Dooley's Rentschler Field Expansion Dream | The Boneyard

Dooley's Rentschler Field Expansion Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
With all of this talk about the Rockcats and XL Center, I think the biggest fish for the State to consider is expanding Rentschler Field. We all know UCONN isn't going anywhere but the AAC with a 40K stadium. Without an expanded/renovated Rentschler Field, the state won't have to worry about building a new downtown Hartford arena because attendance levels to watch UCONN vs Tulane hoops would barely fill Gampel. So, with that in mind, I think our state government should strongly consider planning for an expanded Rentschler Field. If everyone can excuse the 3rd grade level graphics, this is what I dream of for a Rent expansion...

1. Add ~ 20,000 seats to bring capacity to ~60,000: everything in between yellow lines is added seating. Add symmetry to the stadium by connecting the upper corners of the 2nd deck on both sides of the stadium. Elevate the larger video board to atop the 2nd deck on the Gold lot side and add a smaller video board atop the student section side. Ribbon boards should wrap the 2nd deck facings between the 1st and 2nd levels all away around the stadium. A third deck should be added behind the UCONN sideline. This would get stadium capacity to roughly 60K, by my estimation.

Note: if anyone with a sharper eye and IQ for graphic design wants to take a stab at picture below, feel free.

2. Standing area transformation: the standing area on the Gold lot side of the stadium will be transformed into "The Airfield Sports Bar". The space between the lower and 2nd deck on the Gold lot side should be completely open to optimize viewing. The bar will be open-air (no enclosing glass) with a standing area along the current "red line" and seating areas behind the standing area. Install several HDTVs hanging from the ceiling to allow for fans standing and seated in the bar to watch the game and see replays. Ceiling fans and heating stands should be added for fan comfort. Open a full bar with access to a variety of food trucks along the back wall of the stadium. Install a men's and women's bathroom. Maximum bar capacity: 500. Anyone with a game ticket over the age of 21 can be admitted.

3. Covered seating: this serves two purposes if done correctly. One, it enhances fan comfort at games while still allowing UCONN to take advantage of our New England climate. Fans might be less likely to leave games early and more likely to get to their covered seats earlier if they are comfortable while watching the game. Second, the covering adds an acoustic element to our stadium. We won't ever have a stadium as big as Michigan or Ohio State, but that doesn't mean it can't be as loud (or louder) . Designing the covering so that it traps sound inside the stadium transforms the screams and cheers of around 60K into 100K (think Quest Field in Seattle). The covered seating likely caps the stadium capacity at whatever it would be after this renovation and that is fine. With HDTVs and an increased number of fans choosing to watch sports at home, you don't need a huge stadium...you need one that maximizes fan comfort and atmosphere. This does both (you won't get rained or snowed on while enjoying the game in a LOUD venue).

4. Third deck ramp: two spiral walking ramps should be added to the 2 gate areas on the Blue lot parking side of the stadium (one ramp at each end of the deck). Handicap accessibility also added by means of UTC (Otis) elevators and escalators.

5. Third deck amenities: the outer wall of the added third deck would now serve as the expanded corridor area on the UCONN sideline side of the stadium. Install bathrooms, simple beer carts (like those that wrap the standing areas around the stadium), and quick food service (hot dogs, hamburgers, soda, water, etc.). For enhanced food/drinks, those can be located on the first level expanded area.

uconn_stadium.jpg

All in all, the cost for my dream expansion/renovation would likely be double (or more) the cost of the original stadium construction. But this is the expense that will be necessary to elevate UCONN into the B1G or ACC and keep other CT venues like the XL Center and Gampel (and, in extension, downtown Hartford) vibrant. The footings are already in place for the added third deck on the UCONN sidelines so that expedites the project and helps keep the cost down a touch. Why would the State allocate the bonding funding for this? Simple. With UCONN in the B1G or ACC, downtown Hartford's top entertainment draw keeps the XL Center afloat and booked through the winter. With UCONN in the AAC, it would make more sense for UCONN to schedule all home games at Gampel since attendance will be down a touch. Allocating big money to Rentschler Field and capping the capacity at around 60K with the seating covering addresses a huge concern against UCONN. The State could use the land area around the Rent to build hotels, restaurants, and outlet shopping similar to Patriot Place in Foxboro to attract businesses to Connecticut. The infrastructure cost to accommodate the increased traffic won't be too bad. 84 is a DJ Hernandez throw away from the west end zone. About the only thing that could be added is an extra lane on both sides of Silver Lane and other entrance way streets. If the State loves the busway, how's about extending it to East Hartford in the future? And if you want to keep cars off the roads, the State can open CT Transit lines on game days/nights from various corners of the state. Also, opening a RV lot 24 hours in advance cuts down on some traffic and opening gates 6 hours before kickoff and staying open 2 hours after kickoff thins out the congestion a bit.

Putting the money into the Rent now can buy the state some more time to decide what to do with XL Center. They can afford to throw "lipstick on a pig" for a lower cost that can extend the life of the downtown arena for another 10-15 years when UCONN goes back to playing against top competition again. If B1G/ACC hoops and maybe hockey demand calls for a new arena, then the state has plenty of time to hammer out the logistics of where and when to build. But without addressing Rentschler Field first, you might as well board up the XL Center and allow UCONN to play all of its home games on-campus.

For UCONN, if a 60K stadium is too tiny 20-30 years from now, then they can look into using some of their $1B+ endowment to construct a larger, on campus stadium. But this would do just fine while UCONN builds up its football program back to consistent P5 levels, like pre-Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
UConn and the state need to think 25-50 years from now for a change. What will the landscape be 50 years from now? The traffic, the population, what will the general public be into in the future? Will there even be an interest in collegiate sports 25 years from now or will everyone be into their own individual thing even more than they are now? Will the population even attend colleges or will most learn and attain degrees online? Obviously humans will want to congregate for various reasons but will those reasons still be for collegiate sporting events? What does this looming unionization of collegiate athletes do to schools like UConn? I think the state needs to build a structure capable of hosting a variety of events from sports to trade shows, concerts and other popular gatherings that will accommodate the population for the next half century at least. Anything less is just a waste of taxpayers money and as usual shortsighted, reactive vs proactive thinking.

• The XL needs to be replaced
  • The Rent needs an upgrade
  • Baseball in Connecticut could use a state of the art facility that both collegiate and professional teams can use without the inconvenience of unpredictable weather events
  • A retractable domed stadium in Hartford would be the only one in the North East, not just New England.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Thinking big time is what this state needs more of instead of the sitting pat and just getting by.

I am 100% behind this

Reaction Score
Dooley:

I love your passion, I really do!

However, unless any type of vision for a future upgrade included the concepts to which you speak, it probably would be economically and physically unattainable. There's a reason the new giant's/jets stadium does not have a roof........and they bring in far more NFL revenues that any league would offer UConn. And they have a much higher population density to support a year round multi use facility.

Not only the physical expanse and weight of the above ground roof of any type would challenge the bearing capacity of the existing foundation design.

Forces and additional weight imposed by snow loading itself (remember the old Hartford civic center), the supporting elements to counteract wind loads from a Type III hurricane event, and earthquake bracing easily skyrockets the budget.......bottom line, you'll need a new foundation.

Let's aim for the economically feasible upgrades. We need the State to agree to monies just for another 10-15,000 open air seats (or whatever future number was speculated during design)

It will be a tough sale for the State to support a new 9,000 seat Rock Cats Stadium for $ 60 million. Witness the outcry at that!

Again I thoroughly enjoy your concepts, goals, and enthusiasm. Realistically, with Connecticuts present economy, and projections of a slow growing future state economy and budget short falls, I vote to aim for monies and support to expand as originally envisioned. My fingers, toes, are even crossed with that wish.

APA

Reaction Score
With all of this talk about the Rockcats and XL Center, I think the biggest fish for the State to consider is expanding Rentschler Field. We all know UCONN isn't going anywhere but the AAC with a 40K stadium. Without an expanded/renovated Rentschler Field, the state won't have to worry about building a new downtown Hartford arena because attendance levels to watch UCONN vs Tulane hoops would barely fill Gampel. So, with that in mind, I think our state government should strongly consider planning for an expanded Rentschler Field. If everyone can excuse the 3rd grade level graphics, this is what I dream of for a Rent expansion...

1. Add ~ 20,000 seats to bring capacity to ~60,000: everything in between yellow lines is added seating. Add symmetry to the stadium by connecting the upper corners of the 2nd deck on both sides of the stadium. Elevate the larger video board to atop the 2nd deck on the Gold lot side and add a smaller video board atop the student section side. Ribbon boards should wrap the 2nd deck facings between the 1st and 2nd levels all away around the stadium. A third deck should be added behind the UCONN sideline. This would get stadium capacity to roughly 60K, by my estimation.

Note: if anyone with a sharper eye and IQ for graphic design wants to take a stab at picture below, feel free.

2. Standing area transformation: the standing area on the Gold lot side of the stadium will be transformed into "The Airfield Sports Bar". The space between the lower and 2nd deck on the Gold lot side should be completely open to optimize viewing. The bar will be open-air (no enclosing glass) with a standing area along the current "red line" and seating areas behind the standing area. Install several HDTVs hanging from the ceiling to allow for fans standing and seated in the bar to watch the game and see replays. Ceiling fans and heating stands should be added for fan comfort. Open a full bar with access to a variety of food trucks along the back wall of the stadium. Install a men's and women's bathroom. Maximum bar capacity: 500. Anyone with a game ticket over the age of 21 can be admitted.

3. Covered seating: this serves two purposes if done correctly. One, it enhances fan comfort at games while still allowing UCONN to take advantage of our New England climate. Fans might be less likely to leave games early and more likely to get to their covered seats earlier if they are comfortable while watching the game. Second, the covering adds an acoustic element to our stadium. We won't ever have a stadium as big as Michigan or Ohio State, but that doesn't mean it can't be as loud (or louder) . Designing the covering so that it traps sound inside the stadium transforms the screams and cheers of around 60K into 100K (think Quest Field in Seattle). The covered seating likely caps the stadium capacity at whatever it would be after this renovation and that is fine. With HDTVs and an increased number of fans choosing to watch sports at home, you don't need a huge stadium...you need one that maximizes fan comfort and atmosphere. This does both (you won't get rained or snowed on while enjoying the game in a LOUD venue).

4. Third deck ramp: two spiral walking ramps should be added to the 2 gate areas on the Blue lot parking side of the stadium (one ramp at each end of the deck). Handicap accessibility also added by means of UTC (Otis) elevators and escalators.

5. Third deck amenities: the outer wall of the added third deck would now serve as the expanded corridor area on the UCONN sideline side of the stadium. Install bathrooms, simple beer carts (like those that wrap the standing areas around the stadium), and quick food service (hot dogs, hamburgers, soda, water, etc.). For enhanced food/drinks, those can be located on the first level expanded area.

View attachment 6205

All in all, the cost for my dream expansion/renovation would likely be double (or more) the cost of the original stadium construction. But this is the expense that will be necessary to elevate UCONN into the B1G or ACC and keep other CT venues like the XL Center and Gampel (and, in extension, downtown Hartford) vibrant. The footings are already in place for the added third deck on the UCONN sidelines so that expedites the project and helps keep the cost down a touch. Why would the State allocate the bonding funding for this? Simple. With UCONN in the B1G or ACC, downtown Hartford's top entertainment draw keeps the XL Center afloat and booked through the winter. With UCONN in the AAC, it would make more sense for UCONN to schedule all home games at Gampel since attendance will be down a touch. Allocating big money to Rentschler Field and capping the capacity at around 60K with the seating covering addresses a huge concern against UCONN. The State could use the land area around the Rent to build hotels, restaurants, and outlet shopping similar to Patriot Place in Foxboro to attract businesses to Connecticut. The infrastructure cost to accommodate the increased traffic won't be too bad. 84 is a DJ Hernandez throw away from the west end zone. About the only thing that could be added is an extra lane on both sides of Silver Lane and other entrance way streets. If the State loves the busway, how's about extending it to East Hartford in the future? And if you want to keep cars off the roads, the State can open CT Transit lines on game days/nights from various corners of the state. Also, opening a RV lot 24 hours in advance cuts down on some traffic and opening gates 6 hours before kickoff and staying open 2 hours after kickoff thins out the congestion a bit.

Putting the money into the Rent now can buy the state some more time to decide what to do with XL Center. They can afford to throw "lipstick on a pig" for a lower cost that can extend the life of the downtown arena for another 10-15 years when UCONN goes back to playing against top competition again. If B1G/ACC hoops and maybe hockey demand calls for a new arena, then the state has plenty of time to hammer out the logistics of where and when to build. But without addressing Rentschler Field first, you might as well board up the XL Center and allow UCONN to play all of its home games on-campus.

For UCONN, if a 60K stadium is too tiny 20-30 years from now, then they can look into using some of their $1B+ endowment to construct a larger, on campus stadium. But this would do just fine while UCONN builds up its football program back to consistent P5 levels, like pre-Pasqualoni.

The comment about the endowment got me to check a few figures. As of one year ago, UConn had the fourth largest endowment for New England public schools, at 311 million. UMass was first at 565, UNH second at 490 (big surprise to me), UVM third at 325. By way of contrast, BC's endowment was 1.65 billion.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The comment about the endowment got me to check a few figures. As of one year ago, UConn had the fourth largest endowment for New England public schools, at 311 million. UMass was first at 565, UNH second at 490 (big surprise to me), UVM third at 325. By way of contrast, BC's endowment was 1.65 billion.

Yup. UCONN is way behind the ball with its endowment. Compared to other B1G schools, we are far behind. President Herbst's new hire will hopefully expedite the university's goal to get to $1B.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley:

I love your passion, I really do!

However, unless any type of vision for a future upgrade included the concepts to which you speak, it probably would be economically and physically unattainable. There's a reason the new giant's/jets stadium does not have a roof...and they bring in far more NFL revenues that any league would offer UConn. And they have a much higher population density to support a year round multi use facility.

Not only the physical expanse and weight of the above ground roof of any type would challenge the bearing capacity of the existing foundation design.

Forces and additional weight imposed by snow loading itself (remember the old Hartford civic center), the supporting elements to counteract wind loads from a Type III hurricane event, and earthquake bracing easily skyrockets the budget..bottom line, you'll need a new foundation.

Let's aim for the economically feasible upgrades. We need the State to agree to monies just for another 10-15,000 open air seats (or whatever future number was speculated during design)

It will be a tough sale for the State to support a new 9,000 seat Rock Cats Stadium for $ 60 million. Witness the outcry at that!

Again I thoroughly enjoy your concepts, goals, and enthusiasm. Realistically, with Connecticuts present economy, and projections of a slow growing future state economy and budget short falls, I vote to aim for monies and support to expand as originally envisioned. My fingers, toes, are even crossed with that wish.

Good point about the covering. I see lots of soccer stadiums across the world with partial coverings and like the concept. But you're right about the stadium foundation and snow weight. I honestly didn't think of that... I was just thinking of fan comfort features. If it can't be done, they can leave the covering off. Perhaps instead of seating cover, UCONN can finish the job initially planned for and install seats at each seat location. Speaking personally, I don't mind the bench seats especially since our seat location is in the last row of 139 (i.e. - free chair backs). But adding seats (with cup holders) would be a good way to bring more comfort to fans in the stands.

My opinion is that if they're going to spend the money to renovate the stadium to move into a new era of UCONN football, they might as well spend the money upfront to fill as much of it as possible.

pj

Reaction Score
It ought to be possible to use a fabric covering for rain and sun protection during the season and take it down for the winter. Rarely snows in Connecticut before the end of football season in early December.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I suggest fans in the 3rd deck stroll in a little later than usual to avoid overcrowding at the entrances.

Dooley

Reaction Score
ACH=full]6205[/ATTACH]

The new look at the soccer stadium renovation project shows exactly what I am dreaming/thinking of for the Rent (once we're ready to expand/renovate). Covered seating helps those "but it's raining!" fans while trapping in noise to turn the decibal level of 55-60K into 100K.

conn-joseph-morrone-stadium.jpg

Reaction Score
Love the passion and like your logic but the roof seems impractical and too costly. I do like a short overhang like in Seattle that would tend to capture noise but not for fan comfort. We're tough New Englanders--aren't we?:) I don't mind the open end zone bar area as long as the other nooks and crannies are filled-in with seating. Keep thinking outside the box. The key is whether Benedict etal will be pushing the issue. You have to believe that in their quiet talks with P-5 conference honchos they are showing mock-ups of our stadium expansion plans.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Listen all these plans and dreams are great but the most important thing besides getting a new conference and a banging stadium is............. The beer gonna be free at the new place? I mean everything not just domestics ! Just wondering cuz lord knows every person here has paid dearly since RE left! And I mean dearly

Dooley

Reaction Score
Love the passion and like your logic but the roof seems impractical and too costly.

I like everything else you said but the costly part. The projected TOTAL cost of the soccer stadium renovation is in the $22-$24M range. Some building structure is already in place on the press box side, student section side, and scoreboard side to put a partial covering over. The only side that would need additional support added is the UConn sideline. And that could be accomplished with just planning to widen the third deck to put the support columns in place.

conn-joseph-morrone-stadium.jpg

Projected Cost: $22.2 to $24.2 million

Raised to Date: $10.5 million

• Four-sided stadium with 5,500 seats
  • Competition field with natural turf, lights, scoreboard and press box
  • Practice field with natural turf
  • Home locker rooms
  • Coaches/ Staff offices / Conference Room
  • Trophy Room
  • Strength & Athletic Training room with office space and two plunge pools (Shared with Baseball & Softball)
  • Film Room
  • Public amenities- ticket, restrooms and concessions
  • Press with suites/hospitality

Reaction Score
Seems Nippert has at least a few obstructed view seats as a result of the stadium's "expansion". Can we throw in some obstructed view seats for character?

Dooley

Reaction Score
We don't need an overhang. American soccer fans are total .

I hear ya. The rougher the elements, the more I enjoy going to football games. My wife thinks I'm crazy when I get excited for rain or snow in weekend forecast on home game weekends. But I understand that you and I are the majority. There are plenty of folks who stay home when there's bad weather. And if they still stay home? The overhang acts as an acoustic enhancement to keep the stadium loud. Gameday atmosphere improvement through and through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom