Diaco recruited all kinds of size over the last 2 years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco recruited all kinds of size over the last 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They still need someone that can throw the ball downfield with some accuracy and I didn't see that in Sherrifs or Williams. Lashlee can improve that though.

Reaction Score
I heard from someone who has some connection with the athletic department over the holidays that Williams is much more talented than he showed and lots of people including Verducci were pretty upset that he was used the way he was when he was really unprepared. So maybe we will see something

Reaction Score
To be clear, I was not trying to make a prediction. I was trying to make the point that this was a somewhat unique situation for a rebuild in that (if we have a QB) we have a senior laden squad, with experience, where it may be much, much easier for a coach to win in year 1 than it will be to win in years 2 and 3.

This. It is unfair to predict an experienced team that has been a victim of unarguable coaching malpractice to suck. They have some good, veteran players and with coaching and game planning, they can be better than a total rebuild. Once those guys leave, who knows?

With a decent QB the potential is there to qualify for a bowl or a little better. I think we should support the expectation that they can be good, fill the seats and get this regime off on the right foot. I'll be happy, both if they are surprisingly good and if they show lots of improvement and only win a few games. However, last year, with awful coaching, bad luck, no punt returns and no offensive game plan, we won 3 games. Anyone expecting this staff to win 3 games this season is setting the bar too low. We need to get some excitement going to sell tickets. Biz is right, the following couple of years could be tough, but don't sell these guys too short. Rally around them and stay positive. I really want to see an excited and mostly full stadium to welcome this staff and team back on opening day. That will never happen if word on the street is, "it will take a few years".

Reaction Score
DMVStream.com Football Player of the Year Award (MAC) 12/14/16 |

Threw for 1300+ and 19 TDs
Ran for 2200+ and 27TDs
Led team to 12-0 record.
Offer from Navy.

I'll gladly take him, but he's probably not the answer for next year.

I think this is where Edsall and Diaco differed on recruiting. Edsall will grab a good athlete that happens to be a HS QB and convert him to a WR or DB. Edsall seemed to focus more on athleticism, but Diaco focused more on size.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Remember, Edsall won 6 games with 65 FCS caliber recruits in a season played mostly on the road. The guy can coach.

We'll see if he ever gets to a more elite level, but I do not ever expect a season of getting blown out consistently like we did this past year.

Reaction Score
I think this is where Edsall and Diaco differed on recruiting. Edsall will grab a good athlete that happens to be a HS QB and convert him to a WR or DB. Edsall seemed to focus more on athleticism, but Diaco focused more on size.
So you're saying, Edsall looks at the total package to see where they fit. Where as, Bob Diaco looked at the "size of the package" and hoped it would fit??? So, Bob likes big ones??? ;)

Reaction Score
And now we get Randy fn Edsall to develop it. Diaco wasn't making anyone better, but we should all be able to agree that Edsall's biggest strength was developing players. Exciting times folks. I don't think 7 wins is out of the question for next year.
44056222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger