Duke beating up on L'ville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke beating up on L'ville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke up 62-52 with 27 seconds left. Just saw a couple of minutes here and there but looks like Louisville is struggling against the Duke zone. Having to settle for jumpers and not hitting them.
I think Jeff's strategy was to get Duke's bigs in foul trouble early.

They did but got behind doing it and didn't have any outside shooting to make up for it.

Reaction Score
L'ville doesn't have the horses to compete with the elite. I suspect ND will run them out of the gym. Their starting PG is Jude Schimmel. I assume she has decent stats, and is at least a competent PG by L'ville standards, but when she played against UCONN in the past, I was surprised she was even on the team, never mind getting significant PT. And that's about as nicely as I can say it.

Also they lack size big time. Their starting center is 6'2" Hammond. Vails, 6'4", got 6 minutes last night. Cortnee Walton, 6'3", did not play (injured?). It's a credit to them that they played Duke almost even in the 2nd half given Duke's huge size advantage at every position.

One other thing - people have talked a lot about what a great up and coming coach Walz is. I did not see the game but... if your observation is accurate (undisciplined etc), it's odd. I could see that a bit last year (and 3 years prior) with the gunner Schimmel given the green light all the time, but without a pure scorer like that, you would think they'd run some offense.

Next year they get Durr so it may be back to letting the gunner run the show, but int he long run, not a good recipe for a team with NC aspirations...
They depend on stopping the opponents then getting the rebounds to start fast breaks. Only worked a few times last night due to Duke's size advantage.

Reaction Score
L'ville doesn't have the horses to compete with the elite.

Also they lack size big time.

One other thing - people have talked a lot about what a great up and coming coach Walz is. I did not see the game but... if your observation is accurate (undisciplined etc), it's odd. I could see that a bit last year (and 3 years prior) with the gunner Schimmel given the green light all the time, but without a pure scorer like that, you would think they'd run some offense.

Next year they get Durr so it may be back to letting the gunner run the show, but int he long run, not a good recipe for a team with NC aspirations...

After the game Walz pretty much admitted they don't have the horses, and require ['discipline'] to win: "We're not the type of basketball team that can just go out and just play," coach Jeff Walz said. "We've got to follow a scouting report to a T. When we do that, we're pretty talented. But we can't just roll the ball out and say, 'Hey, let's play five-on-five."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=400593125

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not unheard of in WBB either. Andy Landers hired Brenda Hill, mother of future All-American Tasha Humphrey, as an assistant coach before recruiting Humphrey. From a 2004 Article:

The Georgia coach raised plenty of eyebrows when he hired Hill as an assistant in 2002, giving the Lady Bulldogs a decided advantage when it came time for Humphrey to decide on a college. Hill's only previous coaching experience was six years as an assistant at Gainesville High School, where her daughter was the star player.

After watching Humphrey play, Landers probably figured he could handle a little heat for his hiring decision.​

Hill then departed a few years later to return to coaching High School ball.

I think Orangutan has it right to the extent the job can't be phony. NCAA figures it's OK if the parent gives fair value in return for her pay. That's considered an even exchange, not a kickback.

The NCAA precedent of School hiring a parent as an assistant coach and then signing the Kid was established in 1983-84. Larry Brown, then the coach at the University of Kansas hired Ed Manning-father of Danny Manning. Similar to Kelsey Mitchell, Danny Manning was rated at the very top of the high school class that year. Kansas with Danny manning won the NCAA men’s championship in 1988.
To be fair and accurate, no assistant coach lost a job to make room for Assistant Coach Mitchell at OSU. McGruff took over for foster beginning in 2013-14 season. He retained 1 assistant coach from Foster’s staff –Patrick Klein & hired two new ones Joy Cheek (From Duke??) and Mitchell.
Assistant coach Mitchell was on Staff at OSU 1 full season prior to the arrival of his Daughters. Ed Manning was also in place 1 full season before the arrival of his son at Kansas. Per JS’ post : “Andy Landers hired Brenda Hill, mother of future All-American Tasha Humphrey, as an assistant coach before recruiting Humphrey. “ From these signing I would surmise that the NCAA rule/stipulation is the parent must be on staff at least 1 full season prior to the arrival of the kid.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Apparently, coach Mitchell can at least coach. He seemed somewhat active on the bench including shouting directions to the team and was seen in an animated discussion with a player not his daughter. And in a brief interview, it is clear that he is well experienced with coaching on the men's side.

Coach Hill at Georgia had a "what am I doing here" look throughout her brief tenure.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Apparently, coach Mitchell can at least coach. He seemed somewhat active on the bench including shouting directions to the team and was seen in an animated discussion with a player not his daughter. And in a brief interview, it is clear that he is well experienced with coaching on the men's side.

Coach Hill at Georgia had a "what am I doing here" look throughout her brief tenure.

I not sure I would reach the same conclusion-that "Mitchell can at least coach". If you read through his biography he played football in college for 4 years. Began coaching Boys basketball in 1991. No evidence of coaching Girls until 2011-AAU likely his daughters AAU team. So 20 years of coaching at the high school level and suddenly he comes to the attention of The Ohio State University? Because… A) He is a really good coach or B) He has a very talented daughter? I am voting for B but I suppose A is entirely possible.

Reaction Score
Impressive win by Duke. Good execution.

Not impressed with Louisville. They seem undisciplined & that will continue to do them in.

I'm not impressed with UofL either. I lost quite a bit of respect for Walz and the way they played Griner. The ol if you can't beat'em, bang'em.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I not sure I would reach the same conclusion-that "Mitchell can at least coach". If you read through his biography he played football in college for 4 years. Began coaching Boys basketball in 1991. No evidence of coaching Girls until 2011-AAU likely his daughters AAU team. So 20 years of coaching at the high school level and suddenly he comes to the attention of The Ohio State University? Because… A) He is a really good coach or B) He has a very talented daughter? I am voting for B but I suppose A is entirely possible.
I'm not denying it is B. A college coach most likely wouldn't have considered hiring him with his background absent the daughter. What I am saying is he at least appears to be active in the coaching of the team, as opposed to the Georgia assistant who sat there looking scared and doing nothing. Hence, I conclude, he has some coaching ability or the HC would tell him to sit there and shut up.

Reaction Score
I'm not impressed with UofL either. I lost quite a bit of respect for Walz and the way they played Griner. The ol if you can't beat'em, bang'em.
OTOH- I was pretty impressed with Williams play. She showed hints of becoming a defensive force in the middle ala Britney Griner.
May be a good choice to go high in the draft. Tremendous "upside" to her game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom