Diaco Truly Starting from Scratch | The Boneyard

Diaco Truly Starting from Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all those confused by HCBD's choices in personnel this year I think its quite simple to see Diaco's grand master plan. His planning being that he is actually revamping this program from the ground up, and by the ground I mean back to when the program joined D1 in 2000. It makes sense that Diaco is playing the younger, inexperienced guys for 2 very simple reasons.

1. Recruits will see still developing players whom when they compare themselves may look and simply say "I could make that play or i can compete with that guy" His main point in recruiting is telling guys he believes they can come in and start right away, they begin to believe it when they see an offense putting up 3 Pts against Tulane and think they can be a difference.

and

2. It develops the younger guys, gives them REAL GAME experience, promotes more competition in practice and drives guys to work harder on the field, in the weight room and outside of football.

All who have no faith in HCBD or question his tactics, be patient. It's going to take time to fix all the wrongdoings of the last 4 years since Edsall left

Reaction Score
#benchgeremydavis

#nfldraftpick

#philsimmswonderswhydiacodidnotusehimmoreatuconnduringannfltelecastin2015

Reaction Score
You coach and play to win. Player development and trying to win are not either/or propositions. Playing vanilla on offense is a self fulfilling action, makes everything so much harder to do on offense. The wildcat of 2 years ago, all the defenses knew to run blitz as QB could not pass and was not elusive runner. Can't have no passes over the middle until game out of reach as in this year. Line up tight offense and run is recipe for 3 and out with the way defenses are playing UConn. Why have TE's on field if they aren't good blockers and never throw them the ball?

Reaction Score
I am reading "Shock the World" by Peter Burns. Part 1 is called building a program from scratch. Page 27 "UConn was so bad in the 1986-1987 season that Calhoun recommended that each player hand, not pass, the ball to the next player to avoid turnovers. His strategy was to hang on for 35 minutes and try to win in the end."

None of us like the position the 2014 Football Huskies are in, but the reality is that we are in a similar position on offense to the 86-87 hoops team. If passing in the rain is going to lose you the game, shut it down.

The message from both coaches, delivered in drastically different styles, is the same; things are really that bad, and when we work to improve you know where we are starting from.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
#benchgeremydavis

#nfldraftpick

#philsimmswonderswhydiacodidnotusehimmoreatuconnduringannfltelecastin2015

Did he (Simms) really? Or did I miss a joke from another thread?

Reaction Score
its all smoke and mirrors

these dudes bought it

reality:this regime can only score off d in theory

reality: resultant first down punts are in the offing

dig it

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For all those confused by HCBD's choices in personnel this year I think its quite simple to see Diaco's grand master plan. His planning being that he is actually revamping this program from the ground up, and by the ground I mean back to when the program joined D1 in 2000. It makes sense that Diaco is playing the younger, inexperienced guys for 2 very simple reasons.

1. Recruits will see still developing players whom when they compare themselves may look and simply say "I could make that play or i can compete with that guy" His main point in recruiting is telling guys he believes they can come in and start right away, they begin to believe it when they see an offense putting up 3 Pts against Tulane and think they can be a difference.

and

2. It develops the younger guys, gives them REAL GAME experience, promotes more competition in practice and drives guys to work harder on the field, in the weight room and outside of football.

All who have no faith in HCBD or question his tactics, be patient. It's going to take time to fix all the wrongdoings of the last 4 years since Edsall left

Diaco doesn't bother nearly as much as moronic posters lecturing me to be patient.

Reaction Score
I am reading "Shock the World" by Peter Burns. Part 1 is called building a program from scratch. Page 27 "UConn was so bad in the 1986-1987 season that Calhoun recommended that each player hand, not pass, the ball to the next player to avoid turnovers. His strategy was to hang on for 35 minutes and try to win in the end."

None of us like the position the 2014 Football Huskies are in, but the reality is that we are in a similar position on offense to the 86-87 hoops team. If passing in the rain is going to lose you the game, shut it down.

The message from both coaches, delivered in drastically different styles, is the same; things are really that bad, and when we work to improve you know where we are starting from.

Looking fwd to when we can bring this Drake song back to life once we get here:

Reaction Score
I still believe in Diaco and knew he would have a difficult slow process to bring the program to where he wants them and the fans want them.

The football program was dysfunctional and had to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. It was the only way to do it correctly and that is what Diaco is doing. The results in the short term will be harsh but the long term future will be fruitful.

Being an Orioles fan I saw this process with then and see many similarities with the direction of the football team. The Orioles had a dysfunctional organization from the top to the bottom specifically with ignoring their farm system and player development while focusing on stop gaps. Andy McPhail started the rejuvenation and once Buck was hired He led the turn around and it all started with a complete overhaul of all coaches, scouts, management and a new philosophy and beginning. He said it would take time and to be patient. The team bought in to the philosophy and the last 15 years if futility before Buck are history.

Diaco is doing the same thing. He has the people he trusts in position and a new philosophy for the program. It's going to take all year for the players to adjust and buy in. He has better scouting and recruiters (in his opinion which I trust) than in past regimes and better personal for player development. He's rebuilding the entire culture and program and instilling a new attitude and philosophy that will take time and hopefully become contagious and stick for years to come.

Once he has the players that fit his schemes, gamelan and philosophy the results will come. The past regime didn't leave much for him to work with on the OL. Not much you can do when the cupboard is bare

Reaction Score
One of the first things Edsall wanted to do was redshirt freshmen and start building long-term depth. Plus, trailers.

I will always like a post that mentions trailers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't wait until we win a few games and we can finally be done with these whiny posts.

What's the difference between Chicken Little and a UConn Football Fan? One is a paranoid, neurotic that believes that disaster is imminent and the other is a flightless bird that tastes good when fried.

Reaction Score
Player development and playing to win is not an either/or sort of deal.

As much as I want to believe that there is a grand master plan, there is always a possibility that the grand master plan sucks too. Let's hope it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom