Does Breanna Stewart make the Mt. Rushmore of UConn WCBB? | The Boneyard

Does Breanna Stewart make the Mt. Rushmore of UConn WCBB?

Will Stewie "belong" on the UConn WCBB Mt. Rushmore when she graduates?

• Yes, assuming she achieves what she's on pace to achieve

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Yes- actually, I think she's on there already

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • No, but only because I don't think the second half of her career matches her first

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No, not a chance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OK, let's spend a little more time projecting the career trajectory of Breanna Stewart as a college player.

So, we've talked about the all-time starting five for UConn being Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo, and Tina Charles. I believe the consensus is that Stewie will make it onto the starting five when all is said and done with her college career.

Given that, let's talk about something equally frivolous, nonetheless fun: the so-called Mount Rushmore of UConn WCBB. Whose four faces should appear in stone on the side of a mountain as THE greatest influences of the program? And will Stewie merit one of those places when she graduates?

Firstly, we could discuss who belongs on Mt. Rushmore now. I considered starting a separate thread on that very topic, but there was no good way to create an adequate poll with only seven choices, even with the option of allowing a selection of multiple responses. I simply would be insulting someone who at least deserves to be on the poll but I omitted.

If I had to vote for four players, it would go to Diana, Maya, Rebecca, and Kerry Bascom. I think if you evaluate what they've accomplished and whether UConn as a program was at that level of accomplishment already, you have to hand it to these four. UConn had never been to a Final four before Kerry, had never won a national championship before Rebecca, had never three-peated before Diana, and had never won 71 games in a row, much less 90, before Maya. All of those milestones were monumental in and of themselves, so those four players arguably deserve to be on the monument.

You could, of course, make a case for Sue Bird (who really moved UConn WCBB forward in a big way), Jenn Rizzotti (who some might argue was as important to UConn as Rebecca was), Tina Charles (the complement of the pair of aces who won 78 of those 90 games in a row), or maybe someone else whose name adorns the Huskies of Honor wall.

You could also make the case for a young woman who's been the Final Four MOP twice en route to winning two more national championships for UConn. I refer, of course, to Breanna Stewart. The point is that you could say that not only WILL Stewie end up on Mount Rushmore, but she's already done it.

Some of you, possibly the majority of you, may argue that Stewie will add to her accomplishments by the time she's finished her college career, and once she does, she will absolutely belong on Mt. Rushmore...but she still has to play out those two years.

Yet another argument you could make is that you worry about how much is at stake over the next two WCBB seasons, and you think Stewie might fall short of expectations. If that happens, that would keep her out of South Dakota.

Finally, some of you might say it's wonderful what she has accomplished, and possibly will accomplish, but bottom line, she doesn't even commit to UConn to begin with if it weren't for the contributions of the four women I asserted belong on Mt. Rushmore today.

Well, I think I've summarized the points that could be made about both sets of issues. Who "belongs" on the UConn WCBB Mt. Rushmore today? And does Stewie make it by April 2016, if indeed she shouldn't be there already?

Reaction Score
The qualifications of being "the greatest influence" are vague enough that you could make valid arguments for a whole bunch of players. I don't know how you could determine whether, for example, Bascom or Lobo were more important, since both were necessary for UConn to get where it was.

Having said that, if we were to change it to best basketball player, I don't think many reasonable people are going to argue that she's not in (or headed for) the top 3.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just my opinion of course, but she's the best player on the best team in WCBB. I know others have been terrific, but overall, even as a freshman, she was MOP at the final 4. She's already earned a spot on the Wall Of Honor. She's won 2 NC's - as many as Maya Moore. In a way it's sort of unfair to say she's "not deserving yet" because she's only played 2 years, but I get your question. I'd say as of now she's done enough to be considered as great as Dee and Maya...

Now if you are talking about the Mt Rushmore of UCONN - that would generally mean only 4 faces of the greatest of all time. Can't put her on that yet because she's been at UCONN for 2 years only.

My Mt Rushmore would be Lobo, Sales, Taurasi, Moore.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Chief Brody; "Your gonna need a bigger mountain!"

This is a delightful problem to have, of course; a surplus of icons, of Olympians (literally and figuratively), of elites.

One of my favorite little expressions is "Some say the glass is half empty. Some say the glass is half full. I say the glass is too big!". Not in this case - we need a bigger glass.

Reaction Score
ndmb, when did you become spokesperson for most reasonable people? Has UConn had a better shot blocker? Has UConn had a big who played up front on the pressure defense? Has UConn had a player who was the MOP as a freshman and sophomore? Has UConn had a big who could move around the court like Bre and should the three like Bre? Most reasonable people? She's not headed for the top 3? You must also be a psychic.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion of course, but she's the best player on the best team in WCBB. I know others have been terrific, but overall, even as a freshman, she was MOP at the final 4. She's already earned a spot on the Wall Of Honor. She's won 2 NC's - as many as Maya Moore. In a way it's sort of unfair to say she's "not deserving yet" because she's only played 2 years, but I get your question. I'd say as of now she's done enough to be considered as great as Dee and Maya...

Now if you are talking about the Mt Rushmore of UCONN - that would generally mean only 4 faces of the greatest of all time. Can't put her on that yet because she's been at UCONN for 2 years only.

My Mt Rushmore would be Lobo, Sales, Taurasi, Moore.

I would agree that it's premature to start chiseling her face quite yet since her college career is incomplete. However, barring some major setback, there is tittle doubt that Stewie will bump one of the current four (Bascom? Sales?) on Mt. Rushmore. I can picture that nice smile right now.

Reaction Score
We have had so many amazing players at UConn but for me personally, it's about the NC. How many you win gets you on the wall. Loba/Sales 1. Bird 2. Taurasi 3. Stewie 2 and counting. Maya 2. Maya is amazing but as far as I'm concered Taurasi stands alone at the top until someone knocks her off with 4 NCs or at least ties her with 3. With that said, I love every single husky that every played, whether they transfer or sit on the bench. They are all special to me. They all contribute in some way to the win.

Reaction Score
ndmb, when did you become spokesperson for most reasonable people? Has UConn had a better shot blocker? Has UConn had a big who played up front on the pressure defense? Has UConn had a player who was the MOP as a freshman and sophomore? Has UConn had a big who could move around the court like Bre and should the three like Bre? Most reasonable people? She's not headed for the top 3? You must also be a psychic.

Take another look at ndmb's post. His/her statement "I don't think many reasonable people are going to argue that she's not in (or headed for) the top 3" means that she's already in or headed for the top 3. How you interpreted it to mean "She's not headed for the top 3"?, I'm not sure.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Stewie is currently posing for the sculptor.

My current Rushmore has Diana and Maya. And half of the group of Lobo, Bascom, Charles, and Bird. Sales may be 7th. Tough choices!!

When Stewie is finished, she will be 1, 2, or 3 among the UConn greats.

And Katie Lou may push Tina and Sue down a notch. Life is good!! :)

T

TroyHouse66

Considering our program... it's history & future... the limit of four statuary profiles on Honorary Mountain is a wholly inadequate representation.
Our earth-shaking players (... or mountain-shaking, if you prefer) already seem to hover in the 5-7 range for enshrinement.
A better plan... one that would create an open-ended number (forgive the pun) of honored Huskies... could stand in anonymous tribute of an undefined team of five. By using a more subtle portrayal, UConn fans could envision any (and at the same time all) of our stars.
If we could locate a small low, laying ridge (perhaps over looking) (pun not intended) Knoxville, Tenn. The ridge could be sculpted into a grouping of five sets of anonymous buttocks. Each set of buttocks would bear a small boil or carbuncle featuring Geno's silhouette... represent the uplifting coaching that propelled each player to Greatness.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread cries out for some photoshop pictures. Any takers? Biff?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This thread cries out for some photoshop pictures. Any takers? Biff?

Actually this is an old subject. I did this Circa 2010/2011. Obviously the choices are subjective and up for debate.

Huskymore_plus.jpg

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Chief Brody; "Your gonna need a bigger mountain!"

This is a delightful problem to have, of course; a surplus of icons, of Olympians (literally and figuratively), of elites.

One of my favorite little expressions is "Some say the glass is half empty. Some say the glass is half full. I say the glass is too big!". Not in this case - we need a bigger glass.

I think Stewie is currently posing for the sculptor.

My current Rushmore has Diana and Maya. And half of the group of Lobo, Bascom, Charles, and Bird. Sales may be 7th. Tough choices!!

When Stewie is finished, she will be 1, 2, or 3 among the UConn greats.

And Katie Lou may push Tina and Sue down a notch. Life is good!! :)

The Greats vs the ones who moved UConn basketball forward. One could argue that we may not have gotten Diana, Maya and Breanna had we not had Kerry and Rebecca - Geno may have moved on and UConn would be gathering dust in the old field house. Just saying. I am agreeing with Pinotbear - we need a bigger mountain for all of the folks who deserve to be there....

(I decided to finish reading the thread before I wrote "We Need BIFF". Good thing I did.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually this is an old subject. I did this Circa 2010/2011. Obviously the choices are subjective and up for debate.

Huskymore_plus.jpg
Maya played in 154 games. I always knew she was a rock. :)

Very nice, Biff!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Stewart never played another game at UConn she would still be in the all-time Top 3.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Diana is the Greatest of all Time. You put any of those other players on the team that Diana took to the NC her senior year and would they have been able to do what Diana did? I really doubt it. Diana made everyone around her better and knew when to take a game over and when not to. She won when her game was on and she won when her game was off almost every time.

As far as Breanna. She is the most dominate player WCBB has ever seen. She can do everything with the ball and on defense she is all over the court. She will get better over the next 2 seasons barring any injuries. IMO she will carry UConn to 2 more NCs and it wont be close. As far as undefeated seasons this seasons thats a team thing. Kiah and Breanna need to stay out of foul trouble this season to make it happen. Breanna is a special player with athleticism, size and the gift to always be around the ball. Geno is the best teacher in WCBB. He also demands perfection and accountability through discipline. This is what makes UConn so dominate because the end result is confidence and trust in what the team is executing.

Breanna is have those qualities at a higer level. This will make her the most dominate player ever in WCBB. Will she pass Diana????????????????

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Diana is the Greatest of all Time. You put any of those other players on the team that Diana took to the NC her senior year and would they have been able to do what Diana did? I really doubt it. Diana made everyone around her better and knew when to take a game over and when not to. She won when her game was on and she won when her game was off almost every time.

Y'know, maybe. Diana couldn't do what Stewie did as freshman.

Reaction Score
...IMO she will carry UConn to 2 more NCs...

Carry? Lets not down play the quality of her teammates... a lot of very talented players on the team this year and next.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I said back in the spring/summer of 2012, Stewart was going to be on the DT/Moore level. And she has done nothing to detour me from that position. So yes, Stewart would go up on UCONN's Rushmore. Stewart, Taurasi, Moore and hmmmm. Probably Lobo for program impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom