Doesn't look like Air Force to BE is going to happen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Doesn't look like Air Force to BE is going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nah, I'm with Waylon on this part of the puzzle. If I rebuild, I want to stay in the Big East and put together the best football conference I can. Not leave the Big East and put together the best football conference I can. I still have yet to see one representative of a school say that the reluctance of the basketball schools to do something cost us an opportunity. And, when fans say it, it's always with respect to opportunities that have as many issues as solutions.

I'm not opposed to a Navy. Whatever we do is a bridge to the day of superconferences. I want the best football conference I can get, whether I play hoops with those schools or not. If you can rebuild with better football teams and programs than navy is fine. Where I'm not like Waylon is that it's not about markets at the moment -- it's about the BCS bid. I need the most political pressure and the best computer rankings I can generate. Navy gets me both. UCF, followed by ECU, gets me quality football. And UCF brings me a market to boot. Air Force is friggin far, but as a football only, giving me prestige, quality football and political pressure, not willing to say it's dumb.

Remember, we are not trying to build a conference for the next 100 years. We're trying to keep a BCS bid for a few years until the next earthquake.

It was reported last year that football schools entered into discussions about adding Kansas and such but that the whole thing was nixed by the basketball schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
nelson,

I don't think we disagree that much on the short term solution. Though I'd rather Central Florida over UMass. One is a legitimate 1A program. the other is just beginning the upgrade process. Unlike some I wouldn't rule them out as part of getting from 9 to 12. Just short term. And I just don't favor football only members. Temple is a legitimate program in the 4th largest market. Other than kowtowing to Villanova, why in heavens name wouldn't you want them in your basketball league?

Houston should be a slam dunk. Houston would be a Top 40 hoops program within 3 years of joining the Big East with the local talent in that city alone and Houston's tradition. I think adding UMass is more of a middle finger to the ACC, and puts pressure on them to do something. UCF is not a threat to FSU or even Miami, and likely never will be. UMass in a BCS league is an immediate threat to BCU. Furthermore, Temple, UMass, UConn and Rutgers trumps the ACC in every Northeastern market they are claiming to have. Philadelphia, New York and Boston will be Big East cities.

I agree with the Big East's assessment that it already has UCF's market. UMass is the anchor school of the largest state to not have its anchor school in a BCS conference.

I like two football only in the intermediate term because I like the 16 team basketball conference. If 18/10 gets the deal done, I don't oppose it too strongly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Temple isn't bad but... any extended time in ANY reorganized football conference would be a huge blow to UConn football. Not sure if they could recover so easily from it. It would take being invited into the ACC and B10 despite bad football. So, I'm just not getting hung up on the solution when the ONLY thing that's going to save UConn sports longterm is being added to a big conference.

It is not going to happen, so why continue to harp on it?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where I'm not like Waylon is that it's not about markets at the moment -- it's about the BCS bid. I need the most political pressure and the best computer rankings I can generate. Navy gets me both. UCF, followed by ECU, gets me quality football. And UCF brings me a market to boot. Air Force is friggin far, but as a football only, giving me prestige, quality football and political pressure, not willing to say it's dumb.

The Big East with TCU and Houston and no Syracuse or Pitt is a BCS league.

Reaction Score
It was reported last year that football schools entered into discussions about adding Kansas and such but that the whole thing was nixed by the basketball schools.

Was nixed by the basketball schools? There was nothing to nix, because there was no one to invite because the Big XII didn't fall apart and Kansas wasn't leaving. Having different views on a hypothetical conversation is not blocking something. Not to mention, by all reports at the end of the day the basketball onlies were willing to let the Big XII leftovers in.

Reaction Score
Was nixed by the basketball schools? There was nothing to nix, because there was no one to invite because the Big XII didn't fall apart and Kansas wasn't leaving. Having different views on a hypothetical conversation is not blocking something. Not to mention, by all reports at the end of the day the basketball onlies were willing to let the Big XII leftovers in.
Don't confuse these guys with facts. The BB onlies or "the catholics" as some derisively call them are the devil incarnate. They are the reason everything is wrong. Yep, they block everything because they want the football schools to fail. Oh, and they reap all the rewards from the massive investment the football schools have made.

Just don't ask for any proof; they heard it from a guy who knows a guy whose brother is friends with the associate AD somewhere. It's common knowledge.

Reaction Score

Why would there be a report that the bb onlies were willing to let the Big 12 leftovers in "IF THEY HAD NO SAY". Either they did or did not have a say, and ask congress if you need to have an actual vote in the senate to know before hand if a bill will pass.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The fact that people still want to break away from the basketball only schools is honestly just incomprehensible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You've offered no solutions. It's either add teams or split. What other solution is there?

I don't even think adding teams is much of a solution. Temple maybe. But does anyone think that a league with two Florida commuter schools, two Texas schools, two in the northeast (3 with Temple) and a few in the south/midwest area has any kind of long term stability?

Let's face it, minus the BE AQ status, TCU is better off where they are. Same with Houston, and CFU. If the MWC is behind the BE, it's not by much. Here's the math. Under this formula, MWC could gain AQ status. In 2014, the BE could lose it. http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=5126859

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The fact that people still want to break away from the basketball only schools is honestly just incomprehensible.

Why? I think the basketball only schools would be much better off. I think this hybrid model has failed. UConn now has almost nothing in common with the remaining members of the BE.

I think it's best for all if UConn and RU went to the ACC.
The basketball schools can align with the best of the A-10, and perhps Butler, and have a great hoops conference.
Louisville, WVU, Cincy, SFU can join with TCU, SMU, Memphis, CFU, and maybe E Carolina and Houston, and have a pretty decent conference in FB and basketball. Probably would attain BCS AQ status.

Reaction Score
Why? I think the basketball only schools would be much better off. I think this hybrid model has failed. UConn now has almost nothing in common with the remaining members of the BE.

I think it's best for all if UConn and RU went to the ACC.
The basketball schools can align with the best of the A-10, and perhps Butler, and have a great hoops conference.
Louisville, WVU, Cincy, SFU can join with TCU, SMU, Memphis, CFU, and maybe E Carolina and Houston, and have a pretty decent conference in FB and basketball. Probably would attain BCS AQ status.

Agree completely, except the part about UConn going to the ACC, it won't happen. UConn will be with the other Big East football schools in a new conference. At least, until the next round of back stabbing begins. If it really gets to 4 leagues of 16, only 64 teams playing for a national championship, will UConn get in? Hard to say right now. Better get Blumenthal loosened up, your probably going to need his help.

Reaction Score
Damn we could have used those planes when we attack the ACC..... ground support from West Point, and control of the seas from Annapolis. Now all we can do is attack with priests.

Reaction Score
Why would there be a report that the bb onlies were willing to let the Big 12 leftovers in "IF THEY HAD NO SAY". Either they did or did not have a say, and ask congress if you need to have an actual vote in the senate to know before hand if a bill will pass.

Who are you quoting? Not me, even though you're pretending to be responding to me. You really think that's an acceptable way to have a discussion.

Nothing I wrote was confusing. The basketball schools get to vote on membership for the conference. They do not get to vote for football only membership. They would have voted on the Big XII leftovers admissions except that there was ultimately nothing to vote on because the Big XII didn't fall apart and no one wanted to leave it for the Big East. What are you struggling with?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Agree completely, except the part about UConn going to the ACC, it won't happen. UConn will be with the other Big East football schools in a new conference. At least, until the next round of back stabbing begins. If it really gets to 4 leagues of 16, only 64 teams playing for a national championship, will UConn get in? Hard to say right now. Better get Blumenthal loosened up, your probably going to need his help.

Iowa State, Cincy, USF, Cincy, and Baylor are all lower on the totem pole than we are. We would squeeze into the ACC or Big 10 in that scenario.

Reaction Score

"Your probably going to need his help." Well, there goes the pretense that this poster is a UConn fan.

Reaction Score

The report said that they were having conversations because at the time, it looked like Texas was headed to the Pac-10, and that a merger was in play. The basketball schools were against it.

Reaction Score
"Your probably going to need his help." Well, there goes the pretense that this poster is a UConn fan.
Oh yes you're so right, I don't have the requisite amount of arrogance or sense of entitlement to be a UConn fan. That really hurts.

Reaction Score
Pencil, you managed to string a few folks along for a while but most for sure have you figured out now. Are you Rick Pitino, really? This is a UConn board. If we want to be arrogant, foolish, silly or anything else that doesn't meet with your standards, tough. You're not the anointed conscience here and you are, frankly, very tiresome.

Reaction Score
Pencil, you managed to string a few folks along for a while but most for sure have you figured out now. Are you Rick Pitino, really? This is a UConn board. If we want to be arrogant, foolish, silly or anything else that doesn't meet with your standards, tough. You're not the anointed conscience here and you are, frankly, very tiresome.
Never said I was, and you very much if you don't like what I post.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I find it pretty funny that the Cuse troll and Nelson seemed to be in agreement quite a bit

Reaction Score
Damn we could have used those planes when we attack the ACC..... ground support from West Point, and control of the seas from Annapolis. Now all we can do is attack with priests.
Maybe we can perform an exorcism on the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I find it pretty funny that the Cuse troll and Nelson seemed to be in agreement quite a bit

I don't know. He might agree with the majority of the posters on this board that UConn athletics are finished and we should shut the program down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom