Diaco. Wow | The Boneyard

Diaco. Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First want to start off by saying I am a Bob Diaco supporter. I also consider myself an optimistic and upbeat person, but compared to HCBD I am a grouch. Was at the signing day event, and his enthusiasm is unmatched by anyone I have ever encountered.

Went with 7 others ( including my son and his friend ). My son and friend were not big fans of HCBD ( for various reasons ). They left loving him and wanting to buy their own season tickets.

Some people may disagree with some of the things he has done or said, but nobody can fault him for the pure enthusiasm for his football program. I think he is the perfect person to coach this team. My hope is that we have continued success and are asked (very soon ) to join a P5 conference. This would give us a better chance of keeping him for an extended period of time.

Reaction Score
Honestly, he makes $1.7m a year, just had the worst recruiting class in the AAC, barely top 100 overall, went 6-6, lost to a C-USA team in bowl, etc.

Not negative, but he has to sell a future in some sense and distract people from the actual results.

Please P5

First want to start off by saying I am a Bob Diaco supporter. I also consider myself an optimistic and upbeat person, but compared to HCBD I am a grouch. Was at the signing day event, and his enthusiasm is unmatched by anyone I have ever encountered.

Went with 7 others ( including my son and his friend ). My son and friend were not big fans of HCBD ( for various reasons ). They left loving him and wanting to buy their own season tickets.

Some people may disagree with some of the things he has done or said, but nobody can fault him for the pure enthusiasm for his football program. I think he is the perfect person to coach this team. My hope is that we have continued success and are asked (very soon ) to join a P5 conference. This would give us a better chance of keeping him for an extended period of time.

Reaction Score
Honestly, he makes $1.7m a year, just had the worst recruiting class in the AAC, barely top 100 overall, went 6-6, lost to a C-USA team in bowl, etc.

Not negative, but he has to sell a future in some sense and distract people from the actual results.

Please P5
Wow! I don't think your response has anything to do with the observations of ucjoet. Bob Diaco is a thoroughly engaging and enthusiastic coach....and individual! Your pessimistic slant on things really has no relevance here.

Reaction Score
I just reviewed the national rankings for our recruiting class and it was pretty brutal assessment. It was embarrassing to see UMass ahead of us in some of these recruiting rankings. I hope a power five invitation come soon because we are not going to be able to recruit while we are in this conference.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Please P5

1) Our recruiting class was not last in the AAC
2) Yeah, we went 6-6, and reached our first bowl game since freakin' 2011

Reaction Score
@JSM1970 @uconntailgater

C'MON boys!!! ... at least save your wet blankets until after the spring game!

I put very little stock in recruiting ratings (a lot of rankings take total number into account and this is a small class for UConn). If you've been following this program for more than 12 months you would know you UConn has been very successful with "poor" recruiting classes under Edsall and you saw the results PP had with our "uptick" in recruiting 2011-2013.

As for the 2015 results, if you're disappointed with the 6 wins + a bowl game given where this program was in 2013-14 then I suggest you head to the WBB board where the sky is always sunny.

Anyone with a clue can see Diaco has us going in the right direction in recruiting, culture, character on-field product and most importantly wins!! I get that not everyone will be happy until we have that 15-0 national championship season but your negativity towards the program in February after our best season in half a decade is exaggerated even by BY standards.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I just reviewed the national rankings for our recruiting class and it was pretty brutal assessment. It was embarrassing to see UMass ahead of us in some of these recruiting rankings. I hope a power five invitation come soon because we are not going to be able to recruit while we are in this conference.
Here is how the lame recruiting system works- each kid gets from no -5 stars. the more kids in a class, the higher the ranking. We had 16 kids, UMASS had 30. SO their class was ranked higher because the cumulative stars were more.
The next level is stars- if you go to Ohio State- you are automatically a 4 or 5 star. There was a 2 star who de-commited from UCONN and went to Ohio State and magically became a 4 star overnight. If you have a bunch of subscribers, you get higher ratings. Hence, Rutgers had a bunch of 3 and 4 stars that magically turned their program into a perennial 6-6 team over the last few years.

Randy Edsall had the worst recruiting classes year in and year out according to the services but magically had 17 kids in the NFL this past year. 2 stars like Kendall Reyes, Tyvon Branch, Darius Butler, Danny Lansanah, Robert McClain and others. Don't be embarassed by what they say, be embarassed by believing what they say.

Reaction Score

Please P5

You are such a needy, ass hat troller. Go back to the CR board and show them what you got.

You and the scouting sites have no idea how many P5 offers our commits got that were not listed because our guys said thanks, but no thanks.

Trolls are the low lifes of the internet. Mom must be proud.

Reaction Score
Nobody really thought we'd go 6-6, he took a program that was one of the worst in the country and got us to a bowl game in his second year. I believe most people thought we'd be lucky to win 3-4 games. We competed hard and had the chance to score not one but two big upsets on the road at BYU and Mizzou. We were the only team in the country to beat Houston who ended up 8th in the final standings (and don't make an excuse about their QB, BOTH teams were playing with their backup QB the majority of the game). We lost a bowl game by one possession to a team that went 10-3 with one of those losses going to triple OT. There was nothing wrong with the results last year. Expecting more out of that team would have been unrealistic, there's zero rationality in criticizing the results last year.

When we had competent coaching we regularly went to bowl games. What were our recruiting rankings back then? Consistently at the bottom of the "Big LEast". The rankings are close to irrelevant, we're not in the SEC.

That 6-6 team was loaded with sophs and juniors. The QB play was average at best and yet it's the best we've seen in years and our starter has 2 more years to improve. We should be bowling again next year, and I believe the results show we have the right man for the job.

Reaction Score
1) Our recruiting class was not last in the AAC
2) Yeah, we went 6-6, and reached our first bowl game since freakin' 2011
Plus:
1) We had a small class this year due to a small senior class,
2) We recruiting a punter and a L/S-so ya Rivals, ESPN, and 24/7 sports wont rank us highly. What those websites don't capture is that those two players are probably top 5 in the country at their position.
3) Q. Skanes was being highly sought after by all BIG and ACC programs, but stayed with UConn
4) Almost all our recruits had other P5 schools chasing after them N. Leone-Nebraska and LSU. T. Herring-Vanderbilt and NC State
5) Rutgers essentially chased after all our recruits once the new head coach from Ohio State came in
6) We recruited EJ Levenberry (from Florida St) and Tre Bell (from Vanderbilt)

I love Diaco

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Diaco has shown that he and his staff have a better eye for evaluating talent than those who make recruiting rankings. I'm not concerned about that.

yeah. what he said.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Who else smiles at this particular highlight?

Reaction Score

That is just not true. Houston crushed it this year. Temple pulled in a nice class and took commits from P5 schools and the player of the year from CT. If we win - like, win the conference 13-1 or 12-2 win, which is not that far out of reach with our conference and schedule, the recruits will come. I think we actually have a better shot a recruiting short-term staying in the conference and winning instead of being Rutgers/Kansas/Indiana/BC in a P5 conference.

Also - the recruiting sites are honestly pretty bad, primarily lazy group think. I would look at player offers/interest and not the ranking.
Lastly, many tweets/articles of P5 schools swooping in to try to steal our recruits. Why would they be doing that if the kids were not good?

Can we get a #1 overall class? No. Can we get into the top 50 while still in the AAC? Absolutely.

Reaction Score
Until we find ourselves in a different situation we'll depend on player development to move the program forward. To the extent HCBD can motivate his RKG's to stick with the process we are better off supporting the positives of his personality and committment. There will be plenty of time to evaluate his growth a gameday coach and the progress of the offense but there's no way I'm prejudging this class as incapable of getting the job done. They get to prove that in the training room and on the field.

Reaction Score
1) Recruiting rankings are stupid. I've been thoroughly impressed with what I've seen from the incoming freshman. I don't care about the number next to the school in February. I care about what I see on the field in October and November. Rankings are almost never a good gauge for that. Dom Amore once told me something about recruiting that I've always found to be true: There is an elite group in each class. In basketball, it's that top 10 or 20, whatever. Maybe a bit larger in football. But after that, it's a crapshoot.
2) Bob Diaco is an incredible salesman. He's done a great job building his team by selling a struggling program that he has an amazing vision for. Soon, we'll see the results of that work.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
That is just not true. Houston crushed it this year. Temple pulled in a nice class and took commits from P5 schools and the player of the year from CT. If we win - like, win the conference 13-1 or 12-2 win, which is not that far out of reach with our conference and schedule, the recruits will come. I think we actually have a better shot a recruiting short-term staying in the conference and winning instead of being Rutgers/Kansas/Indiana/BC in a P5 conference.

Also - the recruiting sites are honestly pretty bad, primarily lazy group think. I would look at player offers/interest and not the ranking.
Lastly, many tweets/articles of P5 schools swooping in to try to steal our recruits. Why would they be doing that if the kids were not good?

Can we get a #1 overall class? No. Can we get into the top 50 while still in the AAC? Absolutely.

Houston crushed it and still lost their number two recruit to Florida on signing day. They are coming off a top 10 ranking and a huge bowl win. They also have a great area to recruit from which UConn doesn't on the same scale at least.
Temple one a big recruiting war from a local school and again coming off a very big year.

UConn filled needs and went up against teams in the P5 and won some battles. Not bad for a team that had a 6-7 season after four losing season's in a row. If you follow just the rankings you would know that FHCPP had higher rated classes and yet what did he do with them? He is now coaching defensive line in the Pro's.

As Head Coach Bob Diaco would say, we don't need no energy vampires.

Reaction Score
Houston crushed it and still lost their number two recruit to Florida on signing day. They are coming off a top 10 ranking and a huge bowl win. They also have a great area to recruit from which UConn doesn't on the same scale at least.
Temple one a big recruiting war from a local school and again coming off a very big year.

UConn filled needs and went up against teams in the P5 and won some battles. Not bad for a team that had a 6-7 season after four losing season's in a row. If you follow just the rankings you would know that FHCPP had higher rated classes and yet what did he do with them? He is now coaching defensive line in the Pro's.

As Head Coach Bob Diaco would say, we don't need no energy vampires.

FCHPP is coaching J.J. Watt and Vince Wilfork. Totally irrelevant to this thread, but it hurts my head.

Agree with this. UConn did what it needed to do. I think the most important thing is it didn't lose recruits between the time of their verbals and NSD. Great job by the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom