Easy Solution for B12 Expansion | The Boneyard

Easy Solution for B12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1) Expand by 6 all sports members immediately, take as much money as you can from the networks.

2) Earmark every dollar of that money towards starting your own network, to roll out in 5-6 years, allowing for a 2-3 year ramp up period before the current media deal expires. Initially, show Tier 3 stuff, replays, and coaches shows. Price it low to build a subscriber base.

Best if this can be accompanied by a GOR extension, but even without, it's a decent plan.

Network can even be digital only, since most things will likely transition that way anyway.

By that point, Texas may even be receptive to rolling the Longhorn network in, since they'll be closer to the end of their deal.

Lots of possibilities here.

Grab the $$ while you can and invest it to make something bigger and better than what you have now.

FLAME AWAY...

Reaction Score
Build it and they will come.

The Field of Dreams.....appropriately

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I opened this thinking, we'll this oughta be good. Not bad, if a bit outdated.

Running their own network is something they could do, but decided against it due to the uncertainty of broad distribution. (See LHN, ACCn)

There are to parts to media rights, content and distribution. The XII can eventually control its content after the current deals expire. The problem is distribution. How is the XII going to get on non-tier cable systems in states not named Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas? Oh they could agree to be on a pay tier like the BTN in CT, but they brings in few dollars and fewer eyeballs.

What about streaming? Always an option but, again who is looking for XII games in the rest of the country. Cord cutters aside, the leagues make their money by being available to people who may or may not watch the content (See, Rutgers, Big Ten).

While this current model is shifting, basic cable is still where the money and eyeballs are whether you are on a branded network or the mother ships of ESPN, Fox, NBC, CBS, or ABC.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the pro rata clause is only valid on up to 14 teams, so adding 6 would make them less money than 4.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the pro rata clause is only valid on up to 14 teams, so adding 6 would make them less money than 4.

The only reason I said 6 is because I've seen it reported recently that the pro rata if for up to 6 teams.

Agree if the pro rata is only for 4 to stay at 4.

Reaction Score
What are these 6 teams that are going to generate tons of extra revenue for the conference?

Reaction Score
What are these 6 teams that are going to generate tons of extra revenue for the conference?

Honestly, I don't understand your question.

You are aware that the B12's contract includes a ProRata increase for (some say) 4 or (others say) 6 new teams, right?

You also understand that the B12's contract goes like 8 mores years, correct?

And finally, you do understand that none of the new teams are going to receive anything close to a full share?

This has all been discussed at length not only on this board, but all over the interwebs.

B12 could add Central, Southern, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart and Yale (assuming it's 6) and the payout to the B12 would be the same as if they added UConn, Cinci, Houston, BYU, UCF, and USF. (I'm not advocating that strategy - they should still add the best available schools.)

Put all that money into a B12 digital and/or terrestrial network and tell the networks to F off in 8 years while you sell them a Saturday package for OTA. Basically puts them where B1G is going to be after this contract round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom