Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program (Altavilla) | The Boneyard

Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program (Altavilla)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Too bad this tool Altavilla was so busy doing Mike Anthony's job...he forgot that the team he covers on a beat had a game yesterday and won a tournament trophy for the first time in 13 years...beating a top 20 tema in the process to get to the final....all while missing 2 of it's top players who are by the way laying lights out in the World Junior's. This guy is a such duck*ing tool!

Reaction Score
Hard to disagree with anything in the article. UConn is not going to attract 4/5 star recruits right now, but Edsall has proven he can achieve success with under-the-radar type athletes. It seems like Edsall, Benedict and the UConn hierarchy are willing to do what it takes (based on the last sentence) to become attractive to a P5. Recruit kids that fit Edsall's system, get them through admissions, coach them up, win games/conference/ bowl games, fill the Rent.

Reaction Score
UConn already paid its due with "under-the-radar" recruits. Thats what Randy used the first time, now UConn should be getting its share of on-the-radar kids. The program slipped back to the days of 1999-2002.

Reaction Score
Hard to disagree with anything in the article. UConn is not going to attract 4/5 star recruits right now, but Edsall has proven he can achieve success with under-the-radar type athletes. It seems like Edsall, Benedict and the UConn hierarchy are willing to do what it takes (based on the last sentence) to become attractive to a P5. Recruit kids that fit Edsall's system, get them through admissions, coach them up, win games/conference/ bowl games, fill the Rent.
UCONN never did get 4 or 5 stars. Get the 3 star guys, and coach them up.

Reaction Score
That would be great - getting 3 star kids. But, its not the stars that matter, its more about the caliber of the programs you beat out to get them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Too bad this tool Altavilla was so busy doing Mike Anthony's job...he forgot that the team he covers on a beat had a game yesterday and won a tournament trophy for the first time in 13 years...beating a top 20 tema in the process to get to the final....all while missing 2 of it's top players who are by the way laying lights out in the World Junior's. This guy is a such duck*ing tool!

I'm guessing the Courant doesn't send the hockey beat writer on flights? Not really his fault.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing the Courant doesn't send the hockey beat writer on flights? Not really his fault.
Mike Anthony used to do games via radio/USCHO summary's last season then would call Cav to do a bit of a Q&A before typing his article. He at least gave the beat some effort.

Reaction Score
Randy needs to do two things differently than he did last time. First, he needs aggressive coordinators that make him better. He needs to accept that his OC needs to be able to do his job and that he is in charge of the offense because he is good at it. Randy can't handcuff him like he did with Moorhead and Ambrose. He must delegate to great coordinators. He can collaborate and consult but he can't try to do it all himself.

Second, he needs to recruit based on what UConn offers in terms of facilities, resources, education and most importantly, putting kids in the NFL. No more playing underdog all the time. Walk in and say "I'm Randy Edsall, I'm back at UConn where I won two Big East championships and played in the Fiesta Bowl. I've got a laundry list of kids in the NFL and none of them were as good as you are in high school. Come help us get back to that level and play right away".

I have no idea if any of this would work but I always feel like there is something lacking in the recruiting presentation. Why can certain schools in G5 conferences recruit so much better with so little brand equity, inferior attendance and inferior facilities? There has got to be a way to sell what we have. My feeling has always been we need better sales people (recruiters).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony used to do games via radio/USCHO summary's last season then would call Cav to do a bit of a Q&A before typing his article. He at least gave the beat some effort.

The problem for me getting really into the program is just so few games on TV.

Hockey East doesn't really seem to do much with the TV rights.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if any of this would work but I always feel like there is something lacking in the recruiting presentation. Why can certain schools in G5 conferences recruit so much better with so little brand equity, inferior attendance and inferior facilities? There has got to be a way to sell what we have. My feeling has always been we need better sales people (recruiters).
Randy had trouble landing QBs and WRs because of the boring offense he insisted on. Remember, it was RE who left the QB cupboard so bare that a walk on had to start in 2011. And, for someone who had a good record for recruiting RBs, there was only McCombs to have to carry the ball 38 times per game.

Reaction Score
Randy needs to do two things differently than he did last time. First, he needs aggressive coordinators that make him better. He needs to accept that his OC needs to be able to do his job and that he is in charge of the offense because he is good at it. Randy can't handcuff him like he did with Moorhead and Ambrose. He must delegate to great coordinators. He can collaborate and consult but he can't try to do it all himself.

Second, he needs to recruit based on what UConn offers in terms of facilities, resources, education and most importantly, putting kids in the NFL. No more playing underdog all the time. Walk in and say "I'm Randy Edsall, I'm back at UConn where I won two Big East championships and played in the Fiesta Bowl. I've got a laundry list of kids in the NFL and none of them were as good as you are in high school. Come help us get back to that level and play right away".

You're 100% right! Those were Edsall's downfalls. He definitely knows how to find great Coordinators: Moorehead, Orlando, Ambrose to name a few, but like you said, he needs to let them loose and allow them to do what they do best. Great points!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I can't stand McMurphy. Just sayin. Pretentious a#ole...

Reaction Score
The way I look at this rebuild is this.

When he started the transition from FCS to FBS he had FCS players and had to transition to FBS with trailers and had to find dreamers and overachievers to start the process.

I'll bet some people either don't know or have forgotten, that the first 3 years as a full fledge FBS team (after 2 years of transition to get to full scholarship limit of 85) they went 6-6, 9-3 and actually went 8-4 in their first year in the Big East and kicked ass in their first bowl game. .

So if he can build something that special from scratch, what can he do with amazing facilities, an education that is far superior from what it was 17 years ago, and a roster that is better than most think. (certainly better than a team full of FCS players he started with the first time.

Give him a year to coach 'em up and I think it's not a long rebuild.

The OC and coaching staff will obviously be important so here's hoping.

Reaction Score
Exactly....but there are some guys on here they believe UConn should be getting 4/5 star kids and that a bigger name head coach would guarantee that.

Reaction Score
That would be great - getting 3 star kids. But, its not the stars that matter, its more about the caliber of the programs you beat out to get them.
No, it's about your ability to get the kids who come in to play at the highest level on the field. UConn brought in top 80-90 ranked classes and frequently finished the season ranked in the top 30-50 in the country with multiple players making NFL rosters. Recruiting is half the game, the other (and more important) half is coaching the guys and putting the product on the field.

Reaction Score
Wish we could get some updates on who's being considered at OC & DC.... Hopefully starting tomorrow that starts

FWIW - the "posted" closing date on the OC/DC jobs is 11:59 PM eastern on January 4, 2017.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The rebuild will go as fast as the QB and O Line develop. If Randy can improve the O Line so a QB can get to his second option, that alone will be a monumental improvement. He wants someone who can pass and run- the 2 QB's we have currently)Shireffs and Williams) can do that. I would love a Quinton Flowers or Greg Ward type- someone who was a great athlete who in a spread offense could use instincts as opposed to reads. DJ was our best running QB(Tyler wasn't bad) but other than the Deshon Foxx wildcat- we have never had speed to burn from the QB position.

Reaction Score
No, it's about your ability to get the kids who come in to play at the highest level on the field. UConn brought in top 80-90 ranked classes and frequently finished the season ranked in the top 30-50 in the country with multiple players making NFL rosters. Recruiting is half the game, the other (and more important) half is coaching the guys and putting the product on the field.
So how programs tbat are in these bowl games manage burdened with 5 star and many 4 star players? And why were UConn's better years only 8-5 with all that product on the field?

Reaction Score

Nobody expects a National Championship anytime soon, but I'm sure the on-field product will be damn near night and day compared to PP and BD regimes. Whether it happens overnight or fairly gradually, the team should at least start to look competent and enthused again. That and bowl eligibility is bare minimum for this program. Edsall doesn't have to move mountains, just return the program to looking competent and competitive and maybe move further eventually.

Losses are one thing, but there's been far too many "tail between legs" losses the past six years that have pretty much devastated the perception of the program. At least Edsall is already invested in righting the ship because it's pretty much been his baby since UConn joined FBS.

Just watched Jeff Jacobs on Fox Sportsdesk last night eluding to Diaco's immaturity costing him the job and potentially crippling the program even further. It's just a relief to have an adult back, rather than a hot shot caught up in his own hype and wanting to be the smartest guy in the room without earning it yet, which is ultimately what Diaco became.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom