Diamond Deshields to UNC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
This is very bizarre. And things that begin in a bizarre way, frequently end that way as well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Two more??? Hmmmmm.

The long of it: I don't know the details of the NCAA's recruiting rules, but if NC does get two more commits today, the NCAA should seriously consider instituting some new firm guidelines, which most programs today already seem to adhere to in the name of both sanity and propriety.

The short of it: The number 15 should have a bit more meaning.

If a rule like this ever does get instituted, it should thereafter be referred to as the "Hatchell Rule".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They are possibly looking at a 6-pack in ONE day.

Something smells funny here.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just noticed that HG has both a "Bria Day" and "Briana Day" with the same height & HS. I see no evidence that they're twins, so it may be a duplicate entry, cutting the NC total by 1.
They are twins. One--I think the lower ranked sister--decommitted but may have recommitted.

Reaction Score
The long of it: I don't know the details of the NCAA's recruiting rules, but if NC does get two more commits today, the NCAA should seriously consider instituting some new firm guidelines, which most programs today already seem to adhere to in the name of both sanity and propriety.

Unfortunately this goes on all the time in CFB (particularly the SEC). Teams add 40 players for 30 spots. Then they decide not to renew the scholarships for 10 underperforming upperclassmen.

A rule was being considered that all scholarships would be guaranteed for 4 years. I do not know where that stands now.

Reaction Score
The #3, #9, #15, #18, #27 players. Sounds like what we've been hearing from TN...

Reaction Score
Sounds like a moon shot attempt. Shooting star last ditch effort for one more NC before retirement. Not a strategy to build a long term superior program. I can see where it would be possible for a group of 18 year old stellar recruits to be convinced to band together a la LeBron to create a superteam that would play together for four years and get a couple of NCs in the process. I say shooting star, because future recruiting would be difficult because of the bad public relations created by all of the kids losing their schollies to make way for the superteam members. Who would like to attend a school that might abandon you after a year or two?

If this is what is happening,, I think the NCAA will step in to prevent this kind of thing in the future, so it's a one time only possibility. If nothing is done, I think women's basketball is finished. I hope I'm not interpreting this correctly.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this goes on all the time in CFB (particularly the SEC). Teams add 40 players for 30 spots. Then they decide not to renew the scholarships for 10 underperforming upperclassmen.

A rule was being considered that all scholarships would be guaranteed for 4 years. I do not know where that stands now.
Jim Calhoun offered a scholly he didn't have to Andre Drummond. Fortunately for JC, Michael Bradley gave up his scholly for a year for the #1 ranked Drummond.

arch

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun offered a scholly he didn't have to Andre Drummond. Fortunately for JC, Michael Bradley gave up his scholly for a year for the #1 ranked Drummond.

I don't think MB gave up anything but I get the point.

Not sure JC is a role model for recruiting behavior.

PS AD was no 2 at best . :) Kentucky got no 1.

Reaction Score
Two more??? Hmmmmm.

The short of it: The number 15 should have a bit more meaning.

If a rule like this ever does get instituted, it should thereafter be referred to as the "Hatchell Rule".

I certainly don't know the details, but it doesn't feel like Hatchell is in control of this. Feels like the new recruits/commits have started running the program - - guess that "freedom" DD wanted started immediately

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yeah. They heard rumors a bunch of top 30 players would all go to the same under-performing school, and naturally assumed . . .

Now, wouldn't that be hysterical? In their secret chat sessions Maria told them she heard that those players were going to one school and they were all convinced it was UT.

Way too funny. If Russell joins them or goes to Louisville, the best Tenn can expect is a couple of top 20 players. Not exactly the start Warlick needed.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I certainly don't know the details, but it doesn't feel like Hatchell is in control of this. Feels like the new recruits/commits have started running the program - - guess that "freedom" DD wanted started immediately
How could she not be in control? She has to offer them scholarships before anything happens.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Now, wouldn't that be hysterical? In their secret chat sessions Maria told them she heard that those players were going to one school and they were all convinced it was UT.

Way too funny. If Russell joins them or goes to Louisville, the best Tenn can expect is a couple of top 20 players. Not exactly the start Warlick needed.
And Harrison as their only center through 2014.

Wait.... They will get a couple of JC's. Yeah, that's it!

Reaction Score
How could she not be in control? She has to offer them scholarships before anything happens.
Agree, but it seems coaches over-offer scholarships with the expectation that some will not be accepted (kind of like airlines over-booking anticipating cancellations/no shows). But it sounds from reading the circulating stories like DD is coordinating getting the kids to commit and suddenly UNC is overbooked...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Initially I was able to say "good for you". Now the smell of rotting fish is over-powering....

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
They still have Sylvia. A nice lady, but a pretty limp sort of coach. Of course, if they get Steponyavich too the wcbb world is in a heap of trouble.

Reaction Score
But it sounds from reading the circulating stories like DD is coordinating getting the kids to commit and suddenly UNC is overbooked...

Now THAT'S a dangerous precedent to set. Who's going to be alpha dog over there - the coach or her star player?

Reaction Score
Geno recruited McDaniel, and maybe offered her a scholarship, so are you now saying she isn't good because she was barely top 25? Geno saw something in her! North Carolina got one elite recruit, one that was said here to be a gamechanger when it was believed she was coming to Uconn. So has that changed now that she is going to NC? Mavunga isn't chopped liver either! North Carolina has done fine! One elite recruit with a nice supporting cast, the same thing Uconn has done. Stewart is your elite, the rest are good supporting players, and will add to the team!

Don't get too caught up in the ranking of a player! That number besides their name doesn't tell you how they will adjust to the collegiate game. For instance, Lewis was number one coming out of high school, and had a nice freshman year, but Williams of Duke won freshman of the year honors, but came out of high school as the number two player. Rankings mean nothing, it's what the player does on the court that counts!

We're not too caught up in rankings. It's just that we figure a #10 under Geno and CD is about equivalent to a #1 most places, especially UNC.

Reaction Score
We're not too caught up in rankings. It's just that we figure a #10 under Geno and CD is about equivalent to a #1 most places, especially UNC.

Sonny - Doubledees is actually Genevadiva from the Summitt. A real hater so don't waste your time being reasonable.

G - your overuse of exclamation points gave you away;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom