Diaco: "Shirreffs is ahead of Boyle now." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco: "Shirreffs is ahead of Boyle now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would agree but the fact that BD is recruiting duel threat QBs leads me to believe that Boyle isn't his prototype. I don't know how much the coaches will work on developing a QB that might not be the right QB for their offense.

I think Boyle has had really bad luck with the coaching, bad offensive lines and injuries. I don't agree with comments that he isn't a D1 QB. I think with a red shirt year, stable and good coaches, and no injuries, he would be a very solid pro style d1 QB right now. But...that didn't happen and his development has been stunted and he actually regressed last year.

With confidence he could be good here. I just don't know if his style is what BD wants for his offense.

I do agree, I don't think Boyle is BD's ideal QB. But, Really?? You must be kidding about the bolded part. They are trying to create depth, next man up mindset/ talent level. They are trying to develop every single one of these kids to reach their max potential. If #1 goes down, #2 needs to be just as good so there is no drop off in performance. To think otherwise is just not smart.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I do agree, I don't think Boyle is BD's ideal QB. But, Really?? You must be kidding about the bolded part. They are trying to create depth, next man up mindset/ talent level. They are trying to develop every single one of these kids to reach their max potential. If #1 goes down, #2 needs to be just as good so there is no drop off in performance. To think otherwise is just not smart.

Not smart is a bit harsh.

I was responding to FCF who believes that TB is who the coaches believe is their best QB. My point is that TB is not the style QB for their preferred offense therefore I don't think they have a long term plan to make TB "the man". Of course they will continue to develop him to make him the best he can be and prepare him for game action. But I don't think he will be the focus.

Sorry my opinion didn't meet your intelligence expectations.

Reaction Score
Not smart is a bit harsh.

Sorry my opinion didn't meet your intelligence expectations.

Not the point at all. Would be unwise of ANY coach to neglect the development of any player on its roster, most notably the back up QB. All it takes is one hit.

Reaction Score
Not the point at all. Would be unwise of ANY coach to neglect the development of any player on its roster, most notably the back up QB. All it takes is one hit.
He won't even be #2 come Sept. Forget Boyle. He's the past.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There is a fourth QB coming in...

Right you are, and thankfully so. Slipped my mind on account of him not being involved in today's festivities.

Reaction Score
If anyone attended that game today and STILL thinks Boyle has more upside than other quarterbacks on the roster I have no idea what they were watching.
Was it that bad today?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was it that bad today?

He wasn't THAT bad. But, he was completely outplayed by BS who is the same age. 2+ years in and he's never played any better than the first quarter of the USF game.

The upside was a mirage. There is a hell of a lot more to playing quarterback than how the ball looks when you throw it.

Never say never I guess - but I'd be completely shocked if he is the back-up when Nova comes to town.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
He wasn't THAT bad. But, he was completely outplayed by BS who is the same age. 2+ years in and he's never played any better than the first quarter of the USF game.

I did not see a big difference between the two QB's.

First Quarter was zero-zero with a bunch of tipped passes, dropped passes & dump-offs. The only TD in the 1st half was blown coverage by the D. Boyle was playing with a talent disadvantage for most of the day.

Both the O line & both QB's were an improvement over last year. Neither QB was overly impressive, but both made some nice throws which gave me hope.

The competition is not over. Both have room to grow.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

The upside was a mirage. There is a hell of a lot more to playing quarterback than how the ball looks when you throw it.

Never say never I guess - but I'd be completely shocked if he is the back-up when Nova comes to town.

Again not sure what you saw. He played with the second team offense and made every throw, unlike Bryant who had issues throwing to the outside. I will say Bryant can run and is the most mobile quarterback since Tyler Lorenzen and faster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Again not sure what you saw. He played with the second team offense and made every throw, unlike Bryant who had issues throwing to the outside. I will say Bryant can run and is the most mobile quarterback since Tyler Lorenzen and faster.

He made every throw into coverage. Just like the last two years. 1:11: Not an accident.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He made every throw into coverage. Just like the last two years. 1:11: Not an accident.

The video I took doesn't concur with that, but than again everyone see's something different. All that matters is what the coaching staff thinks. I will add that I wasn't the only one thinking Boyle looked good it was others around me as well. Remember first team offense against second team defense is different than the other way around. Boyle moved the team well with the first team offense on his last drive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The video I took doesn't concur with that, but than again everyone see's something different. All that matters is what the coaching staff thinks. I will add that I wasn't the only one thinking Boyle looked good it was others around me as well. Remember first team offense against second team defense is different than the other way around. Boyle moved the team well with the first team offense on his last drive.

Boyle led drives for a total of 6 points. One of the drives scored three because he underthrew the WR so badly there was PI.

Maybe you can play well in a spring game as a QB and not actually score a TD - but every other program in the country doesn't exist in that world.

Reaction Score
This is the problem with having local kid in a high profile position. Diaco has to keep saying nice things as he goes out recruiting 3 guys to replace him. It has been particularly evident with Boyle but ends all got caught in the same trap with Hernandez when it was clear he couldn't get it done.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Boyle led drives for a total of 6 points. One of the drives scored three because he underthrew the WR so badly there was PI.

Maybe you can play well in a spring game as a QB and not actually score a TD - but every other program in the country doesn't exist in that world.

The ball was underthrown largely because it was thrown into a very strong wind. The WR had 1 on 1 coverage beaten & Boyle put it out there for the WR to make a play. Maybe it could have been thrown earlier, but it was not short because of lack of arm strength.

Boyle had the Blue O on the move. Then the OC decided to run the ball twice for a loss. On 3rd down he had a 3 receiver route & everyone was covered. I would have like to see Boyle given 3 shots at the endzone at that time. He, the team & fans need to start expecting TD's when we get that close. The ball was moving through the air on that drive - not on the ground.

Reaction Score
This team is not going anyplace with Boyle running the show. I don't know if it will be any place with Shirrefs but Nothing yesterday makes me feel any different about Boyle. He's got all the measurable but something is missing.

Reaction Score
Coach Speak... They are all the same.;)

Boston College coach Steve Addazio names starting QB... sort of

>>Addazio, who is entering his third season with the program, said on Wednesday’s ACC teleconference that Darius Wade emerged from spring practice atop the depth chart, but that’s not set in stone.

“You’re always going to let competition continue,” Addazio said, per the Boston Globe. “I never close the door on anything, on any position. But certainly coming out of the spring, Darius was the starter coming out of the spring.”

Wade, a 6-foot, 201-pound sophomore from Middletown, Del., will continue to compete with sophomore Troy Flutie (the nephew of BC great Doug Flutie) and true freshman Elijah Robinson during preseason camp. But for now, Wade is the top dog.<<

Reaction Score
Coach Speak... They are all the same.;)

Boston College coach Steve Addazio names starting QB... sort of

>>Addazio, who is entering his third season with the program, said on Wednesday’s ACC teleconference that Darius Wade emerged from spring practice atop the depth chart, but that’s not set in stone.

“You’re always going to let competition continue,” Addazio said, per the Boston Globe. “I never close the door on anything, on any position. But certainly coming out of the spring, Darius was the starter coming out of the spring.”

Wade, a 6-foot, 201-pound sophomore from Middletown, Del., will continue to compete with sophomore Troy Flutie (the nephew of BC great Doug Flutie) and true freshman Elijah Robinson during preseason camp. But for now, Wade is the top dog.<<

This is the view point I have always taken. It makes no sense for a coach to say otherwise. You want the kids to continue to push each other at each and every position. Who knows what could happen. As we have heard in the past, it has to be next man up. Just listen to Geno talk about his roster and what he looks for.

Reaction Score
I agree it's mostly coach speak. But quarterback is different from any other position. You need your #1 to be accepted as your offensive leader in a way no other position is. If something bad happens to him it's next man up, sure but UConn desperately needs someone to be the Guy and forget about the backups until they are needed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't care if they say the job is open to everyone, I just want the vast majority of practice snaps allocated to a designated guy.

Reaction Score
I don't care if they say the job is open to everyone, I just want the vast majority of practice snaps allocated to a designated guy.

I think that's what will happen. I think it's Shireffs' job to lose, with the message being "don't slack-off or let down or regain the lost twenty-pounds." There should never be coronations on a two-win team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom