[formerly] Duke's Azura Stevens | The Boneyard

[formerly] Duke's Azura Stevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think 6'5 is 6'5 in anybody's book ......Size is something the coaches can't teach but all want some of. If a player has it and can run up and down the court she can find a coach to give her a scholly. Stevens seems mobile enough at 6'5 , is breathing , in good academic standing , and wants to play. So they signed her up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the video, she looks good. Can dribble, get up and down the court, finish in the lane, shoot from outside. And 6-4/5.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ok...I'll ask...6'5" and she looks like Magic Johnson.....so why is she "ranked 57 is one service"?

Reaction Score
highlight videos are deceptive, Stevens looks like a good athlete. However I don't know if she was 1 for 10 shooting 3s, or 3 for 3. It is impossible to tell how many mistakes she made, or if she is consistent.

Rankings are just opinions, not facts, some are more accurate than others. There is tremendous variation after the top 10.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Ok...I'll ask...6'5" and she looks like Magic Johnson.....so why is she "ranked 57 is one service"?

She is ranked 23rd by ESPN, 27th by ASGR, 55th by Blue Star, and 57th by Prospect Nation.

Reaction Score
Stevens has said she plays like Kevin Durant, I'm sure Duke told her she could get playing time on the wing next season. As versatile as she might be in the same mode as the other wings/forwads with great size( EDD, Breanna, Courtney Rang Cal, Aj'a WIlson, Lauren Cox high school) I don't think she get the development she needs at Duke to be a match up nightmare.

Reaction Score
A lot has to do with the exposure she' gotten and what kind of competition she was playing against. Can she handle the ball against top level defenders? How well does she match up defensively against smaller quicker players if she plays the wing. Mandy Coleman McNair, Stockton, Cal at 6'4" played point guard for her team and is only ranked at about 132 for her class. I have seen Coleman bring the ball up against St Marys Stockton ( they play in the same league) doing very well against one of the best pressing teams in the Nation, yet there is still something disconcerting about a big ball handling player. I think this might hurt them more in respect to rankings than if they just limited themselves to only playing the post. I think the question always remains how their skill would translate to the next level.

Reaction Score
highlight videos are deceptive, Stevens looks like a good athlete. However I don't know if she was 1 for 10 shooting 3s, or 3 for 3. It is impossible to tell how many mistakes she made, or if she is consistent.

Rankings are just opinions, not facts, some are more accurate than others. There is tremendous variation after the top 10.
Of course, but scary anyway especially with good coaching.

Reaction Score
She does look awfully good in that video. FullCourt has her at #7. From that video, they seem to be the most accurate.

I saw some Vicki Baugh in HS before the injuries and I am reminded of her, only Stevens looks more comfortable shooting outside and mid-range. But Baugh was another agile big who could handle and get to the cup.

I do my fair share of relying on video/highlight reels and I feel like it's much easier to assess bigs than guards from them. I remember watching a video of Alaina Coates highlights and thinking she seemed underrated (IIRC most had her in the 20's) and so far she's proving me right at 12.3 ppg & 8.3 rpg on a legit top 10-12 team in just 18 mpg.

Reaction Score
Speaking of, if Wilson ends up at USC she can play the 3 from day 1. Jatarie the 4 (instead of the 5 that I have read she does not want to be stuck at). All b/c of Coates.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I have a feeling someone who visits the BY from this team is going to have a heart attack when they see this thread title back at the top....but will be relieved by her off the court work.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
She was the top rebounder and scorer in Dukes Blue White game. They have her
playing 2 through 4 she very quick and plays point on there zone.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have a feeling someone who visits the BY from this team is going to have a heart attack when they see this thread title back at the top....but will be relieved by her off the court work.
back at the top...

HGN

Reaction Score
Well , regardless of how she's ranked, #7 , 23 , 27 , 55 , or 57 , the Huskies will not have to worry. She is a ACC conference foe problem for now. Maybe ND and Louisville are shaking in their sneakers , but not the Huskies. Maybe we see her in the NCAA Tournament. Then we may worry.

But for now I am just glad the Huskies are just worrying about the Huskies. And about getting better themselves.

Reaction Score
HGN said:
Well , regardless of how she's ranked, #7 , 23 , 27 , 55 , or 57 , the Huskies will not have to worry. She is a ACC conference foe problem for now. Maybe ND and Louisville are shaking in their sneakers , but not the Huskies. Maybe we see her in the NCAA Tournament. Then we may worry.

But for now I am just glad the Huskies are just worrying about the Huskies. And about getting better themselves.

Did you forget UConn plays Duke on 12/29?

HGN

Reaction Score
Calm down Triaddukefan...........BY'ers are good people and dog lovers. We aren't the devil , you guys are. Blue Devils to be exact.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score

You will get a chance to check her out 12/29 in a home game for you. Hope
we can hold you under 20 points this time.

Reaction Score
Azura and becca looked very nice. Becca is the real deal behind the arc. I see now why Uconn and Notre Dame really wanted her shooting services. As for Elizabeth Williams I was extremely disappointed. She went 2-10 from the field and as our senior leader that's just unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Of course, but scary anyway especially with good coaching.

Exactly, Dagwood. Let's see what her new coach can do for her. very good player + average coach (JPM) = very good player. very good player + great coach (GA) = great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom