Did we know Stewie won the Honda award? | The Boneyard

Did we know Stewie won the Honda award?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I did not know that. But considering it's just being reported today... I suppose we can be forgiven. :cool:

Reaction Score
Congratulations to a young lady who richly deserves every accolade she receives. She has already reached the upper heights among UConn players and yet her stock just keeps rising. We are blessed to be able to witness her many talents!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OK, to summarize the 2014-15 season, UConn certainly felt the losses of Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson, but...

• UConn won its 10th national championship, earning Geno the moniker "The John Wooden of WCBB"
  • The Huskies' margin of victory against Stanford was -2, but every other MOV was 10+
  • UConn defeated every other Final Four team, posting a 4-0 season-wide record against those three squads. This includes 10- and 18-point wins over Notre Dame, a 25-pointer over South Carolina, and a 23-point win over Maryland.
  • Four Huskies (Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson, KML) were arguably among the top 10 in the country, with only Morgan not getting the accolades she deserved.
  • Meanwhile, Moriah certainly got the accolades she deserved, winning the Leiberman award as top PG in the nation.
  • And finally, Stewart has won every accolade she possibly could, a clean sweep. She has already accomplished things that Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi did not at the college level. I'm not saying who's better; I'm merely making an observation.
Yeah, I'd say the Huskies fared pretty decently in 2014-15...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, to summarize the 2014-15 season, UConn certainly felt the losses of Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson, but...

• UConn won its 10th national championship, earning Geno the moniker "The John Wooden of WCBB"
  • The Huskies' margin of victory against Stanford was -2, but every other MOV was 10+
  • UConn defeated every other Final Four team, posting a 4-0 season-wide record against those three squads. This includes 10- and 18-point wins over Notre Dame, a 25-pointer over South Carolina, and a 23-point win over Maryland.
  • Four Huskies (Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson, KML) were arguably among the top 10 in the country, with only Morgan not getting the accolades she deserved.
  • Meanwhile, Moriah certainly got the accolades she deserved, winning the Leiberman award as top PG in the nation.
  • And finally, Stewart has won every accolade she possibly could, a clean sweep. She has already accomplished things that Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi did not at the college level. I'm not saying who's better; I'm merely making an observation.
I don't know, I am still salty over UCONN not snagging that Dawn Staley award and ESPN player of the year that hurt- NOT!

Reaction Score
Yes to all of the above but I cringe when someone (basically everyone not on the BY) says that "Stewie will do what no one else ever has if she wins four National Championships". She won't be alone. Her class will join her. Without Moriah and Morgan they might not have three. Stewie knows that (see the NC postgame award ceremony) but ESPN doesn't seem to know.
Stewie may be a star for the ages but her classmates gave us some of the best moments of this past very good year. Kudos to Stewart, but honestly, I don't know how well we would have finished the year without Moriah.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, to be fair, in their freshman year Stewie was a much bigger part of the Final Four than Moriah and Morgan. Moriah was GREAT in the tournament, especially against Maryland and Kentucky, but Stewie really carried them to the win over ND. So I think that's how she established herself as the "star". And Morgan missed a lot of games that year if I recall.

But I agree, if this class wins again next year they will have to be considered the best in UConn history, bar none. And if Stewie wins four MOPs in a row, well....

Reaction Score
Past basketball players to win the Honda Cup:
Lucy Harris
Ann Meyers
Nancy Lieberman
Cheryl Miller
Kamie Ehtridge
Teresa Weatherspoon
Dawn Staley
Rebecca Lobo
Jennifer Rizzotti

Chamique Holdsclaw
Jackie Stiles
Candace Parker
Maya Moore (twice)
Brittney Griner

Other notable winners:
Misty May (volleyball)
Mia Hamm (soccer)
Lisa Fernandez (softball)
Jackie Joyner (track & field)
Tracy Caulkins (twice) (swimming )

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And Maya won the all sport award I believe once - not sure if any others of the basketball winners did that?

Reaction Score
And Maya won the all sport award I believe once - not sure if any others of the basketball winners did that?
Twice. Only BB player to do that (see list above). The Honda Cup (vs. Honda "Award") is the multi-sport award. Maya's first one was a tie - the other winner that year was a volleyball player (Megan Hodge).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Last year UConn had double Honda sports award winners with Stewart in basketball and MariaElena Bolles of the NC-winning field hockey team getting UConn's fourth winner in that sport and first in 25 years. This year a SUNY-Albany won the award in field hockey instead of any member of UConn's repeat NC champs. 15 basketball players have won the previous 38 cups, so Stewie has a decently good chance. No field hockey player has ever won the Cup.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is great that Stewie and MoJet and Morgan will share the all-time record for most NCs (even though Stewie and MoJet will have it for only one season). :)

Reaction Score

The NC, all the awards , the domination of their peers...all are great accomplishments. However, what really struck me is how the group matured and grew personally. They clearly bought into the program and did what was asked of them. Only Stewie knows for sure but IMO her emotional moment after the NC game could have been her realization and understanding of what UCONN basketball is all about. She got it. All the hard work , the selflessness, the attention to detail, the CD input into personal conduct, all else that is UCONN etc all added up to a NC and realization of a dream. The leadership that Stewie, Mo and Tuck next year will have a profound effect on the incoming class and it will be felt for a long time to come.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Well, to be fair, in their freshman year Stewie was a much bigger part of the Final Four than Moriah and Morgan. Moriah was GREAT in the tournament, especially against Maryland and Kentucky, but Stewie really carried them to the win over ND. So I think that's how she established herself as the "star". And Morgan missed a lot of games that year if I recall.

But I agree, if this class wins again next year they will have to be considered the best in UConn history, bar none. And if Stewie wins four MOPs in a row, well....

And what could be almost unbelievable is that Morgan 'could' be wearing 5 rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01