB
  • We never had another pro QB after Danny O
We need to see how he has evolved over the last 6 years before we pass judgement but past performance at UCONN tells us he will do a good job. Right now, I will take anything over those stinkbombs of the last 6 years. And in 4 years, when we go 8-4, I will remember the crappy days of PP and Fiasco and realize- what we have is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah but the difference is that guy succeeded on the biggest stage. RE not so much - i'll give RE credit for making the move from the proverbial trailers into the rent and all that entailed along the way - that's no small feat and along the way he beat the teams he was supposed to beat and his teams never shot themselves in the foot - that is a significant improvement over the past two hires.

But goodness this hire is about as exciting as a Tabasco enema and it's real disappointing to know RE was the best option.

I guess I had higher hopes - I don't know, I just don't know.
I agree...if Randy is the best out there, I would have kept BD around for another year. How many years did he sign for? Think he'll stay? RE was a good coach for us, but he left us high and dry...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I agree...if Randy is the best out there, I would have kept BD around for another year. How many years did he sign for? Think he'll stay? RE was a good coach for us, but he left us high and dry...
He's 59. He's not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Close your eyes (after you read this):

Your sitting in your seat at the Rent, or anyone else's seat because they aren't there anytime over the last 6 years as we are losing to a Western Michigan, struggling with Maine, toyed with by Temple, did you not say to yourself, I miss the days of Randy?

After 6 years of this crap we have been forced to endure, Randy represents the following:

• a program builder- he built this thing and can fix the issues
  • He identified talent
  • we had strong lines and that is what wins you games
  • He utilized what our strengths were - when he had Danny O - we had over 3,000 yards in passing and over 1,000 on the ground and one year I believe gave up the fewest sacks. When our QB's weren't so good, we still had an overpowering running game. We haven't had any of this since he left.
  • Our Defense was solid against everything but a running QB
  • We never had another pro QB after Danny O
We need to see how he has evolved over the last 6 years before we pass judgement but past performance at UCONN tells us he will do a good job. Right now, I will take anything over those stinkbombs of the last 6 years. And in 4 years, when we go 8-4, I will remember the crappy days of PP and Fiasco and realize- what we have is a good thing.

I agree with it all but my question is this. Why did HuskydogArt give you a like?

I had to put him on ignore after his rants about the hiring of Randy.

A crack pipe, a bottle of Jack and the boneyard does crazy things to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom