Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I CAN'T believe is what that anti-UConn Antonelli said -

1. Debbie Antonelli ‏@debbieantonelli 11m11 minutes ago
    Debbie Antonelli Retweeted Jane Morrissey

She was impressive. They got Geno and no one else does

Debbie Antonelli added,

Jane Morrissey @SaltySandals
    @debbieantonelli It was Gabby's party tonight!
    2 replies1 retweet9 likes
Shameful comments if you ask me. Though somewhat true, people who totally agree with her are shortchanging this years UConn's talent. Last year, KLS, Gaby, Kia and Pheesa where "not relevant" or "as good" because of the Big 3. Now the excuse is we have Geno and they don't. BALONEY. We have 3 of the most talented players in the country. The fact that DA is too ABC-biased to see it, questions her ability to evaluate the sport she is supposed to be an expert on.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I like Antonelli - I find her insights to be interesting, though she is a little over the top on a few of her pet peeves - offense, and now Las Vegas, but they aren't wrong.

And I think she does worry as most people out there do about what Uconn running the table this year would look like for the universe of WCBB. So I think she and some other people are letting their hope of 'anyone but Uconn - for the good of the game' cloud some of their comments. And I don't get offended by it.
Yeah. Besides, I think at this point to some any compliment she now gives to UConn will be seen at best as backhanded.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'm afraid Ms. Antonelli has a long history of anti-UConn statements while continuing to see the world through whichever conference she is most involved with at the time.
You are correct. Each year, if she does a game where a specific team played well, she will say that team is the one which can defeat Uconn.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Disagree. I like Doris. If anything she raves about UCONN more than any other team in WCBB
Yes, especially in the late part of tonight's game. She praised Uconn for playing far above what she had expected so early in the season. She actually had the same doubts which many of us did on this site. There are many fans who do not own up and admit some of their earlier statements were wrong. Doris did, and praised the team for playing above her expectations.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You are correct. Each year, if she does a game where a specific team played well, she will say that team is the one which can defeat Uconn.
But what is really kind of sad is she just seems to shill for the conference which she either views the most or is signing her checks. Maybe she should start calling games for the AAC.

Reaction Score
I like Doris. I enjoy her calling the games!

I finally muted my TV. Doris is a blabbermouth! You can't watch the game in piece because she is constantly running her mouth and you can not watch the game in piece. She know her stuff but she has to learn to shut up once in the while. She is so annoying.

Reaction Score
Doris is going to be Doris. I do wish she would find a way to not abuse the word COMPORT. Grossly overused. Many synonyms Doris, look some of them up. She has been very consistent in telling everyone that if you want to know the secret to the UConn success just go watch them practice. I think the line is they do not practice until they get something right, they practice until they can't get it wrong. Just heard Lobo tell Mike & Mike that #1 on her list was that Geno makes his kids take responsibility.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
At Providence before Geno was at Uconn.

I was being facetious, but she was at Providence during Geno's first two seasons at UCONN. She missed out on his first recruiting class by a few years.

Reaction Score
I have agree with her
Shameful comments if you ask me. Though somewhat true, people who totally agree with her are shortchanging this years UConn's talent. Last year, KLS, Gaby, Kia and Pheesa where "not relevant" or "as good" because of the Big 3. Now the excuse is we have Geno and they don't. BALONEY. We have 3 of the most talented players in the country. The fact that DA is too ABC-biased to see it, questions her ability to evaluate the sport she is supposed to be an expert on.

I have to agree with that fact that Uconn has Geno. I'm takin nothin away from the girls, but him and CD are the constant there. They seem to win no matter who the core bunch is. He's the one that recruits the girls he believes will by into his system. He pushes these girls, knowing which buttons he can push. No he is the master motivator. Just like he used to say we have Diana and they don't. Well, we have Geno and they don't.

Reaction Score
Doris has exceeded herself in a color commentator's bias. Tonight, except for Gabby, she has been effusive in her praise of Notre Dame. Moreover, she never stops talking and talks during play after play, after play. She has fallen down and can't shut up. I, for one, is sick of Doris Burke.

Absolutely. She is the most annoying announcer around. She's constantly running her mouth about nonsense, regardless of what's going on on the court.

Posted elsewhere about her comment near the end of the game that, "Notre Dame is very talented and very deep, but UConn is going to walk away with a win." As if UConn isn't talented?

She's disappointed that she didn't have an upset story. Very annoying.

Totally agree with you.

Kara Lawson is amazing. Megan Culmo makes you appreciate the game, and enjoy the game. Rebecca Lobo is a genius, and very insightful. All much better than this announcer.

Reaction Score
Funny. I thought she was effusive in her praise of UConn. Well, ain't we a pair.
While you may or may like her style, Doris is a professional announcer, well researched and prepared. Compared to some of the announcers on the early games, she stimulates conversation versus just talking.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...Doris is a blabbermouth! You can't watch the game in piece because she is constantly running her mouth and you can not watch the game in piece. She know her stuff but she has to learn to shut up once in the while. She is so annoying.

That's my main problem. I like Doris fine but she talks way too much when she does WBB. She doesn't do that other places I've seen her. There is no saving O'Brien. He the worst. He's Ted Baxter announcing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Doris praises UConn all night and people still don't like her, Muffett ... the rival coach doesn't praise UConn people don't like her. No win situation

Reaction Score
I'm a big Doris Burke fan!
She is knowledgeable and does her homework!
Yes she talks a lot but most times it's something constructive!
And she calls it as she sees it!
She understands how hard UCONN works to get the results they do, not just Geno gets the best players and this is why he wins so often!

JordyG

Reaction Score
While you may or may like her style, Doris is a professional announcer, well researched and prepared. Compared to some of the announcers on the early games, she stimulates conversation versus just talking.
You're preaching to the converted man. I'm a fan, and always have been.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Doris Burke fan!
She is knowledgeable and does her homework!
Yes she talks a lot but most times it's something constructive!
And she calls it as she sees it!
She understands how hard UCONN works to get the results they do, not just Geno gets the best players and this is why he wins so often!
How's the ticker?

Reaction Score
How's the ticker?

J66kicker- - - pretty good, just had PT and if I can p on my own I can go home tomorrow no bag! If I can't go on my own I need a bag till Monday!

Reaction Score
I finally muted my TV. Doris is a blabbermouth! You can't watch the game in piece because she is constantly running her mouth and you can not watch the game in piece. She know her stuff but she has to learn to shut up once in the while. She is so annoying.
I am mildly amused that after a great and unexpected win by many, they are rating announcers. Bob Pecozzi was a target for years but it seems more liked him than not, which is I think is the same about Doris. As long as we are voting I think she is great.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I heard former Husky men's coach Jim Calhoun impersonate a TV color commentator tonight. He was just gawd-offal. At times, he was inaudible. At other times, he mumbled faster than I had previously thought possible, and was incomprehensible. I hope the people at ESPN get him some mentoring. I am quite sure he knows plenty about the game; he now needs to learn how to deliver his wisdom in this particular medium. These are two separate skill sets, even if TV execs are hiring without regard to this fact.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She second guesses officials calls too much. Even when the replay shows she is wrong she sometimes sticks with her opinion. She sometimes acts as if her opinion is fact. Also, it irks me when I hear her or some other announcer complain that a foul should not have been called near the end of a close game. If it's a foul at the beginning of a game it's a foul at the end of a game. Don't blame the official for calling the foul. Blame the player for committing the foul. Just venting.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
She second guesses officials calls too much. Even when the replay shows she is wrong she sometimes sticks with her opinion. She sometimes acts as if her opinion is fact. Also, it irks me when I hear her or some other announcer complain that a foul should not have been called near the end of a close game. If it's a foul at the beginning of a game it's a foul at the end of a game. Don't blame the official for calling the foul. Blame the player for committing the foul. Just venting.

I disagree with the first point, but can't agree more with the second. "You can't call that foul at this point in the game." Why the heck not? If it's a violation, call it. And if an official doesn't call a violation because of the "home court advantage," that's rubbish too.

Reaction Score
I think it was Doris (not totally sure) who tried "grading" the officials during the NC game. There was an early foul on Dolson (Who, of course, was astounded) and Doris said something like "Bad start for the officials. There aren't enough stars in women's college basketball, you cant risk putting one on the bench!" SMH at that comment!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I like Doris and Dave. Both are seasoned professionals who come prepared for the games.

Doris is not a UConn homer but she completely understands quality basketball. She knows the X's and O's. She praises when praise is due. She will also point out a teams flaws.

Debbie Antonelli is also a seasoned professional. She does her homework and is prepared too. My problem is how she has voted in the AP poll. Ranking Baylor ahead of UConn when UConn won the game should be questioned. She may be in the "anybody but UConn" and I don't know that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doris was better Weds. night than she has been in a long time. She stayed away from the cursive stuff and limited her babbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom