Do the Huskies get a top 25 ranking after this win?

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by Huskydog45, Nov 10, 2012.

1. HuskyfanDan

HuskyfanDan #BleedRed

i agree that rankings shouldnt mean much but its simply not the case this year. we are under a ban from the ncaa. every week we need good media from being ranked. the longer and higher we are ranked, more random writers are going to comment on things and just hammer the ncaa for fun. it may be 2 late for a ncaa ban to turn around but its not to late for this school to get any good press possible after the last couple years.

if we start the season on a little run, some 1 media wise will start the talking about is the best team not in the ncaas blah blha. we need that stuff this year. among many other reasons, its the difference between 13k in hartford for a prov type and 16k.

uconNYC and Sportsman5 like this.
  2. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon We are still UConn!!

Keep winning and it will come if it doesn't happen this week. I'm going out on a limb and predicting it will happen and in plenty of time to keep UConn in the discussion of elite programs.

3. ericsandiego

ericsandiego Cronus

Because preseason rankings are often just random guesses. UCONN started the season not too long ago in the top 10 and ended not even in the top 25. This year, we weren't on anyone's radar as even receiving votes and I think it's premature to expect the team should be ranked in the top 25 after beating a MSU team who may or may not be "that good". If MSU beats Kansas, I'll reevaluate. Fans are certainly entitled to think we deserve to be in the top 25 at this point, I simply don't.

The other reason - much of Ollie's M.O. this season is 10 toes in and take the stairs, etc etc. Hard work, team work, chemistry, be there for each other etc etc. I also wouldn't mind the team having a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Let them feel "snubbed" by the "powers that be" in NOT ranking us, not giving us respect, etc etc. I think that will help the team fare better in the long run than rewarding them with a top 25 ranking so early in a year that we are expected to struggle...

4. Husky68

Husky68

But you can pick a top 25 without anyone having any wins?

Sportsman5 likes this.
  5. Sportsman5

Sportsman5

I agree that a huge benefit of staying out of the rankings is the team keeps its edge. However, would it definitely lose it because it's ranked? Tough to say. I would say more good than bad comes out of being ranked as quickly as possible.

6. ericsandiego

ericsandiego Cronus

You are probably right. In theory, does the team deserve to be ranked? Probably, since they beat the #14 ranked team in the nation. But I'm ok with it either way, really...

7. CTBasketball

CTBasketball Arguably the Perfect Man...

I'd rather take a 9-1 record into conference play than be ranked 24th after Week 1.

8. arnie3

arnie3

Probably top 40 ("also getting votes"), but no higher.

9. johnhuskies95

johnhuskies95

I'm more curious to see where Michigan State is ranked. If they drop a lot that may be a good indication that the voters don't think UConn is good at all. If they don't drop a lot it may be because the voters don't think that losing to UConn is a bad loss. It doesn't really matter but it will be interesting.

fleudslipcon likes this.
  10. uconNYC

uconNYC

being in the rankings is important this year so we stay in the public eye. I'd fight for every vote I can get.

11. 3uconn

3uconn

Sportsman5 likes this.
  12. Brian

Brian

who bleeping cares just win games and get Kevin the job

GemParty likes this.
  13. HuskyfanDan

HuskyfanDan #BleedRed

we are #23 in the ap and #26 in the coaches(by 2 points to texas for #25) so looking toward monday

of note:
    -#21/22 msu knocked off #7 kansas
    -we beat wake and need to take care of biz the rest of the tney this weekend(new mex is a top 40 team getting votes-potential matchup...).
    -#22/20 wisc lost to #10 florida
    -#20/21 nd lost to st joes in ot
    -#16/17 baylor lost to colorado
    -texas did nothing important this week it looks like

top 20 this week in one of both i think

Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex