Does anyone really think that expansion is going to make the Big12 more stable? | The Boneyard

Does anyone really think that expansion is going to make the Big12 more stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it just me, or do other people really doubt that this move will make the big 12 more stable? As far as I can tell Texas and Oklahoma still feel they are head and shoulders above all the other teams in this conference. The proof will be if they sign an extension of their grant of rights, because my feeling is they are going to be eyeing the exit door in a few years and jumping ship to the SEC, pac12, or even ACC. There's no way that the old-school fans of Texas and Oklahoma are thrilled about starting a longterm relationship with the likes of Cincinnati, Houston, or Memphis.....they think they are better than that....
Conference realignment won't be finished until the Big 12 extends their grant of rights to match the bar set by the acc.
Getting an invite to Big12 will be a life preserver with a leak in it....better than the alternative, but 5 mins after the invite , I'll be worrying about horns and Sooners leaving....

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It is possible that the new teams added will benefit from the bump up in level for recruiting, and even if UT and OK eventually leave, the remaining teams might be able to hang onto P5 status. Look what the Big East, a worse conference, did for Louisville and Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
UConn and Cincy might benefit greatly from all this, and Houston could easily outdo Baylor and TCU.

In other words, these G5 teams are better than some of the small time private dreck you see in other conferences.

Reaction Score
It is possible that the new teams added will benefit from the bump up in level for recruiting, and even if UT and OK eventually leave, the remaining teams might be able to hang onto P5 status. Look what the Big East, a worse conference, did for Louisville and Cincinnati.
Exactly....... Just being associated with the BIG EAST elevated UofL and Cincy . In Cincy's case I know we were able to recruit guys that Ohio State wanted, but wanted them to play defense instead of offense. Right now we are losing recruits to Northwestern and Indiana, that never would have happened when we were a BCS school. Take the next seven years and grow the program, don't just ride on UT and OU's sack. You'll have a window of opportunity, you gotta' maximize it.

Reaction Score
Exactly.. Just being associated with the BIG EAST elevated UofL and Cincy . In Cincy's case I know we were able to recruit guys that Ohio State wanted, but wanted them to play defense instead of offense. Right now we are losing recruits to Northwestern and Indiana, that never would have happened when we were a BCS school. Take the next seven years and grow the program, don't just ride on UT and OU's sack. You'll have a window of opportunity, you gotta' maximize it.

It's amazing how former BCS schools are treated now. The media has pushed the narrative that a UConn/Cinci/etc. are the same as MAC schools. I find it hilarious how people say they "don't want any of those G5 teams in their conference" when the G5 has only been a thing for a couple years. The label hurts a ton.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not at all. You just hope that you're given enough time before the Big XII implodes to build the athletic department and make a play for the ACC or Big XII. If we've learned anything from the Big East disaster, it's that we should never be complacent. Always be plotting how we can forward our own interests. I'd keep flirting with the B1G.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how former BCS schools are treated now. The media has pushed the narrative that a UConn/Cinci/etc. are the same as MAC schools. I find it hilarious how people say they "don't want any of those G5 teams in their conference" when the G5 has only been a thing for a couple years. The label hurts a ton.
It was a horrible designation they came up with. Dodd recently mentioned in a podcast that the ultimate cutoff for a split is,about 100 schools. Mentioned the American and Mountain West (some schools) as being worthy of inclusion. What he said is that schools are leery of the Appalachian State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern types.

What that split will eventually look like, according to him it could lead to some geographical Balance in the future. What he said made sense.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Beggars can't be choosers. Any P5 is better than current situation

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's an audition. We get to play in a P5 conference without a GOR. If we do well, and grow our profile, when the Big 12 loses UT and OU we may get a shot at making another step up.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Beggars can't be choosers. Any P5 is better than current situation

The issue is UConn shouldn't be a beggar as you put it. UConn should be in a P5 conference already and if it wasn't for some lousy things happening "BC and Miami" come to mind along with some politicians.

Time to take the next step up, period.

Reaction Score
Yeah, my point was not to diminish the importance of us getting into the big 12. I'm just saying that, for those people who think that this board will become irrelevant in one month, regardless of our entry or exclusion from the big 12, is mistaken. The realignment board will continue until Texas or Oklahoma become content where they are.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It'll continue forever. Of course first order of business is survival - get in to a P5. Once survival is assured, get healthy, and make sure over the next 8+ years that we demonstrate our P5 value so that we are never AAC'ed again.

Reaction Score
You take a Big 12 invite and you never look back. It doesn't matter if the current schools get the majority of the money, or if Texas and Oklahoma leave in a few years. You have zero leverage over the first scenario, and zero control over the second. Short term you make much more money than you could in The AAC, while playing a far better schedule for your fans. Long term you build your football program up over the next few years in order to position yourselves for whatever comes after The Big 12's GOR expires.

Option A- The B1G decides to expand coinciding with their next media deal. Schools like UT, OU, KU, MU, and UCONN get consideration.

Option B- ND decides to go all in with The ACC and they need a 16. UCONN, Cincy, and WVU get consideration.

Option C- Worst case scenario, a couple of teams join other conferences leaving behind a group of current Big 12 Members who merge with the best of the rest. Not ideal, but ultimately better than the current AAC in both money and membership.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It sounds like Texas is not going to extend the GOR. I don't know if them extending a GOR could be part of the horse-trading. If not, Texas is gone in 2024 or so. Or, at least they will look at their options then.

Reaction Score
You take a Big 12 invite and you never look back. It doesn't matter if the current schools get the majority of the money, or if Texas and Oklahoma leave in a few years. You have zero leverage over the first scenario, and zero control over the second. Short term you make much more money than you could in The AAC, while playing a far better schedule for your fans. Long term you build your football program up over the next few years in order to position yourselves for whatever comes after The Big 12's GOR expires.

Option A- The B1G decides to expand coinciding with their next media deal. Schools like UT, OU, KU, MU, and UCONN get consideration.

Option B- ND decides to go all in with The ACC and they need a 16. UCONN, Cincy, and WVU get consideration.

Option C- Worst case scenario, a couple of teams join other conferences leaving behind a group of current Big 12 Members who merge with the best of the rest. Not ideal, but ultimately better than the current AAC in both money and membership.

Exactly correct, you need to look no farther than Cincy's example to see why it helps. Even though they only had 6 or 7 seasons of Big East fball, they were able to take advantage of it and raise their profile dramatically. You have to get on the stage in order to play in the game. Even if the b12 splinter in 6 or 7 years, you will likely be a better football program, and the options will be better at that point than staying in the aac.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Texas is not going to extend the GOR. I don't know if them extending a GOR could be part of the horse-trading. If not, Texas is gone in 2024 or so. Or, at least they will look at their options then.

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 19h19 hours ago
Just imagine the president of Memphis or UConn or UCF calling Fenves and saying, "If you don't extend your GOR, then we're not..." *click*

Mike Finger@mikefinger
Texas Longhorns beat writer for SA Express-News/Houston Chronicle;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member