Do the Huskies get a top 25 ranking after this win? | The Boneyard

Do the Huskies get a top 25 ranking after this win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious to see if they get a top 25 ranking with this win in next week's poll. Currently, they have no top 25 votes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Can they even be ranked since they are not eligible for the postseason?

this is a good question. in fball teams who have bans can be ranked in coaches polls but not ap or something like that becuase 1 of them has influence in the bcs projections each week. in bball, there is no such influence. why the ranking is worth value to the overall landscape it has no burden on picking teams come march. i think we are allowed to be ranked but if we wernt i would like to know why/reasons.

i expect that rankings are fine with our situation and that we will be a top 25 team on monday.

H

Husk-E

I would hope we would be in top 25. We were probably on the border and now it's definite.

Reaction Score
We were on the border? I think we were expected to be awful.

Reaction Score
I asked Kevin Duffy if UConn could be ranked at some point this season, last month. He said they could.

Reaction Score
If there is a rule that a team can not be ranked because they can not play in the post season then what good are rankings? They should have to ban a team in the reg season for them to be excluded. If true add it to the long list of reasons why the NCAA can piss off.

Reaction Score
Considering the polls have no effect on the NCAA Tournament, There is no reason UConn shouldnt be ranked. In football the coaches poll actually means something as far as BCS standings are concerned. Thats why schools with a bowl ban cant be ranked.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Rankings have nothing to do with post season eligibility. Rankings are simply that - listing who they think are the top 25 teams in the country.

For the record, I doubt they will suddenly vault into the top 25 after receiving no votes, but they will get some votes and could be in the top 30 or 35. There are currently 51 and 46 (depending on the poll) getting votes, again, with UConn getting zero currently.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Rankings have nothing to do with post season eligibility. Rankings are simply that - listing who they think are the top 25 teams in the country.

For the record, I doubt they will suddenly vault into the top 25 after receiving no votes, but they will get some votes and could be in the top 30 or 35. There are currently 51 and 46 (depending on the poll) getting votes, again, with UConn getting zero currently.
I agree. They will get some consideration but probably not make the top 25. It would be nice if they can get there at some point this season just to keep UConn visible.

Reaction Score
They will not be in the top 25 based on one win. It was a great game and a gritty performance, but it's only one game. Putting them in the top 25 after one game is similar to giving Ollie a multi year contract based on one game. Not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I really think KO deserves a multi year contract in order to do his job effectively, but it doesn't make business sense to make that change right now.

Reaction Score
It was a game every college basketball analyst was watching as we were the first game of the season and there was no other game on at the time so I feel there is a high likely hood voters would have been impressed and reminded that we still have a few weapons. Also FSU lost so they will drop out. So I predict we replace them.

Reaction Score
this is a good question. in fball teams who have bans can be ranked in coaches polls but not ap or something like that becuase 1 of them has influence in the bcs projections each week. in bball, there is no such influence. why the ranking is worth value to the overall landscape it has no burden on picking teams come march. i think we are allowed to be ranked but if we wernt i would like to know why/reasons.

i expect that rankings are fine with our situation and that we will be a top 25 team on monday.
I think we will be included in the rankings because the teams we play will want credit for playing and possibly beating a ranked team...

Uconn is essentially a ranking's whore being pimped by the BE. No matter who Uconn beats, or how high they are ranked, the only benefit will come to the teams they play.

I can already see Uconn being a 'Big Win' for some borderline bubble team in March.

Reaction Score
considering the preseason rankings are just random guesses as to who will have the best teams I think UConn should definitely be ranked. The only reason there is preseason rankings is to create buzz for the season. There shouldn't even be preseason rankings. MSU and UConn both have a lot of talent and experience and we beat them. It's not like the college basketball season is 10 games in and we are 6-4 and because of this win we think that it negates the 4 losses and we should catapult past teams with only 1-2 losses. If you look at what makes a top team in college basketball we fit a lot of the criteria. We have talent in 4 top 100 recruits out of high school. We have experience in big games. 3 players won 5 games in 5 days to win the BET and went on to win the national championship and another was a part of the experience from the bench. We have a coach who the team will give 100% for and won't let down. I think Marquette from last year was a similar situation to us. They were talented, but undersized. They also had a coach who was motivating them to give 100% in every game. I don't see why we can't be as good as Marquette was last year. They had one player over 6'7" who played significant minutes and he's only 6'8". He also was hurt for part of the season. Marquette went 27-8. I don't think we will do that well, but 20 wins seems reasonable. That's 19 out of 27+ games the rest of the way and we haven't played any cupcake games yet. This team is good and will only get better as the season goes on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No and they shouldn't be. Now, if MSU beats Kansas, then I could see us moving up the following week, but I certainly could see us "getting votes"...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
No and they shouldn't be. Now, if MSU beats Kansas, then I could see us moving up the following week, but I certainly could see us "getting votes"...

hugh? give us reason why not...

i expect a 15-25 ranking this week and if we pissed msu/izzo off enoguh that they beat uk then we are 10-15 next week if we take care of business.

Reaction Score
MSU will likely still be ranked, and if that's the case UConn should be. That being said I don't even care. We have a tough week ahead let's focus on that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i agree that rankings shouldnt mean much but its simply not the case this year. we are under a ban from the ncaa. every week we need good media from being ranked. the longer and higher we are ranked, more random writers are going to comment on things and just hammer the ncaa for fun. it may be 2 late for a ncaa ban to turn around but its not to late for this school to get any good press possible after the last couple years.

if we start the season on a little run, some 1 media wise will start the talking about is the best team not in the ncaas blah blha. we need that stuff this year. among many other reasons, its the difference between 13k in hartford for a prov type and 16k.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Keep winning and it will come if it doesn't happen this week. I'm going out on a limb and predicting it will happen and in plenty of time to keep UConn in the discussion of elite programs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
hugh? give us reason why not...

i expect a 15-25 ranking this week and if we pissed msu/izzo off enoguh that they beat uk then we are 10-15 next week if we take care of business.
Because preseason rankings are often just random guesses. UCONN started the season not too long ago in the top 10 and ended not even in the top 25. This year, we weren't on anyone's radar as even receiving votes and I think it's premature to expect the team should be ranked in the top 25 after beating a MSU team who may or may not be "that good". If MSU beats Kansas, I'll reevaluate. Fans are certainly entitled to think we deserve to be in the top 25 at this point, I simply don't.

The other reason - much of Ollie's M.O. this season is 10 toes in and take the stairs, etc etc. Hard work, team work, chemistry, be there for each other etc etc. I also wouldn't mind the team having a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Let them feel "snubbed" by the "powers that be" in NOT ranking us, not giving us respect, etc etc. I think that will help the team fare better in the long run than rewarding them with a top 25 ranking so early in a year that we are expected to struggle...

Reaction Score
They will not be in the top 25 based on one win. It was a great game and a gritty performance, but it's only one game. Putting them in the top 25 after one game is similar to giving Ollie a multi year contract based on one game. Not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I really think KO deserves a multi year contract in order to do his job effectively, but it doesn't make business sense to make that change right now.

But you can pick a top 25 without anyone having any wins?

Reaction Score
Because preseason rankings are often just random guesses. UCONN started the season not too long ago in the top 10 and ended not even in the top 25. This year, we weren't on anyone's radar as even receiving votes and I think it's premature to expect the team should be ranked in the top 25 after beating a MSU team who may or may not be "that good". If MSU beats Kansas, I'll reevaluate. Fans are certainly entitled to think we deserve to be in the top 25 at this point, I simply don't.

The other reason - much of Ollie's M.O. this season is 10 toes in and take the stairs, etc etc. Hard work, team work, chemistry, be there for each other etc etc. I also wouldn't mind the team having a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Let them feel "snubbed" by the "powers that be" in NOT ranking us, not giving us respect, etc etc. I think that will help the team fare better in the long run than rewarding them with a top 25 ranking so early in a year that we are expected to struggle...

I agree that a huge benefit of staying out of the rankings is the team keeps its edge. However, would it definitely lose it because it's ranked? Tough to say. I would say more good than bad comes out of being ranked as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom