Disappointing Single Digit Win Record | The Boneyard

Disappointing Single Digit Win Record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay with 4 games left on the regular season schedule and with only 9 wins (embarrassing) this season ( Thank our Lucky Stars with 4 of those wins coming against Arizona State and Huntsville/Alabama) we can all agree it was another disappointing season in Storrs for the UCONN Men's Hockey Program. Having said that I think some of the disappointment/embarrassment for the school, alumni, athletic administration,fans etc.. can be salvaged if the following could happen. Basically if UCONN can sweep NU and UNH these next two weekends get some help from other teams to get the 8th spot and host a playoff series and win that series than the season would be salvaged. Anything less than that would be another huge disappointment for the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would put a very,very short leash on Nichols tomorrow night in net. I said last week before the PC series Cavanaugh should of went with Creel and after letting up 7 goals (with more than a few softies ) during the 2 game PC sweept maybe he should of listened especially after PC scored 10 goals against him last year at PC. The question is why not play Creel tomorrow night vs NU? Last year against NU Nichols got lit up with 9 goals against him in one game. Nichols with his 2.82 GA and .912 Save Percentage or Creel with his 2.98 GA and .906 Save Percentage? Not that big of a difference right? Creel has performed admirably against HE competition this year in his few starts in net. NU is not a team UCONN should be timid about especially at the XL Center.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I agree about the last part anyway. Not sure you can pin the 4 goals at PC all on Nichols either. When s guy stops 40 that suggests his teammates are getting a little overpowered. I didn't see any soft ones on Saturday either.
This is something of a big weekend for UConn though. Taking 4 from NU would be great

Reaction Score
No your right I'm not suggesting the reason why UCONN lost to PC was all Nichols fault. If we can't score goals we are not going to win no matter what but there were some soft goals in both games. I'm suggesting to put in Creel to shake things up - what the heck do we have to loose? Its a low calculated risk/decision which could net a higher return with a win plus Creel doesn't seem to give up as many juicy rebounds like Nichols who has the tendency on occasion to serve them up like a Pez Dispenser.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm going to the NU game so we can put that in the win column. They always win when I go.

Reaction Score
I'm going to the NU game so we can put that in the win column. They always win when I go.
Alright I like your attitude and confidence. I'm feeling good about tonight's game myself. It should be a playoff type atmosphere from here on in. BLEED BLUE!

Reaction Score
I'll bite ... simply for the entertainment value ... sorry Viking ...

Three weeks ago you crucified Cav for not having a Hockey East caliber back up goalie on the roster when Nichols went down. Now you want to pull Nichols if he falters early and replace him with that same goalie you deemed not capable to play in this conference. What did you read in the box scores in the last 3 weeks that made you completely change your mind?

Reaction Score

Three weeks ago you crucified Cav for not having a Hockey East caliber back up goalie on the roster when Nichols went down. Now you want to pull Nichols if he falters early and replace him with that same goalie you deemed not capable to play in this conference. What did you read in the box scores in the last 3 weeks that made you completely change your mind?
Stop it with your reasoning and fact-based arguments. They have no place here.

Reaction Score

Well first off I never jumped on the Nichols band wagon like everyone else he is an average goalie with a .912 Save Percentage and a 2.82 GA average. If he didn't play in net against Arizona State, Huntsville/Alabama, Maine etc.. his stats would be horrendous plus last year against NU he let in (9) goals. Now do I think Creel is an every day D1 goalie? I'm not sure but he does look alot calmer between the pipes than Nichols and his rebound control is a hell of a lot better than Nichols. When Nichols is in net I got to believe the other teams are instructed to shoot the puck from any where on the ice against him because he kicks the pucks straight out like a Pez Dispenser compared to Creel who kicks them off the side glass/boards. It's partly a hunch with me and partly Nichols past experience against NU why I would like to see someone else in net tonight.

Reaction Score
By some reverse, warped reasoning, perhaps a goaltender's save percentage and goals against inexplicably are not impacted when playing against top ranked opponents. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It was another embarrassing performance by a Cavanaugh coached hockey team. This script is easy to write because it's the same story every year - his players tune him out and don't play for him. When a team constantly tunes out a coach and his assistance no matter what sport it's for one reason and one reason only - they don't respect them as human beings or they don't respect them as coaches or in alot of cases it's both. Body language would of told you the coaching staff had the deer in the headlights look last night behind the bench. Now if you think I'm the only person who thinks this way you should of heard the crowd booing which I have never heard before at a UCONN home event. The boo's started in the first period and they didn't stop through out the entire game. Was it justified ? Absolutely. BTW - He should of started Creel in net - please see above posts for the reasons why.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was another embarrassing performance by a Cavanaugh coached hockey team. This script is easy to write because it's the same story every year - his players tune him out and don't play for him. When a team constantly tunes out a coach and his assistance no matter what sport it's for one reason and one reason only - they don't respect them as human beings or they don't respect them as coaches or in alot of cases it's both. Body language would of told you the coaching staff had the deer in the headlights look last night behind the bench. Now if you think I'm the only person who thinks this way you should of heard the crowd booing which I have never heard before at a UCONN home event. The boo's started in the first period and they didn't stop through out the entire game. Was it justified ? Absolutely. BTW - He should of started Creel in net - please see above posts for the reasons why.
You must not go to any football games then....or men's hoops. But then again it's hard to tell when you are following the football or basketball team in the Courant sipping scotch by the fire. You should really try to get out more.

Reaction Score
I think its a safe bet to say your buddy Cavanaugh and his highly trained staff of assistant coaches he was responsible for hiring days at UCONN are dwindling game by game, week by week and day by day.

Reaction Score
I think its a safe bet to say your buddy Cavanaugh and his highly trained staff of assistant coaches he was responsible for hiring days at UCONN are dwindling game by game, week by week and day by day.
probably haven't seen a worse game in that building since the Whalers last skated on that ice Hockeyfailure44. 2 seasons ago I watch Kuunas skate at the Milford Ice Pavilion as a freshman vs SHU and thought he was a talented player. Last night truly shows the difference between AHA the home of your boy Berard and his Holy Cross team and HE. Kuunas is a 3rd pair Dman at best..a scratch most nights when team is healthy. But then again if you were a true UConn sports fan as you say you are..you would have heard the boo's at the Rent the past 5 seasons. I see Thompson is moving up into the first round...make sure you tell the NHL scouts how bad you think he is before he gets drafted there. Oh yeah one more thing...Rachel Rubin..acting Athletic Director sits in my section (103)..make sure you stop by against UNH to tell her you will be giving a significant donation so they can upgrade Freitas and fire Cav...also make sure you hand her your list of coaches you want hired. That way she can expedite the firing. You are so educated in the coaching scene of D-1 hockey....I'm sure you have contacts with coaches who will jump at the chance to coach this team!

Reaction Score
First off I would never step foot in that dump in Milford unless I was wearing a gas mask and protective gear. Last night the dman who stood out like a sore thumb was Pratt the co -captain with (3) stupid penalties and an additional 10 minute unsportsmanlike penalty for swearing at the ref. Not sure who recruited him but he is a D3 player at best slow, doesn't win his battles and obviously he has a tough time defending and getting the puck out of the zone. I'm not sure who recruited Kunnas but is he a HE caliber dman? No. Someone sitting beside me last night was going crazy (I dont think the beers he was pounding helped the situation either lol)when Pratt got his 3rd penalty and yelled out how can that kid be a captain? Another guy turned around and said because he is on the coach's family and friends plan. I wasn't sure what that meant?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First off I would never step foot in that dump in Milford unless I was wearing a gas mask and protective gear. Last night the dman who stood out like a sore thumb was Pratt the co -captain with (3) stupid penalties and an additional 10 minute unsportsmanlike penalty for swearing at the ref. Not sure who recruited him but he is a D3 player at best slow, doesn't win his battles and obviously he has a tough time defending and getting the puck out of the zone. I'm not sure who recruited Kunnas but is he a HE caliber dman? No
UConn plays a league AHA game in CT and you make that comment...that really shows your knowledge and support of UConn hockey.....time for you to shut down the keyboard.

Reaction Score
I support UCONN Hockey just don't schedule Sacred Heart any more because they embarrass the school by kicking out butts each year and clearly their coaching staff always out coach's ours lol.

Reaction Score
I support UCONN Hockey just don't schedule Sacred Heart any more because they embarrass the school by kicking out butts each year and clearly their coaching staff always out coach's ours lol.
That was a AHA league game...just like I said..time to shut down your keyboard. By the way..what section are your season tickets in at the XL Center?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Let's see who knows more about goalies....Hockeyfan44 from his keyboard or Andrew Raycroft, former NHL goalie and UCONN Hockey goalie coach who coaches the kids in practice?

Reaction Score
Hockeyfan44 - 1
Andrew Raycroft - 0

:)
More like hockeyfraud44...you can't answer the question about where your season tickets are at the XL Center because you don't have season tickets. Nice try though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom