Dom Amore: As UConn celebrates a championship, Jim Mora can’t help but do some Power Five football dreaming. | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: As UConn celebrates a championship, Jim Mora can’t help but do some Power Five football dreaming.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<

-> “I always see it through the lens of a football coach, and for the overall athletic department and I know, for football, having a chance to be in a Power Five conference would be amazing. It would be an amazing opportunity for us to compete against the best, to have an opportunity to win championships, it would certainly help our recruiting.” <-

-> In the meantime Mora continues to work to build on his encouraging first year. “You’ll notice it, a bigger, more physical football team, a better looking football team just ‘on the hoof,’ as we say,” Mora said. “From a scheme standpoint, offensively, people will be excited about our tight ends and our wideouts and the way we’re able to throw the ball, which was tough for us last year. A more diverse offense is what people will be excited to see.”

The quarterback competition is wide open, with last year’s starter, Zion Turner, pushed by Joe Fagnano and Ta’Quan Roberson.

“No matter which of those men earn the job, they’ll earn it,” Mora said. “And we know we’ll have good quality backups.” <-

Reaction Score
Given everything CR related, UConn really is in about as great a position as we could have hoped for. We've got so much positive mojo going between Mora and Hurley and Auriemma is due for a run. So much to look forward to this year. I really can't wait to see Mora's 2nd year football team this fall. Those guys:

Pump You Up Saturday Night Live GIF

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> "They said over the last eight, 10 years that once basketball got back they were going to be attractive again," Orlovsky said. "Obviously, Coach (Jim) Mora had a really good season last year and (Dan) Hurley is back to building them into a national contender every year. It's a realistic chance. It's always the balance of what's best for all programs in all sports. But the reality is there are two powers, the Big Ten and SEC, and then see where everybody kind of goes and what happens. I do think it's good to be in one of those others.

"What's best for the basketball program is the big, high-end question. There are people who say stay in the Big East, and there are others who say money. That's a fair question to be attached to the situation." <-

-> Jim Mora did an incredible job," Orlovsky said. "He hit the transfer portal well and re-established winning. You have to win and he has people believing it can get done again. They're super-young and the quarterback has to stay healthy. So far, it's been a home run."

"It's been frustrating and disappointing to see how far they fell so fast. But I always say if things don't work out, don't stay there. Try to fix them. They did that. It's good to see it back to being a respected program."

Could UConn football be competitive in the Big 12 if it receives an invite? The Big 12 has the reigning national runnerup in TCU while Kansas State is the reigning conference champion.

"It will take time. It's a tremendous conference," Orlovsky said. "It's super-athletic, a different style of football and a different type of athlete as well. I know UConn has gotten some high-end recruits in the last week or so and you have to continue to get players, guys that would fit that conference. There is a unique style of play in the Big 12." <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom