Does this mean Shirreffs stays? | The Boneyard

Does this mean Shirreffs stays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
After his benching and with much more pressing personal matters than another year of getting his clock cleaned 15 times a game many assumed Bryant would move on. HOWEVER, if healthy, Bryant could be extremely efficient and productive in Lashlee's offense. Many of us railed on the poor kid but he is a true gamer and the best option we have barring some grad or JUCO transfer. Whitmer had both feet out the door until until Diaco convinced him to stay. I think Shirreffs is Randy's most important recruit right now.

Reaction Score
I think Shirreffs would fit right in to the Malzahn Auburn offense. We can win next year with a QB. Shirreffs would be fine. If the staff has a grad transfer better, more power to them. But I agree -- an announcement that Shirreffs is coming back is a huge, huge step towards a good 2017 season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think its a safe assumption that Edsell and now Lashlee will talk with Shirreffs. FIngers crossed.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised to see Bryant come back next season. I think it is more likely to see a transfer (JUCO or 5th yr) instead. He also may see things he like about Williams on film and sticks with him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shirreffs took a beating at UConn. I hope he moves on and enjoys life.

On the off chance he does stay, he's going to handle the ball a bunch and he's going to get hit. He needs to learn how to take a hit and how to get on the ground safely before he takes a hit.

Reaction Score
Love Shirreffs, but the fact he has is starting a family with a new child is a big ask - If he wants to come back I would be happy as long as he isn't getting killed.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised to see Bryant come back next season. I think it is more likely to see a transfer (JUCO or 5th yr) instead. He also may see things he like about Williams on film and sticks with him.
Possible but this guy and staff are being incented to win now and Williams seems to be project player at best. Unless he's pulling hidden footage from practice, he's not finding anything good on the game film we've seen. But, kids do improve in spurts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Many of us railed on the poor kid but he is a true gamer.

I don't remember anyone railing on Shirreffs for not being able to take a beating. He regressed from 2015 at the position of quarterback.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I don't remember anyone railing on Shirreffs for not being able to take a beating. He regressed from 2015 at the position of quarterback.
many did the same at their respective positions, IMO.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Since basically everyone is going to be at square one...and incumbents wont have a big advantage due to the new coaching staff...I think bringing in a spread experienced JuCo or transfer is the best option. Sherriffs returning is the second best option.

Reaction Score
The only way that I want B.S. back is as a Grad Asst. if he feels that coaching is in his future. He took a beating at the hands of the previous regime & deserved better. He's paid his dues & is a true Husky. Time to look out for his family & get on with his professional life.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Since basically everyone is going to be at square one...and incumbents wont have a big advantage due to the new coaching staff...I think bringing in a spread experienced JuCo or transfer is the best option. Sherriffs returning is the second best option.
I am for the direction of doing both.
Chances are very good, multiple QB's will be needed this season. Bring back Shirreffs AND get a 5th yr or Juco transfer.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I am for the direction of doing both.
Chances are very good, multiple QB's will be needed this season. Bring back Shirreffs AND get a 5th yr or Juco transfer.
Which Big Ten teams might pursue top graduate transfer quarterbacks?

John Franklin III, Auburn
2016: 11 of 19, 179 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs; 414 rushing yards, 2 TDs

Speaking of guys who haven’t settled in anywhere, Franklin left Florida State for a junior college and is considering leaving Auburn after one season, as well. Jarrett Stidham deciding to join the Auburn quarterback meeting room is probably playing a role in that decision.

Franklin is an incredible athlete, but hasn’t really proven he can play quarterback for anyone. Maybe a school with not much to lose next season (i.e. Rutgers or Maryland) would give him a chance to prove he can be one?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Which Big Ten teams might pursue top graduate transfer quarterbacks?

John Franklin III, Auburn
2016: 11 of 19, 179 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs; 414 rushing yards, 2 TDs

Speaking of guys who haven’t settled in anywhere, Franklin left Florida State for a junior college and is considering leaving Auburn after one season, as well. Jarrett Stidham deciding to join the Auburn quarterback meeting room is probably playing a role in that decision.

Franklin is an incredible athlete, but hasn’t really proven he can play quarterback for anyone. Maybe a school with not much to lose next season (i.e. Rutgers or Maryland) would give him a chance to prove he can be one?
Is this the Last Chance U kid? Not an RKG.

Reaction Score
I think Shirreffs would fit right in to the Malzahn Auburn offense. We can win next year with a QB. Shirreffs would be fine. If the staff has a grad transfer better, more power to them. But I agree -- an announcement that Shirreffs is coming back is a huge, huge step towards a good 2017 season.

I know he looked green and raw in his debut but still hoping Donovan Williams proves to be the guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In fairness to BS, many of us railed on him not knowing Diaco was playing him while he had a criss-crossed rib cage.

Agreed. I was one of them. But I never ever questioned his toughness or heart or will to win. Decision making mostly, especially early in the year. I doubt he comes back. His life situation has changed.

I also think everyone who assumes that Donovan Williams can't be the quarterback we need is making an unwarranted assumption. In the right offense, with some blocking, he might be very good. Plus we have no idea how he'll develop from last year to next.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Agreed. I was one of them. But I never ever questioned his toughness or heart or will to win. Decision making mostly, especially early in the year. I doubt he comes back. His life situation has changed.

I also think everyone who assumes that Donovan Williams can't be the quarterback we need is making an unwarranted assumption. In the right offense, with some blocking, he might be very good. Plus we have no idea how he'll develop from last year to next.
I also think everyone who assumes that Donovan Williams can be the quarterback we need is making an unwarranted assumption. He played in the same offense, with the same blocking as BS and there was a night and day separation between the two, including speed. Plus we have no idea how he'll develop from last year to next. Got to let it play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom