Diaco: QB Job Up For Grabs Between Shirreffs, Anderson; UConn 4th In AAC East Poll | The Boneyard

Diaco: QB Job Up For Grabs Between Shirreffs, Anderson; UConn 4th In AAC East Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Diaco: QB Job Up For Grabs Between Shirreffs, Anderson; UConn 4th In AAC East Poll

I was surprised to see that Shireffs and Anderson are in competition. QB competition at UConn usually means no one is good enough to establish themselves the starter, but reading this gives me confidence. It sounds like these guys understand the system, and are physically prepared to execute in games. I can't wait to see the results on the field!

Reaction Score
A bit OT but I wanted to share this. IF this doesn't tell you the kind of man Bob Diaco is for his players I don't know what else will.

Jazzmar Jazzo Clax at Rentschler Field, East Hartford Ct.
5 mins · Instagram ·

Love you Bob Diaco thank you for letting me kno either way I'm special with football or without it we had so many positives convos and shared a deep love but it's ok coach just get my that notre dame offer so next season I can come back and finish the years off and get into the next draft like we talked about so I can keep playing with or against my fellow huskys ‪#‎bleedblue‬‪#‎bobdiaco2016‬ ‪#‎bobdiacolovesyou‬ ‪#‎bobdiacoforpresident‬

This from former player Jazzmar Claxx.

In Diaco We Trust!

Reaction Score

I was surprised to see that Shireffs and Anderson are in competition. QB competition at UConn usually means no one is good enough to establish themselves the starter, but reading this gives me confidence. It sounds like these guys understand the system, and are physically prepared to execute in games. I can't wait to see the results on the field!

Ugh. I'll take your conclusion. I hear that and worry that Shirreffs isn't the same after the hit he took in the Houston game.

Reaction Score
A bit OT but I wanted to share this. IF this doesn't tell you the kind of man Bob Diaco is for his players I don't know what else will.

Jazzmar Jazzo Clax at Rentschler Field, East Hartford Ct.
5 mins · Instagram ·

Love you Bob Diaco thank you for letting me kno either way I'm special with football or without it we had so many positives convos and shared a deep love but it's ok coach just get my that notre dame offer so next season I can come back and finish the years off and get into the next draft like we talked about so I can keep playing with or against my fellow huskys ‪#‎bleedblue‬‪#‎bobdiaco2016‬ ‪#‎bobdiacolovesyou‬ ‪#‎bobdiacoforpresident‬

This from former player Jazzmar Claxx.

In Diaco We Trust!
Could you please translate this for me!

Reaction Score
If it was a competition between Shirreffs and Davis (or even Williams) I wouldn't be as worried as I am now.

Reaction Score
I don't think I'd read too much into it. Sounds like he's confident in both of their abilities and wants to see the guys compete for a few weeks. He also said BS is healthier than ever. Nothing to see here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember roughly a year ago (prior to summer practice) a handful of posters were speculating whether Tyler Davis should forego a redshirt year as evidently he was already the guy who should be starting.

While I realize how unrealistic it is, I hope situations such as the one addressed in this article will lead our fans to wait until they actually see someone compete at this level before anointing him a starter.

Reaction Score
I remember roughly a year ago (prior to summer practice) a handful of posters were speculating whether Tyler Davis should forego a redshirt year as evidently he was already the guy who should be starting.

While I realize how unrealistic it is, I hope situations such as the one addressed in this article will lead our fans to wait until they actually see someone compete at this level before anointing him a starter.

Agreed. Every kid is different. Some are ready to produce right away and some aren't. To the extremes you have kids who looked the part all throughout their careers and they get up a level and struggle (seen frequently in baseball as AAAA guys) and on the other end you have people that produce at a high level through every level.

Reaction Score
Ugh. I'll take your conclusion. I hear that and worry that Shirreffs isn't the same after the hit he took in the Houston game.
About Anderson BD said: "His next step is to focus on quarterbacking our offense at UConn and not trying to jam the ball in there with his arm or his leg if it's opposite of what we need. The person who takes that next step the fastest is who will get an opportunity to play more"

I think both are going to play. Like it or not, seems as if that's inevitable unless one really separates.

About Bryant BD said: ""He's bigger faster, stronger and healthier than he's ever been, physically and mentally, but the biggest thing is that Bryant [is becoming] a seasoned, trained quarterback,"

I don't think Bob says that if it's the exact opposite and he's still injured.

Reaction Score
It sounded more like a comment about how there's always competition, and that you better be ready to play or someone could take your spot, than a true QB competition.

Reaction Score
If we've learned anything about BD's MO since he's been here is that more often than not there is a message embedded in there for a desired party.

In Diaco and staff's desire to have a Dynamic and the most productive camp he is sending a message that no position is a lock including QB. The staff wants to keep everyone hungry and hostile. Also we have a much improved, deep O line, running game (Newsome and Johnson are going to be exciting to watch!) and a bevy of great receivers led by Thomas, Beals, Mayala and Lemele along with a couple of 6'5"ers in McLean and Battle. We should do MUCH better in the red zone this season. With more depth and talent than we've had in years and since Anderson has wheels, maturity, playbook knowledge and a better arm, why not give him consideration!
This should be a very exciting season for all of us who have suffered through apathy and mediocrity for the past 5 years!

Reaction Score

I wouldn't read anything into this. Lot's of coaches say every job is always open. And if he just handed the job to Shireiff's, how would that effect the other QBs especially Anderson?

Reaction Score
let's be honest for a second here...do any of us on here that follow this team think that Bryant Sherrifs actually played well enough last yer to leave without a reasonable doubt that he was far and away the clear cut starter? I thought that Bryant's performance at the position was one we had not seen in a long time...but I also thought there was a LOT of room for improvement. It's not like this offense racked up 30 plus points per game. It will be interesting to see how he performs in camp. To see of he makes the same mistakes he made last season or if he has grown and progressed to the next level.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
let's be honest for a second here...do any of us on here that follow this team think that Bryant Sherrifs actually played well enough last yer to leave without a reasonable doubt that he was far and away the clear cut starter? I thought that Bryant's performance at the position was one we had not seen in a long time...but I also thought there was a LOT of room for improvement. It's not like this offense racked up 30 plus points per game. It will be interesting to see how he performs in camp. To see of he makes the same mistakes he made last season or if he has grown and progressed to the next level.

True, but let's not forget that GA was a third string qb behind Boyle last year. If he was worse than Boyle, what are the chances that he'd be better than Shireffs this year? That'd be a pretty dramatic progression. I have the feeling this is much more motivational than anything else

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why is this surprising? I'd be shocked if nobody could give BS a run for the job, he's not that great.

Reaction Score
BS is improving. He's healthier than anytime last year. He'll have a better O line--a better O system and --very importantly--the knowledge that victory is to be expected--not waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm clearing my schedule for Dec 3rd.

Reaction Score
BS is the best QB on the roster. He's serviceable to good, seems like a great kid and very competitive. That said, we need depth and it appears that Davis is not there yet. So, Diaco is getting Anderson ready and putting some competitive heat on BS. Makes perfect sense.

I assume Anderson is an athletic kid as well and I wonder if we don't see him in spots to run which might also preserve BS a bit. Just speculation.

I suspect UCONN is in the market for a QB transfer or JUCO. I just don't see the depth we need unless Davis and Williams or one of walk-ons really start coming on.

Reaction Score
True, but let's not forget that GA was a third string qb behind Boyle last year. If he was worse than Boyle, what are the chances that he'd be better than Shireffs this year? That'd be a pretty dramatic progression. I have the feeling this is much more motivational than anything else
I'm not forgetting anything...I'm just saying that Sherifs didn't exactly light the world on fire last year as a QB. Don't get me wrong..I like him a lot, and I think he will be better this year because of the guys protecting him. I'm just saying he isn't a guy like DeShaun Watson that's all

Reaction Score
I'm not forgetting anything...I'm just saying that Sherifs didn't exactly light the world on fire last year as a QB. Don't get me wrong..I like him a lot, and I think he will be better this year because of the guys protecting him. I'm just saying he isn't a guy like DeShaun Watson that's all
True, and I really like shirreffs so maybe I'm not being objective, but I think he's the best option we've had in years. Not only that, but his toughness makes him the teams leader. His poor decisions throwing the ball were more a product of the O line than any skill deficit for BS IMO

Reaction Score
Coach speak plain and simple. Unless he is injured Sherriffs takes the opening snap vs Maine and the vast majority of others over the season. Heck I remember Edsall saying that Orlovsky wasn't guaranteed to be the starter as a senior.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Ok, so what about that statement that Jazz Clax made about Diaco? Is Clax like transfering to Notre Dame or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom