Diamond Deshields to UNC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
have to wonder if UNC is really at the top of Mercedes Russell's list now. playing with DD and Mavunga would be a great place for her. i'd love to see her end up there and UNC to challenge Maryland for #2 in the ACC the next few years...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ASGR Brett McCormack reports UNC got Mavunga and Washington today too.

North Carolina hits the jackpot. They get 3 2013 stud commits. Diamond DeShields 6-2 WF Stephanie Mavunga 6-3 PF & Jessica Washington 5-9 PG

wow-1.gif

what.gif

Wow..... Im stunned............. things just got very interesting on Tobacco Road

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
have to wonder if UNC is really at the top of Mercedes Russell's list now. playing with DD and Mavunga would be a great place for her. i'd love to see her end up there and UNC to challenge Maryland for #2 in the ACC the next few years...
Was UNC on Russell's list of 10? If so, I'd make them the betting favorite.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
A bit disappointed that DD isn't coming to UConn and very surprised with her pick. But if she's not coming to Storrs then she isn't the right fit.

Next...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
hopefully we dont our sour grapes get the best of us... yesterday she was in UConn's starting line-up, today she's not all that! (shaking my head)

congrats DD... enjoy your stay at UNC

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not surprised she didn't choose UConn, thought if she was coming would have known before now. I am surprised it was UNC.

Reminds me of when UNC got Erlana Larkins, a free spirit that preferred the wide open non disciplined style of UNC over UConn and other schools. With their haul of recruits, UNC has guaranteed they'll be in the discussion of a program that will compete for National Championships starting next year.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Sylvia must have convinced them that she is really an excellent coach, has just had a run of bad luck and that they can fix it.

Reaction Score
I must say that I too am not shocked. It seems rare that we hear of players getting that much attention from UConn that early and not making the early decision if they have serious interest in UConn at all. Now, it doesn't always mean it ends up working out the best- EDD, Samarie. Davis is still available. That would be a huge coup, but I don't see someone that at one time was committed to the orange making the big leap to National Flag Blue. Our frontline situation allows us to have a less than stellar front line group from the '13 class. McCall would still be great but reloading with Harper and Chong may be best to help bulk up the backcourt.

Agreed!

Reaction Score
Hi Folks,
My first post and unfortunately it's with our top recruit for 2013 going elsewhere. I wish Diamond nothing but the best. I still think that with who we have we are major players in the natty talks for the next four years. People forget that recruiting tends to be cyclical and at best an inexact science. I'm sure we'll get some fine players in this tera,s class though not maybe as highly ranked as last year's. I like the idea of McCall , Chong and Harper for our class. I think this also means that Sierra Calhoun almost certainly comes here. I know all are disappointed but we should not let spitefulness cloud our judgement when we are talking on someone so young as Ms. Deshields.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UNC is certainly adding talent and may not be done. I think they may have some transfers in the earlier classes.

I think Triad may be starting to worry a little. :)

This really hurts Maryland.

Reaction Score
Unbelieveable! I felt it would be UCONN or Maryland, but North Carolina! Diamond wanted to be the best player on the team, now she will be. That wouldn't have happened until at least her senior year at UCONN.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UNC is certainly adding talent and may not be done. I think they may have some transfers in the earlier classes.

I think Triad may be starting to worry a little. :)

This really hurts Maryland.

sad-cat.jpg

Bad day all around........ had a lunch date with a beautiful woman that had to be postponed..... the central air in the house is acting up....... I took a nap... and woke up to this news.

Im afraid to step out of the house now...

Reaction Score
DD's decision shows the risks of a team or its fans getting too invested in a recruit. We have a great team hitting the floor (hopefully not in the same style Tiff showed us during her career) for the next 2 years even if we add no players from 2013. We also have some competition shaping up, which is good for WCBB and always better than a 25 point lead and "game over" by halftime. Life is still good. MJ, MT, and BS will be on campus in 4 weeks!! :D :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not surprised she didn't choose UConn, thought if she was coming would have known before now. I am surprised it was UNC.

Reminds me of when UNC got Erlana Larkins, a free spirit that preferred the wide open non disciplined style of UNC over UConn and other schools. With their haul of recruits, UNC has guaranteed they'll be in the discussion of a program that will compete for National Championships starting next year.
i don't see that at all. they got one truly elite recruit. at this point, they are still behind Maryland in their own league and Duke as well. let's wait and see if they land Russell or Davis and follow it up with a nice class in 2014. i'm not saying that they won't be in top 10, but they were 20-11 last year and failed to make the NCAA's.

They graduated Chegog, Bromfield, and White - their #1,2 and 7 scorers, and White was their starting PG. Their highest rated 2012 recruit is barely in the top 25 (McDaniel). the kids ahead of the great 2013 class is not filled with elite players. in fact, i don't see them even sniffing the top 10 at least until DD et al are sophomores, and possibly juniors. They simply don't have great players ahead of them...

i could see them losing 15+ games this coming year. and missing the NCAA's again. a LOT of rebuilding necessary in Chapel Hill starting with the 2013 class. they are basically starting from scratch.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Obviously there will have to be some transfers or verbals rescinded as UNC will have more then 15 players on scholarship. ACC Recruiting Needs = Link Scroll down to read UNC needs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
sad-cat.jpg

Bad day all around........ had a lunch date with a beautiful woman that had to be postponed..... the central air in the house is acting up....... I took a nap... and woke up to this news.

Im afraid to step out of the house now...
Good luck with the A/C and also rescheduling the lunch date. Good things are worth waiting for. Did you hear that Elizabeth Williams will move right into med school after next season? :). Just kidding.

Reaction Score
Whoa!
Per Hoopgurlz:
@HoopGurlz: Diamond DeShields commits to North Carolina. Visit http://post original url/b8K27iNQ shortly for details.

Surprise!

Reaction Score
Well, if everyone is correct at least she's going to a program which will never be a threat to us.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While I still think UNC will still be 3rd in line in 2013-14 behind Duke and Maryland.... beyond that... they may be a threat. Depends on how Washington develops for them as a point guard. Now if they somehow get Russell... then ... well.... lets not think about that right now :D Its amazing how one strong recruiter can make a difference. Certainly if TSO isnt at UNC, then no way do they get this recruiting class.

Good luck with the A/C and also rescheduling the lunch date. Good things are worth waiting for. Did you hear that Elizabeth Williams will move right into med school after next season? :). Just kidding.

She is definitely worth waiting for :) One good thing about the off-season.... I can actually have some form of a social life on the weekends.......

Reaction Score
Well, if everyone is correct at least she's going to a program which will never be a threat to us.

?

UNC made final fours in 2006 & 2007. During that stretch they gave UConn one its worst beatdown losses ever.
We are well stocked, but the Heels have potential to be a very good team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
hopefully we dont our sour grapes get the best of us... yesterday she was in UConn's starting line-up, today she's not all that! (shaking my head)
So sorry we continue to disappoint you by thinking positively about the team and its chances to land top recruits. Our optimism must be a constant source of annoyance to you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Suggestion for Triad: Don't mention the Boneyard until at least the second date. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom