Done deal with Edsall | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Done deal with Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Nobody saw Benedict firing Diaco - no money. We didn't hear a peep or a tweet until it happened. Everything was in lockdown.

Now why would we suddenly have all these tweets about Edsell? Doesn't make sense. Benedict had the firing on lockdown, no leaks, and surprised everyone. Not sure I buy any of this.

You must not remember HCREs agent? No doubt this is the source.

On a related note, it must be made abundantly clear to HCRE to tell his agent that he cannot use the rumor mill again while at UConn. He cannot float Edsalls name out for every opening each offseason for leverage with UConn. We will not allow it this time around.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would like to see Edsall moving his stuff in while Diaco packs up. Great moment to be a fly on the wall. Of course their paths will never cross in reality.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You get it, surprised so many others don't.
Most do, we just understand the reality of the situation and what it must mean if Edsall is coming back.

In other words, the money wasn't there for a sexier hire, and/or someone who made the money available for this to happen wanted to make sure that this is what happened.

In either case, we're better off than we were three days ago, albeit not as well off as many of us dreamed we could be in the days in between then and now.

Reaction Score
For those saying Edsall is a 'safe' hire... that's not the case and here's why:

1. This hire polarizes the fan base
  2. Edsall is not a 'safe' hire if he hasn't coached in over a year. Let's remember he was fired and NOT picked up by another school/opportunity, which is why he landed with a low-level job on the Lions. It's a fair question to ask if he can still recruit and coach.
  3. People called PP a 'safe' hire -- how did that work out?
Chatting with a few alumni from my class who were around when Edsall was, I was expecting a mixed bag of support for him (like on this board). But, I'm surprised to hear none are in favor of the hire, including myself.

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. At the very least, he needs to immediately make a statement to make amends for his rough exit.
PP was a dumb hire. All Randy has to do is win, which he's proven he can. May polarize some of you BY's, but we all want to see the ship righted. He's not going to polarize the fan base.

Reaction Score
It is, what it is. I don't like it, but I will have learn to deal with it. This is the program I root for no matter what. Will wait on season tickets to see how it shakes out.

One more time, with feeling this time
This - I would be on the phone tomorrow with season tix renewal if it was Moorhead, Weist, Fleck. I'll have to warm to Edsall.

Reaction Score
Nobody saw Benedict firing Diaco - no money. We didn't hear a peep or a tweet until it happened. Everything was in lockdown.

Now why would we suddenly have all these tweets about Edsell? Doesn't make sense. Benedict had the firing on lockdown, no leaks, and surprised everyone. Not sure I buy any of this.

Well its official....soo...

Reaction Score
This is a move dictated by stone cold reality - that we dont have the money or the attractive set up (recruits, history) to lure in the big time hot HC.

At the end of the day, I know we'll see real football on the field and in the presser discussions. Kumbaya, hugging circles and everyone gets a star time is over! Prototype recruiting is also over. And Mike Cummings is gone!
Stone cold reality. Sigh. The best we could do is an ex-coach who left us for more money. If that doesn't speak volumes about the future of this sports department, I am not sure what does.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is a move dictated by stone cold reality - that we dont have the money or the attractive set up (recruits, history) to lure in the big time hot HC.

At the end of the day, I know we'll see real football on the field and in the presser discussions. Kumbaya, hugging circles and everyone gets a star time is over! Prototype recruiting is also over. And Mike Cummings is gone!

Diaco was our chance to get the red hot assistant for MAC coach. We blew it

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Did the CT high school football coaches endorse NFHCRE? Like that matters!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this move reinvigorates the fan base. This is going to be a tough slog back. DB was at the finish line of immortality and choked on a turkey bone.

Edsall was pretty good at promoting the startup of the UConn FBS football program. He has to be far better at this STAGE, however, he does recognise who we are. He needs to reinvigorate a whole Program ... as we are far more difficult to buy tickets than 2004.

Filling the RENT is tied to winning. It is absolutely one of the FB HC jobs. We need better offense and better players. Edsall is perhaps the one person that knows this formula best. BEST WISHES to us - the UConn FB Fans.

Reaction Score
Think the harsh reality of this hire is Benedict did his due diligence to reach out to "splash hires" like Moorhead etc. and none of them wanted to come. It's a testament to where the program is now, and what the rest of the country thinks of this program. No one wanted to come. The only one that would come back was Edsall....because he had no coaching job.

Anyone who thinks this was a bad hire needs to understand that this was probably the ONLY hire besides keeping Diaco.......no one wanted to come.

Reaction Score
Most do, we just understand the reality of the situation and what it must mean if Edsall is coming back.

In other words, the money wasn't there for a sexier hire, and/or someone who made the money available for this to happen wanted to make sure that this is what happened.

In either case, we're better off than we were three days ago, albeit not as well off as many of us dreamed we could be in the days in between then and now.
It's just hard to accept how small-time we are. My guess is the money people (Burton) forced this move. I'm more sad than angry. It's been one slap in the face after another.

Reaction Score
Think the harsh reality of this hire is Benedict did his due diligence to reach out to "splash hires" like Moorhead etc. and none of them wanted to come. It's a testament to where the program is now, and what the rest of the country thinks of this program. No one wanted to come. The only one that would come back was Edsall....because he had no coaching job.

Anyone who thinks this was a bad hire needs to understand that this was probably the ONLY hire besides keeping Diaco..no one wanted to come.
Sadly, you may be right.

Reaction Score
Random thought - Why the hell are people leaking stuff to McMurphy? He's an who routinely mocks UConn and other G5 schools.

. Hopefully the leaks aren't coming from UConn.

Maybe Steve Levy should stay off twitter for awhile. Ahem - no Joe Morehead here Steve.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Anyone who thinks this was a bad hire needs to understand that this was probably the ONLY hire besides keeping Diaco..no one wanted to come.
I'm sure it was more about money than anything else.

Reaction Score
If its a donor driven choice, then you see where Uconn is financially. they had no choice and DB nor SH could possibly argue that RE is not an improvement over BD. so the donors had all the leverage. It is what it is. I highly doubt DB's dream hire is Randy Edsall.

Here's the thing for me...I appreciated the fact that RE built his teams from the lines out, knew that Uconn would never have a great passing game given the climate and recruiting base, and had his teams ALWAYS play fundamentally sound and smart football. they tackled well and generally played good special teams (returns more than coverage and kicking). Uconn's identity was smashmouth, hard nosed, Parcells-like football. he developed players and his senior classes were always best players on team. He got a lot of guys paid at the next level. He never recruited well based on star systems but found diamonds in rough constantly. But...I used to be able to call about 75% of the plays based solely on formations and down and distance. There was never any creativity. Defenses played 8 or 9 in the box and UConn could never take advantage except for Marcus Easley's breakout season (ex-DanO season). If the team fell behind, they were usually screwed. It was predictable. But it was never horrible like the Pasqualoni and Idiaco years.

When Randy left, he handled it as badly as could be imagined. His nonsense about a dream job and all that rung as stupid as did the constant reminders of the trailers. He's not a dynamic personality. He's never won big anywhere he's been. He's probably best suited as a defensive coordinator. If your hope is that Edsall will revive the program and create a situation that makes UConn irresistable to a P5 conference, then I think your hope is fleeting. And while it would be nice to have a football team that just isn't embarrassing itself on a weekly basis, the only long-term goal for the program and athletic department is P5 and I'm not sure this hire helps. I hope I am wrong. But at least there should be a team that one can support again. for those too young to remember, going to the Rent from 2003-2009 was a worthwhile way to spend your Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom