Distractions 'Til November | The Boneyard

Distractions 'Til November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While we wait with unflagging interest the start of the next WCBB season, there are distractions available:

The Summer Olympics
: Held in Brazil, which is about to expel its leader, about to go into bankruptcy, and which lacks potable water. Well, no place is perfect.

Sure Things: The US women's basketball team will win the gold w/out resistance, Kia Nurse will
be less happy this summer than last.

Marylander Katie Ledecky will win all of the distance events in the pool and perhaps
the 100 and 200 for the heck of it.

Nearly Sure Thing: The US women's soccer team will probably win the gold and give America a chance to
marvel at the wunderkind Mallory Pugh (age 17).

Baseball Season: A few years ago, a mainstream magazine called baseball “a stupid game,” making fun of its “pantaloons,” lethargic pace, and incessant spitting. George Will, however, assures us that the game is actually a deeply intellectual exercise (the only kind in which he participates). Either way, it does consume the hours between and leads to restful sleep.

The NFL:Begins play this season w/out a deflated Tom Brady. The NBA ends play

Of course there's lots more going on. Breanna Stewart will debut with Seattle, joining forces with Sue, Kaleena, and Jewell. College football starts. There's always Thanksgiving and Christmas, which because of earlier and earlier advertising may as well be made into a single holiday. And we will pine for November.

Final word: All of us are excited about Azura Stevens coming to UConn. Some of you think that a year of sitting out will be good for her. But I'm less sanguine. Sometimes the year away can cause an atrophying of a player's talents (see: Natalie Butler). I'm annoyed with the current rule and see no good reason why a college player can't transfer and pick up playing. (I understand the reason; I just don't like it.)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My distractions currently: Dandelions and voles. Rainbows and Browns. Making noise at the gun range. Watching deer eat my trees and flowers.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Imho, that was a totally inaccurate, nasty and uncalled for crack about Butler, and probably ought to be deleted by the mods.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hell of lot more than that going on. This is gonna be a great summer. :D

Triple Crown starts this weekend with the Kentucky Derby.

Champions League final is May 26th.

Copa America Centenerio is 6/3 - 6/26. And that's right here in the USA.

UEFA Euro 2016 is 6/10 - 7/10

Wimbledon is 6/27 - 7/10

Tour de France is 7/2 - 7/24

EPL starts 8/13, La Liga 8/21, Serie A 8/21

Then the kids are back in school. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In what way did Natalie Butler talents atrophy in the year she was sitting out?

Natalie got the bum end of the stick with the hand injury and unquestionably it did have a big negative impact on her year. I'm expecting her to charge out of the gate this fall. (sorry, I have the Triple Crown on my mind; somebody here put it there).

Reaction Score
huskyd, Natalie will surprise you this year. The hand, the cast / wrap and not playing with the starters did not help. From day one she will be the starting center, throwing outlet passes to Crystal to Gabby to Katie Lou for the layup. with Napheesa there for the putback.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Forgot about Euros being this year, looking forward to that one for sure.

For those of us who are golf inclined, we have the US Open at Oakmont, Open Championship at Troon, PGA Championship at Baltusrol, and Ryder Cup at Hazeltine coming up. Not to mention the Players Championship next week at Sawgrass.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is not in the spirit of this thread, but for those still reminiscing about last year, I wonder if anyone has candidates for the various players' best game of the year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My boat goes in the water, a week from Wednesday
With the effects of global warming, might be able to sail right through 'till practice starts

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It needs to be mentioned that the prequel to (Meyers' citation) Wimbledon is the French Open, coming at the end of this month. The world awaits, if Novak will finally put his bugaboo to rest.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A personal distraction planned - a visit to San Francisco (been there before) but with a focus on seeing the area lighthouses. There are not a lot of lighthouses in our current area. Tied in with a glass hobby class the wife will be taking for a couple days in Santa Clara.

We try to stay distracted - enjoying the softball season although her health issues have limited us to TV for the most part, saw Barry Manilow last night, and Alton Brown in 2 weeks. For those of you who know who Alton is, if you get to see him, go. We saw his last tour show and he was hysterical. This show is entitled "Eat your Science", IIRC.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Baseball Season: A few years ago, a mainstream magazine called baseball “a stupid game,” making fun of its “pantaloons,”

Manny Machado got "hit" by a pitch (Orioles vs. Red Sox game) and was awarded 1st base. The ball actually struck his "pantaloons." The announcer said "His bell bottoms got him."

Many years ago ('20's-'30's?) a pitcher named Dazzy Vance sliced his long-sleeved undershirt into a dazzling:rolleyes: array of ribbons as a means of distracting batters. MLB clamped down then, as it should now with the pantaloons - or bell-bottoms.

Reaction Score
My distractions currently: Dandelions and voles. Rainbows and Browns. Making noise at the gun range. Watching deer eat my trees and flowers.
I have a herd of 10 to 20 depending on the day and the quality of my garden. They love my peaches, plum, apple, apricots, strawberries, young squash, corn at any height, and like the Bob Steele--buffalo's , they are stomping on my ground stomping all around.
My strawberries will be ready in 2 weeks in three squash (yellow an Green) in 4 tomatoes--then peaches, plums, apricots etc. Yes the squash and tomatoes were started inside over a month ago. Unlike North Granby where we had turkey, bear, moose, coyote, running thru our yard plus deer. Only deer and rabbits on my side of town--bears and coyote run rampant THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN . Llama's are used to curtail coyote, I'm told.
But on to Uconn pre -pre pre season! Gabby will be working on her three, Naphessa will be working on the 3 and dribble drive attacks, Chong and Ekmark will be working on energy, defense, and drilling 3 after 3, Butler will be stressing Stevens (or visa verse ), Kia will be away with Team Canada trying to beat Stewie again, KLS will be rehabbing and working to keep her 3 ball her threat par excellence, Irwin (Kayla) , Bent, and Xtal will be working towards finding their way around campus and beating Gabby and Napheesa in pick ups.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the effects of global warming, might be able to sail right through 'till practice starts
Definition: Boat---a hole in the water in which you throw money. Sailed PR, Vieques, St Thomas, St. Croix then I filled up the hole and spend the money.

Reaction Score
In what way did Natalie Butler talents atrophy in the year she was sitting out?
Poor Natalie Butler--sat for over 19 months, no practices, no playing, just sitting--and atrophying away, who would have though Geno would be sooooo hard harted (purposely Mspd) and her a transfer---is this what is in store for the Dukie troopie?? HMMM
Her minute per game per rebound per points must have suffered greatly--hope the bench was at least pre warmed..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm going to be too busy keeping up with UConn alumni in the WNBA to worry about distractions.:):rolleyes:;)

Yeah, I broke down and as guilted by ThisJustin, signed up for the WNBA League Pass for a ridiculously low $15 for the season. Root, root, root for my Huskies in the WNBA and my Mercury most of all, albeit the Storm and Sun and whatever that team is that has Moriah(I'm working on it! Dagnabit!) are not too far behind.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
While we wait with unflagging interest the start of the next WCBB season, there are distractions available:

The Summer Olympics
: Held in Brazil, which is about to expel its leader, about to go into bankruptcy, and which lacks potable water. Well, no place is perfect.

Sure Things: The US women's basketball team will win the gold w/out resistance, Kia Nurse will
be less happy this summer than last.

Marylander Katie Ledecky will win all of the distance events in the pool and perhaps
the 100 and 200 for the heck of it.

Nearly Sure Thing: The US women's soccer team will probably win the gold and give America a chance to
marvel at the wunderkind Mallory Pugh (age 17).

Baseball Season: A few years ago, a mainstream magazine called baseball “a stupid game,” making fun of its “pantaloons,” lethargic pace, and incessant spitting. George Will, however, assures us that the game is actually a deeply intellectual exercise (the only kind in which he participates). Either way, it does consume the hours between and leads to restful sleep.

The NFL:Begins play this season w/out a deflated Tom Brady. The NBA ends play

Of course there's lots more going on. Breanna Stewart will debut with Seattle, joining forces with Sue, Kaleena, and Jewell. College football starts. There's always Thanksgiving and Christmas, which because of earlier and earlier advertising may as well be made into a single holiday. And we will pine for November.

Final word: All of us are excited about Azura Stevens coming to UConn. Some of you think that a year of sitting out will be good for her. But I'm less sanguine. Sometimes the year away can cause an atrophying of a player's talents (see: Natalie Butler). I'm annoyed with the current rule and see no good reason why a college player can't transfer and pick up playing. (I understand the reason; I just don't like it.)
I would modify the rule on transfers: either you sit out the first 5 games of the season, OR the last game of the season(NCAA tourney included).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Triple Crown starts this weekend with the Kentucky Derby.

Champions League final is May 26th.

Copa America Centenerio is 6/3 - 6/26. And that's right here in the USA.

Wimbledon is 6/27 - 7/10

Tour de France is 7/2 - 7/24

EPL starts 8/13, La Liga 8/21, Serie A 8/21

Then the kids are back in school. :D
How about them Leicester Foxes, huh Meyers??

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
My most recent distraction is a fox den about 200 feet away from our house in the woods. Our black lab discovered it and at least until the young foxes are gone we have to keep her away. There is at least 1 adult & 2 lil ones (kits?). If the weather ever clears up I'm going to try to get some images. I've named the momma Chris and the two lil ones rookie 1 & rookie 2.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Comin' thisaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69