Discussion thread | The Boneyard

Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Since it seems like we're done with 2017, who are we really targeting for 2018?

AJ Reeves seems like the best place to start. Naz Reid just said we are one of many schools recruiting him hard. Borges said Cam Reddish was a big target. Anyone else?

Reaction Score
Long list of point guards that we've offered; just off the top of my head, Jahvon Quinerly, Immanuel Quickley, Brandon Williams, Jamie Lewis. One of these guys would slide in nicely to the third guard role (assuming Adams is gone by then) behind a starting backcourt of MAL and Gilbert. Add any of these guys, especially Quinerly or Quickley, to those two and Vital and you've got an insane guard group, especially if we do close out on Reeves, as well.

Depending on scholarships, the class could be as large as one of those guys, Reeves, another wing (Ayala, someone else, Reddish in a dream world), and a big man (I'd prefer Shittu).

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Not expecting a big 2018 class. It seems like Ollie is looking for a PG every class with how many he's targeted, and having Adams-Gilbert-MAL in a row. Also looking at some forward and wings mostly. Williams is a PG, Weaver/Ayala are combos, and Reeves a true SG. Reddish/Moore are skilled forwards that can play 3 or 4, Wilson is a lanky 3 who might evolve into a stretch 4 if he can rebound, and Shittu is a stretch 4 who has played C because of his physical tools. Probably looking at a class of 2 or 3 (guard+forward or 2 guards+forward)

G:
Brandon Williams - CA
top 25, crafty guard who can shoot, unofficially visited in October, might be a tough pull from the West Coast
Elijah Weaver - FL
top 50, long pg with physical skills, unofficially visited in October, Louisville+others involved
Eric Ayala, MD (Putnam Science)
top 50, combo guard who has decent shot, had a big summer, potential 2017 reclass, Syracuse/MD+others
AJ Reeves - MA
top 75, shooter who fits the third guard spot perfectly, UConn lean??

Breakdown: Williams and Weaver are the top to PG targets. Weaver has some connection to L'Ville (ex-coach or something??). Ayala may reclass, but if not he is a player we will be close with until the end. Reeves is a shooter at the 2G, but can play the 3 guard perfectly at 6'5" - would be a great fit and my personal favorite.
Most likely: Reeves, then Ayala (w/o reclass)

W/F:
Cameron Reddish - PA
top 5, swiss army knife (DHam like), likes KO, Duke+others
Khavon Moore - GA
top 25, versatile point-forward, UConn scouted him early last year... not a lot of buzz since
Simi Shittu, Canada (Montverde Academy - FL)
top 25, skilled forward, UConn has checked him out a lot, unofficially visited, lots of big names involved
Sidney Wilson - NY (Brewster Academy - NH)
top 50, lanky wing, visited with top C Moses Brown

Breakdown: Reddish might be a Duke lean, but he is incredibly good. Top 5 in the class, so would be a nice get. Moore is also a huge talent, but unclear if we are still pursuing him. Wilson would be a good fit, but doesn't look like he can play 4. Shittu is a physical beast who plays 4 and can do a lot from that spot but can also face-up and drive.
Most likely: Shittu (staff has put in a lot of work here), then Wilson (wish I could say Reddish)

Offers:
G: TJ Moss (TN), Jamie Lewis (GA), Jahvon Quinerly (NJ), Atiba Taylor (NJ), Immanuel Quickley (MD), Jalen Carey (NJ), David Singleton (CA), Luguentz Dort (FL), JaVonte Smart (LA)

W: Luther Muhammad (NJ), Louis King (NJ), Zion Williamson (SC)

F/C: Marvin Bagley (AZ), Nate Roberts (MD), Naz Reid (NJ), Moses Brown (NY)

There's also a pretty long list of scouted players ... if you're really interested.

NOTE: 2018 recruiting will not be for the faint of heart - with a small class and running at some top guys, there will be misses and 2 maybe 3 commitments. You've been warned.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Since it seems like we're done with 2017, who are we really targeting for 2018?

AJ Reeves seems like the best place to start. Naz Reid just said we are one of many schools recruiting him hard. Borges said Cam Reddish was a big target. Anyone else?
Chances are we will have three or four scholarships available. I think that'll mean 1 wing, 1 big, and 1 "best talent available."

Top Target
AJ Reeves:
6-foot-6, 4-star SG from Boston who appears to love us with all his heart. Generally regarded as a top 60 talent and he's come into his own as a shooter. Unlikely to be a game-breaker as a freshman but is a future NBA player if he fulfills his potential. Louisville, Providence & Maryland are trying hard.

Inside Track
Sidney Wilson:
6-foot-6, 4-star SF from the Bronx who is flying under the radar a little bit. Generally regarded as a top 100 talent, he's attracting interest from big schools (Texas, Indiana, Louisville) but not soooo big that we can't beat them. Dude is wildly athletic -- reminds me of Rudy Johnson.

Eric Ayala: 6-foot-4, 4-star CG from Delaware who plays at PSA. He's not a super athlete or shooter, but he's uncanny with his change-of-pace and body control, so he draws a ton of fouls. Can reclass to 2017. We'd take him if he reclasses, but if he does he's more likely to go to Syracuse (even though he seems to prefer us as his destination).

Emmanuel Dowuona: 6-foot-10, 4-star center from Miami. He's long & unpolished but has a higher IQ than most realize and still brings all the defensive stuff you'd expect from someone with his physical profile. Gorgui Dieng is probably the right comp, and that makes sense since it seems like it's already down to us vs. Louisville (tho obviously it's far from done). I think (but am not certain) Nantambu has AAU connections.

Jalen Carey: 6-foot-3, 4-star CG from North Jersey who's supposed to be more of a scorer than a floor general. Generally considered a top 100 player, and generally considered to get his points by being a heady, high-IQ player rather than a knockdown shooter or elite finisher at the rim. Haven't seen him play, but generally sounds like a bigger, rich man's Vital to me. Virginia & Notre Dame have offered, but no one huge.

Jahvon Quinerly: 6-foot-0, 4-star PG from Jersey City who's a borderline 5-star, so basically a top 30 player in the class. Pure floor general who's not going to blow by anybody or pull of some of Jalen's acrobatics, but he makes zero mistakes. Villanova and Virginia are recruiting him hard. I frankly find it difficult to imagine a PG committing to us for 2018 given that we'll have 2 freshman PGs in 2017 (Alterique & MAL), and we seem to have backed off of him a little bit since Alterique took a redshirt.

Shoot for the Moon Big Men
Naz Reid:
6-foot-10, 5-star PF from Newark who is basically a left-handed Chris Webber. 7-foot-3 wingspan, top 10 player in the class. Incredible rebounder, passer and finisher around the hoop, he protects the paint and has the vision of a guard. Doesn't play particularly hard and is coming off an ACL tear, but god I love watching him play. UK have made him a priority so don't hold your breath.

Simi Shittu: 6-foot-9, 5-star PF from Canada who is a point forward in the Draymond Green or Nigel Hayes mold. Generally considered a top 10 prospect. Not as long as either of those guys, but built like a brick ****house and he can get off the floor quick. Rebounds, passes, defends, runs the break, finishes on the break, and I'm going to assume he can help the #icebus. Lack of length means he's not an ideal NBA candidate so UK probably won't recruit him, but everyone else will (UCLA & Louisville & Washington have already offered). Plays hard.

Moses Brown: 7-foot-0, 5-star C from from Queens. Kind of unpolished but a super athlete with great length and a quick second jump. Rebounds, protects the paint, etc etc etc. Everybody under the sun -- including Duke & UK -- has offered and made him a priority. Want to go head-to-head with the big boys again? Here's your guy.

Shoot for the Moon Wings
Cam Reddish:
6-foot-7, 5-star SF from Pennsylvania who's a top 5 player in the class. Imagine Daniel Hamilton with more athleticism and explosiveness -- that's Reddish. He's excellent. Nobody would think he'd be interested in us, except he's spoken absolutely glowingly of Ollie in just about every interview. Duke, UK, Arizona, etc etc have all offered.

Khavon Moore: 6-foot-8, 5-star SF from Atlanta who's a top 10 player in the class. Very Rudy Gay-esque in terms of his ability on the break and power finishing at the rim. Super athlete. 100% pick for UK on the crystal ball so let's not get our hopes up too much, ok?

Shoot for the Moon Guards
Immanuel Quickley
: 6-foot-3, 5-star PG from Maryland who's generally regarded as a top 15 player in the class. Super long, super-high IQ, very smart player. Doesn't shoot it all that well, isn't great at finishing at the rim, but makes everybody better. Offers from everybody including UK, Duke, UNC, Arizona, UCLA, etc. I think we have no shot.

Brandon Willimas: 6-foot-1, 5-star PG from LA who's generally considered a top 20 player in the class. Super fast, especially on the break, and while his jumper is sketchy at the moment his form is good. He'll be a shooter. Maybe a little more of a combo guard at this point, I think he'll become a real PG. Very right-handed, so he's really a lot like Jalen in almost every aspect.

Others
Cole Swider:
6-foot-8 SF from Rhode Island who may be the best shooter in the class. Top 150 (and rising) recruit, who's drawing interest from Duke, UNC, Villanova, etc. We haven't offered but I really *****ng want us to.

EDIT: I'll add more to this later. Put a gun to my head, and I'll tell you that Reeves, Swider & Reid is the perfect class.

Reaction Score
Watched cam reddish last night and damn. Kid is special. So smooth.

I also love what cole swider bring to team. Great length, decent athlete and knock down shooter. I see a Niels like type player.

I have said it before but the Lithuanian big on Brewster would be ok by me. Reid is obviously a specimen and because of that he might be on campus a short period of time wherever that is. Kisunas can board, has good size, goes up strong and has a decent stroke. Couple times I have seen him thought he would be a nice pickup for any team.

Those are the kids I have seen. Man though a class of reeves and swider answers the bell as far as improved shooting is concerned.

Also, Sid Wilson has pogo sticks for legs. The kid can leap and leap quickly. He made some blocks where it was like woah. Not sure his skills are as good a match but man he is a highlight reel. Think of a shorter Stanley Robinson.

Reaction Score
With Matrim on Swider someone is going to get a special kid who can shoot lights out, and Lord knows we need one of those.

Reaction Score
I really want Shittu and Reeves and I think both are very possible acquisitions. If we actually have a shot with Reddish that'd be awesome. We're in on a bunch of good players and it's exciting.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Give me shittu reeves and one of Ayala/reddish
Give me Shittu & Reeves and literally any other player and I'll scream for joy.

I don't want folks to sleep on Dowuona, btw, despite his low-ish ranking. He's got size, length, athleticism, some strength, good hands & he loves to rebound. I honestly don't care that he lacks a real post game -- if we get him, I'll be thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom