Donny Marshall, stfu | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall, stfu

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Endless posts, eh? I challenge you to find my last post comparing the AAC and Big East. It was possibly months ago and it surely said the BE blows the AAC out of the water basketball wise.

But polyannas like you can go on thinking $4m can compete with $50m, or $25m with $200m, but it's not going to happen.

Jay Wright will be coaching at Illinois in the future, the same way Buzz moved from Marquette to Virginia Tech. The writing is on the wall but you can't read it.
But we get less in the AAC than 4 million , so how does anything you say after that hold water?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We keep mentioning the BE as a possibility but what makes anyone think that they want a state university with one eye on the door?

They do. Right now.
In 4 years. Maybe not.

Reaction Score
You're only example of a coach leaving the league to go to a P5 has been Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for Virginia Tech. A move that was highly questioned by almost everyone at the time.

You're making the assumption that Big East schools won't trim their athletic departments in order to stay nationally competitive in basketball or simply fund at their current level. You're also making the assumption that P5 leagues are going to start paying kids more money in a rising cost of attendance and with that assuming Big East schools won't keep pace. Same with recruiting.

As far as watching them on FS1? If they keep putting kids in the NBA, making final 4s and having half the league in the top 25 it doesn't matter that much. It hasn't so far.

This all being said - my whole argument which you are seemingly ignoring - is that the Big East for basketball is better than the AAC for basketball, if we have to drop football. That's it.

I din't disagree with the idea that the BE is better. not at all. Never did. I was just responding to the idea that the BE will be OK. I don't think it will. And we are just starting on this path. I never said that the BE would instantly sink. But coaches earning $3-4m a year are hard to move. Coaches earning $1-2m a year will take off.

I think my assumptions about the P5 paying kids is right in keeping with reality. They are already doing it.

Reaction Score
He also compared Buzz's situation at Marquette to Jay Wright's at Nova, lol.

You get my point.

Iillnois will be taking Villanova's coach, for a simple reason. They can pay 2x as much.

Reaction Score

You're whistling past the graveyard. In 10 years, both the BE and the AAC will be suffering badly at the current rate of revenue expansion.

Reaction Score
But we get less in the AAC than 4 million , so how does anything you say after that hold water?

No, we don't.

And even if we did, there's very little difference between the money from the 2 conferences, compared to the $45m Rutgers is getting.

Reaction Score

No, they are not. The non-P5 schools are not keeping pace. Some of the conferences are paying $2k, just a couple of them. The big boys are paying $5k.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You get my point.

Iillnois will be taking Villanova's coach, for a simple reason. They can pay 2x as much.

You say that, but I disagree with the notion that coaches salaries are going to sky rocket, just because they have P5 tv money.

There's a market for what coaches make and that is separated from what the school is making in TV dollars.

For instance, NFL head coaches are paid by teams that make way more money than these colleges, yet their salaries all aren't $20M a season. Just because the money is there, doesn't mean that a) a team will pay that much or b) that the market for coaches would even necessitate that.

The Big East I think has a pretty secure future as a power basketball conference.

Reaction Score
You say that, but I disagree with the notion that coaches salaries are going to sky rocket, just because they have P5 tv money.

There's a market for what coaches make and that is separated from what the school is making in TV dollars.

For instance, NFL head coaches are paid by teams that make way more money than these colleges, yet their salaries all aren't $20M a season. Just because the money is there, doesn't mean that a) a team will pay that much or b) that the market for coaches would even necessitate that.

The Big East I think has a pretty secure future as a power basketball conference.

But it has already happened.

Tom Crean, John Beilein, Tom Izzo, Thad Matta are all around $3m+. Matt Painter and Mark Turgeon make as much as Jay Wright (actually, now that I look at it, Nova isn't bad at all at $2.4m). But then the rest of the B1G are $1.3-$2m, and even the lowest paid, Pitino, makes more than Mack, McDermott and Cooney.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is what I wrote in reply to the idea written by you that the BE will still be able to compete:

"How long will that cache last when big schools have TV money of $50m per year (with $200m budgets) and BE schools get $4m a year with $25m budgets?"

This was my original response. It didn't misrepresent you at all. I still think the BE schools will lose their coaches and thereby continuity and thereby decent players because they can't pay them. Recruiting will suffer--also the yearly per athlete fee of $5k (which is for all athletes) isn't paid out by them.

It will hurt them.

If in 10 years UConn isn't in a better situation, you will have to cut the subsidy, and no matter what non-P5 conference you're in, it will be the demise of UConn.

Only 2 things can stop this dreaded scenario:

1. UConn goes to a better conference
2. Football and the college TV bubble implode totally thereby ridding the P5 schools of their enormous advantage.
There's a third scenario. The power conferences monopolize basketball like football and the Big 12 grabs up us and Cincy stat.

Reaction Score
There's a third scenario. The power conferences monopolize basketball like football and the Big 12 grabs up us and Cincy stat.

Doesn't that fall under UConn goes to a better conference?

Reaction Score

Just curious, where did you get this info from? Because I got it from USA Today for 2016.

And, Most BE coaches make sub $1m.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
But it has already happened.

Tom Crean, John Beilein, Tom Izzo, Thad Matta are all around $3m+. Matt Painter and Mark Turgeon make as much as Jay Wright (actually, now that I look at it, Nova isn't bad at all at $2.4m). But then the rest of the B1G are $1.3-$2m, and even the lowest paid, Pitino, makes more than Mack, McDermott and Cooney.

I'll start to believe they are going to poach Big East coaches when I see it. I don't think coaches salaries are going to go up so astronomically that non P5 teams can't offer competitive deals.

Just because there is endless money doesn't mean it's going to be spent. There's always going to be a market price no matter who has more money in a TV deal.

C

Chief00

All of the BE fantasies are based on the assumption the the NBE is salivating to take us back.
I have not heard that. Why do you all think so?
Not the usual we would pack the Garden stuff, but interest from the new BE
Confirmed - They would take us back yesterday.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that fall under UConn goes to a better conference?

Or a 4th option. Someone or some group files a lawsuit and brings the whole corrupt system down. The P5 cartel is the biggest scam going. The P5 and the networks have arbitrarily selected schools and given them access to big paydays and prime time exposure while freezing deserving schools like UConn out. No way this stands up in court.

Reaction Score

The site means very little if you honestly don't believe the NBE wouldn't throw someone out to take UConn back never mind just take them in with open arms. There's still no name minus Nova and the Metro market is something they need.

UConn says "we want in" - DONE!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what coaches' salaries have to do with anything. I'm sure a Big East team can pay $3M for a coach if it wants to.

Biggest issues facing the Big East are still the same - first, ratings on FS1 continue to be bad. They have ranked teams and they're still averaging under 100,000 viewers per game. There will be a correction in the contract and their revenue if that doesn't improve dramatically. Second, and we have this issue as well, the split between the power five and everyone is is coming. That is an end of days event.

Reaction Score

So you are claiming that this information is easily available to you on a website, but that the media can't figure out how to get access to it? Let me ask you a question -- would this sound credible to you if someone were telling you this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom