Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program (Altavilla) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program (Altavilla)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Point is: UConn should be more concerned about improving its recruiting to win in college. Gettting to NFL is a by product. I'm sure UConn has more players in NFL than many of the 11 teams in AAC that finished above them.
Byron Jones, Geremy Davis, Andrew Adams, Obi Melifonwu, Noel Thomas were NFL caliber players who had the misfortune of playing for a coach in Diaco who sucked, couldn't get plays in time and didn't know how to use timeouts. We need more players like that, not less. Edsall while not your favorite or mine has shown he can win with those caliber of players.

Reaction Score
We went through this whole debate in Randy Part 1. If he recruited so well UConn would have done better against WVU, Cincy and Michigan. UConn had limitations. I admit Randy found some underrecruited players, but he would have done better with better recruiting. College football 101: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Right now, I'd settle for BC,or Rutger recruits.

Wait a minute............I want to make sure I've got this..........what you're saying is.........if Randy recruited better his teams would have done better..........

Ponderous man.........wow!

Reaction Score
Byron Jones, Geremy Davis, Andrew Adams, Obi Melifonwu, Noel Thomas were NFL caliber players who had the misfortune of playing for a coach in Diaco who sucked, couldn't get plays in time and didn't know how to use timeouts. We need more players like that, not less. Edsall while not your favorite or mine has shown he can win with those caliber of players.

I agree with you on players. I agree with you on BD (I was one of the first to call for he to be fired . . . last season). I agree with you that we need more players like that (kind of my point). Where we disagree is on Edsall being able to recruit well enough. Also, was it me or did you fail to name a QB on your list? Oh wait, Randy has shown that other than Dan O, he can't recruit top QBs .

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
How about a call to Jay Rose? Did we ever get the full story on him?
Could have just been he saw how screwed up Fiasco was right away
In terms of Jay Rose, he wanted to go back home in order to be closer to his gf....no joke. I've heard he plans on playing at CCSU next year

Reaction Score
Wait a minute..I want to make sure I've got this.....what you're saying is....if Randy recruited better his teams would have done better.....

Ponderous man....wow!
Yes!!!! You got it. No one said he couldn't coach . . . . defense. But watch the excitement in tonight's Rose Bowl . . . nothing about Randy should lead anyone to think his offense will be much better that Bobby-Boy D's.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on players. I agree with you on BD (I was one of the first to call for he to be fired . . . last season). I agree with you that we need more players like that (kind of my point). Where we disagree is on Edsall being able to recruit well enough. Also, was it me or did you fail to name a QB on your list? Oh wait, Randy has shown that other than Dan O, he can't recruit top QBs .
I'm in no mood to take a chance on an unproven coach. I want to see competence on game days. The UVA game this year and the Boise game his 1st year were 2 home games I really wanted to punch myself in the face in the stands.

I get it about the QBs. P recruited a couple good ones Cochran and Lagow. You want him back?

Reaction Score
I'm in no mood to take a chance on an unproven coach. I want to see competence on game days. The UVA game this year and the Boise game his 1st year were 2 home games I really wanted to punch myself in the face in the stands.

I get it about the QBs. P recruited a couple good ones Cochran and Lagow. You want him back?

P may have recruited them, but in Cochran's case, he didn't put him on the field till he was fired. TJ finally used him and for three games at the end of the season, UConn had an exciting offense and won all three games.

Reaction Score
No thanks. I don't want Byron Jones's who make it NFL, I want UConn teams to make bowl games, to be the kind of team people get excited about and want to see and teams that gain national recognition.

And, BTW I liked B. Jones. Hes a great young man and athlete.

So do we... but essentially you are saying you want to do it without future NFLers, so we are confused about your overall point.

Reaction Score
So do we... but essentially you are saying you want to do it without future NFLers, so we are confused about your overall point.

Too many fans here tout Randy's recruiting "under the radars" and coaching them up into NFL'ers. So why didn't he win more? He may be able to coach kids up, but he was not a good recruiter. Wish UConn had brought him back as a D coordinator. What does he know about offense?

Reaction Score
Too many fans here tout Randy's recruiting "under the radars" and coaching them up into NFL'ers. So why didn't he win more? He may be able to coach kids up, but he was not a good recruiter. Wish UConn had brought him back as a D coordinator. What does he know about offense?
He better bring in someone with a lot of creativity to do it for him. I'm willing to bet second time around he's going to take some chances. Why not. What's he got to lose now?

Reaction Score
Yes!!!! You got it. No one said he couldn't coach . . . . defense. But watch the excitement in tonight's Rose Bowl . . . nothing about Randy should lead anyone to think his offense will be much better that Bobby-Boy D's.
Unless he now gets it, i.e., that he has to bring in an offensive minded OC and just leave him alone. I'm hoping that now, at his age, in his second chance, Randy gets that. If not then well, we gonna suck bad. I'm hoping for a rebirth of spirit.

Reaction Score

If he wasn't a good recruiter, then how in the world did all those players make the NFL? Are you saying that the people running pro football are dumb? That instead we should buy Street & Smith's to figure out who the talented kids really are? And ignore the fact that Edsall's guys are playing in the NFL while the Street & Smith's guys are flipping burgers?

Reaction Score

One of the offensive coordinators in the Rose Bowl is named Joe Moorehead. You might have heard of him. Maybe you can say to Randy, if only you had hired a guy like Moorehead last time you coached here!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he wasn't a good recruiter, then how in the world did all those players make the NFL? Are you saying that the people running pro football are dumb? That instead we should buy Street & Smith's to figure out who the talented kids really are? And ignore the fact that Edsall's guys are playing in the NFL while the Street & Smith's guys are flipping burgers?

I think it's fair to say he was a incredible judge of potential other than he was a great recruiter.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say he was a incredible judge of potential other than he was a great recruiter.

I know it's semantics, but judging the potential of prospective student athletes is EXACTLY what recruiting is. I know what you're saying; starting point matters. But so does the ending point...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know it's semantics, but judging the potential of prospective student athletes is EXACTLY what recruiting is. I know what you're saying; starting point matters. But so does the ending point...

I guess I'd separate into two things....

1. Selling the players everyone knows are good to come to your school.

2. Finding players that nobody wants who provide value.

I don't care how you balance the two in order to win - but if you can coach up guys from category 2 imaging what you can do with some category 1 guys.

Reaction Score
One of the offensive coordinators in the Rose Bowl is named Joe Moorehead. You might have heard of him. Maybe you can say to Randy, if only you had hired a guy like Moorehead last time you coached here!!!

Then why wasn't UConn better under Randy Edsall the first time. You know maybe a top 25 finish a couple times.

Reaction Score
Then why wasn't UConn better under Randy Edsall the first time. You know maybe a top 25 finish a couple times.

Everyone will have different conclusions.

But, it wasn't Joe Moorehead's fault. You also can't blame a lack of NFL type talents.

You can blame gameday coaching, you can blame lack of a QB, whatever.

But it certainly isn't lack of NFL kids and Joe Moorehead.

Reaction Score

I can see what you're saying but, if we're going to parse words, "potential" makes me think of a kid who has not yet blozzomed, but who through good development (coaching, whatever) can turn into a really good player. I don't think that is apt for Edsall's kids. Sure, there were the Mike Hicks types, who fell into that category, but Terry Caulley and Darius Butler were already good from day 1. There were just kids who didn't get big D1 offers who should have, kids that Randy beat out other P5 schools for. These were not kids with potential. They were ready to go from day 1.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can see what you're saying but, if we're going to parse words, "potential" makes me think of a kid who has not yet blozzomed, but who through good development (coaching, whatever) can turn into a really good player. I don't think that is apt for Edsall's kids. Sure, there were the Mike Hicks types, who fell into that category, but Terry Caulley and Darius Butler were already good from day 1. There were just kids who didn't get big D1 offers who should have, kids that Randy beat out other P5 schools for. These were not kids with potential. They were ready to go from day 1.

Yeah I don't think we are disagreeing. You are right he was so good he could even pull a few kids who could contribute on day 1, but I think his best talent was pulling kids he thought he could mold that no one else knew existed. He just wasn't a guy in the past who was going to go out and sell many kids on picking UConn over BC or Syracuse - but he won even without that skill. Maybe since he's all in now he'll beat Temple and Memphis and USF on kids and dismantle them in the league.

Reaction Score
Everyone will have different conclusions.

But, it wasn't Joe Moorehead's fault. You also can't blame a lack of NFL type talents.

You can blame gameday coaching, you can blame lack of a QB, whatever.

But it certainly isn't lack of NFL kids and Joe Moorehead.

OK.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I remember that being the rumor, but it always sounded far fetched to me.
What harm would a simple call do is all. Maybe his situation changed?
might sound far fetched but its not, sure you can try a call but do you really wanna take that risk on a kid whos heart isnt in it?

Reaction Score
Point is: UConn should be more concerned about improving its recruiting to win in college. Gettting to NFL is a by product. I'm sure UConn has more players in NFL than many of the 11 teams in AAC that finished above them.
Current players in NFL don't help us now. We need to get back to having a roster with several players who are prospects to play in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom