Does UConn have a screen pass in the playbook? | The Boneyard

Does UConn have a screen pass in the playbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Those announcers were awful yesterday. But the color guy made one good point, what about the screen pass? It's one thing to call a screen every third play, but once in awhile should be standard.

Reaction Score
That sir, does not appear to be part of the wall paper. I kept waiting to see one during the NC STate game as they brought constant pressure but, it was not to be.

Reaction Score
Those announcers were awful yesterday. But the color guy made one good point, what about the screen pass? It's one thing to call a screen every third play, but once in awhile should be standard.

A lot can go wrong with a screen pass. They probably have one or two but they must look so god awful in practice that they are not used in games.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There was one feeble attempt at a screen pass yesterday, but apparently Whitmer and McCombs didn't tell each other that it was going to happen. If I recall correctly, I think the ball almost hit the back of Lyle's head...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering the immense size of DeLeone's playbook I would imagine that we have at least 172 different screen passes available to run. Unfortunately the offense is still taking GD's Remedial Wildcat classes and they cannot move on to to Screen Pass 101 until next semester.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There was one feeble attempt at a screen pass yesterday, but apparently Whitmer and McCombs didn't tell each other that it was going to happen. If I recall correctly, I think the ball almost hit the back of Lyle's head...
I dont think that was a screen. It looked like Lyle forgot he was supposed to take the handoff and whitmer decided to throw it away (albeit in to the back of his head). Lineman didn't look like they were blocking for a screen either.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I dont think that was a screen. It looked like Lyle forgot he was supposed to take the handoff and whitmer decided to throw it away (albeit in to the back of his head). Lineman didn't look like they were blocking for a screen either.

Could be. Everyone looked confused. The only thing I'll say is that after the UMass game, I'm pretty sure that from now on, we will truly know when Whitmer is throwing it away (should be in the 200's sections). I think that Whitmer thought it was a screen play, but McCombs and the linemen probably thought it was a run...

Reaction Score

Nope, too flashy. We're better of with the Single Wing, AKA wildcat.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nope, too flashy. We're better of with the Single Wing, AKA wildcat.
Single Wing isn't the wildcat. It may be a distant cousin but nothing like the actual single wing. We ran it in high school and its a whole lot more intricate than simply snapping the ball to a running qb.

Reaction Score
Single Wing isn't the wildcat. It may be a distant cousin but nothing like the actual single wing. We ran it in high school and its a whole lot more intricate than simply snapping the ball to a running qb.

We ran it too. But thematically they are pretty damn close. The biggest weird thing about the SW is the assymtric offensive line.

Reaction Score

We do. But, it requires the third string defensive back who is left handed to the the QB and a fourth string half-back who is a red-shirt junior to be the receiver. The play can only be run on dates with even numbers and between 1:00 PM and 6:30PM and then only if the day is overcast, but not raining. It's clearly stated on page 4,312 in the playbook.

In all seriousness, it scares the crap out of me that this season we have run plays with a wide receive as a wildcat QB and a QB as a wide out, but we tried one screen pass. Talk about your WTFs.

Reaction Score
Hire old school, get old school. UConn missed the boat when Randy finally left and soiled the bed.

Reaction Score

What do you mean the announcers were awful? Mitchell was clearly our best player today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom