Diaco livid post-game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Diaco livid post-game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I'm Diaco, I:
bench Levy (just terrible OL pass blocker),
demote ADams from Captain (can't be a leader and make behaviors mistakes that cause the team to lose)
bench Stewart - perpetually out of position
Find new punter returner and disallow another fair catch all season
Sit - Max - missed pass block pickups, Johnson for sleep walking

And tell rest of the Oline if the miss another assignment they will be pulled and riding the pine. Every o-lineman needs to protect BS like his life depended on it. I'd rather see holding than the QB get hit.
Thank god you're not Diaco.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He already did. If you didn't notice, #27 Nick Vitale was our punt returner last night.

He didn't think any of our scholarship players were worthy? Interesting.

Reaction Score
He didn't think any of our scholarship players were worthy? Interesting.
Vitale is considered a fearless returner. His Dad told me at the Mizzou game that he was being wasted. We'll now have a chance to see. I never saw him in high school but was told he was "player of the year." Is that right?

Reaction Score
Vitale is considered a fearless returner. His Dad told me at the Mizzou game that he was being wasted. We'll now have a chance to see. I never saw him in high school but was told he was "player of the year." Is that right?

He played w/ Walsh @ Hand (think he was a a year ahead). I know he made All State team -- was regional shoreline paper Offensive Player of the Year. Quick...

Reaction Score
If Oak and Rutherford are the future, why aren't they starting now? Hopkins is a sophomore. Samra needs to be replaced and right now, Rutherford is a tackle, not a guard. SO, who replaces him? I think Crozier goes to his spot.
I think you see Crozier back to center and Vechery/Hopkins at guard next yr

Reaction Score
If I'm Diaco, I:
bench Levy (a troubled OL pass blocker),
demote ADams from Captain (can't be a leader and make behaviors mistakes that cause the team to lose)
maybe sub for Stewart against passing teams on passing downs
Yes Max missed several pass block pickups, but we need a short yard package with Max going N/S to pick up 1 or 2 yards for a first down.
Get some more burn from Stapelton

t.

fixed it for you

Reaction Score
Which of the younger guys?
Been covered- definitely Oak, maybe Rurherford. I don't know what "ready" means when we have guys like Levy getting absolutely smoked and missing assignments. He's not the only one. I don't understand the tolerance for Max. You just can't let rushers get to the QB unabated. It's like job 1 ...get a body on someone. Inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Thank god you're not Diaco.
Yes, we should make no adjustments. That works so well. Behavioral changes requires consequences. Calhoun was a master of instant negative feedback when mistakes were made.

Reaction Score
I think diaco has shown something. you just refuse to look at it.
if you can't see the difference between PP and BD, then maybe your last name is either Pasqualoni or Hathaway. at one point, you want to suggest it all comes down to wins. but then you suggest that diaco "barely beat Army and Nova". But he did beat them. so which is it? Again, I think you have your perspective, and no matter what happens, you'll continue to say "show me something"...

I liked the PP hire on paper. CT guy, NFL experience, and had college success. hindsight, wrong hire, wrong time, and simply the wrong coach for this program.
NEVER under PP's watch did this team move forward on any level. for three years, this team got worse in almost every category. I could be wrong, but I don't think PP ever won two games in a row (in almost 3 seasons)... Weist came in and won 3 to wrap up the season. Sure, P almost beat Michigan, and that may have saved him, but he didn't win.
In less than two years, Diaco has this team competing and believing. you can see the improvement on the field. you just need to look.

PP's downfall was GDL... period. If we had a really good O-Line and a better OC than GDL ( Weist?) than he probably could of still been here. We had one of the best D. Coordinator in the country in Don Brown. I don't see how we couldn't have turn things around with a great O-Line and a better OC than GDL. PP also brought in really good recruiting class. Sticking with GDL for too long screwed him big time.

Reaction Score
...who would be your two deep if you had your way?

Rutherford played as a true freshman and we kept hearing how good Oak was last year. I just think some of these guys have been starting for a while now and haven't shown much so maybe give another guy a chance.

Reaction Score
We have some younger guys that need to get inserted. There has to be consequences for missing assignments.

Which of the younger guys?

Been covered- definitely Oak, maybe Rurherford. I don't know what "ready" means when we have guys like Levy getting absolutely smoked and missing assignments. .

Rutherford played as a true freshman and we kept hearing how good Oak was last year. I just think some of these guys have been starting for a while now and haven't shown much so maybe give another guy a chance.

Here's current two deep -- Not all are able to be mixed and matched at positions (and injury depth must be considered - i.e. Oak).

LT 71 Richard Levy (RJr., 6-6, 312)
65 Matt Peart (Fr., 6-7, 263)

LG: 62 Tommy Hopkins (RSo., 6-6, 309)
73 Steve Hashemi (So., 6-6, 286)

C: 72 Brendan Vechery (RSo., 6-6, 302)
75 Dan Oak (RFr., 6-3, 292)

RG: 60 Tyler Samra (Sr., 6-2, 301) 70
Kyle Bockeloh (RJr., 6-3, 295)

RT: 53 Andreas Knappe (RJr., 6-8, 311)
77 Trey Rutherford (So., 6-5, 300)

"Others Available" - Gifford (RS Sr), Schafenacker (RS So), Nwokeji (RS Sr), Tabor (Fr), Cespedes (Fr), Rugg (RS Jr). Crozer (So) out injured.

Not that easy...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's current two deep -- Not all are able to be mixed and matched match at positions (and injury depth must be considered - i.e. Oak).

LT 71 Richard Levy (RJr., 6-6, 312)
65 Matt Peart (Fr., 6-7, 263)

LG: 62 Tommy Hopkins (RSo., 6-6, 309)
73 Steve Hashemi (So., 6-6, 286)

C: 72 Brendan Vechery (RSo., 6-6, 302)
75 Dan Oak (RFr., 6-3, 292)

RG: 60 Tyler Samra (Sr., 6-2, 301) 70
Kyle Bockeloh (RJr., 6-3, 295)

RT: 53 Andreas Knappe (RJr., 6-8, 311)
77 Trey Rutherford (So., 6-5, 300)

"Others Available" - Gifford (RS Sr), Schafenacker (RS So), Nwokeji (RS Sr), Tabor (Fr), Cespedes (Fr), Rugg (RS Jr) and Crozer (So) Injured

Not that easy...

A lot of these O-Linemen were projects coming out of high school. Then we wonder why we've been struggling at that position for years. We NEED impact, high profile O-Line out of high school or transfers. I know it's easier said than done, but we're in desperate need of impact, high profile O-Linemen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes we did hear how good Oak was last year. Eleven months ago Diaco went so far as to imply that the only reason he wasn't our starting center then was that we had a fifth year senior, three year starter ahead of him. I personally believe that this was merely coach speak, similar to what we have been hearing about Peart recently (and before anyone starts blasting Diaco for this, look back at what Jim Calhoun said about Justin Brown). These kids can (and hopefully will) become very good offensive linemen but I think it will be a stretch for Rutherford, Crozier, Oak or Peart to become very good before late 2016 - early 2017 at the earliest.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I used to think GDL was the problem and how the zone blocking scheme was the wrong fit. But Foley was around and couldn't get them much better when GDL left. Now Diaco has someone else there and I am not sure they are any better. After a while, it is not the coaching but the recruiting. After injuries, players leaving, etc, we have not replenished the OLINE talent. Also, certain guys seem to have regressed - Gifford went from starter to 3rd string and Schafenacker, who was supposedly a big recruit, has been bypassed.

Reaction Score
I used to think GDL was the problem and how the zone blocking scheme was the wrong fit. But Foley was around and couldn't get them much better when GDL left. Now Diaco has someone else there and I am not sure they are any better. After a while, it is not the coaching but the recruiting. After injuries, players leaving, etc, we have not replenished the OLINE talent. Also, certain guys seem to have regressed - Gifford went from starter to 3rd string and Schafenacker, who was supposedly a big recruit, has been bypassed.
You don't think a starter getting pushed to 3 deep has anything to do with better players coming in?

Reaction Score
Yes, we should make no adjustments. That works so well. Behavioral changes requires consequences. Calhoun was a master of instant negative feedback when mistakes were made.
If our line is this bad now, how will benching them in favor of guys who couldn't beat them out in training camp be a better idea? The only one that makes some sense is Samra, who's a senior and hasn't shown much of anything. Wouldn't be opposed to a switch there.

Our punt returner has nothing to do with the ineffectiveness if you pay attention. Half the return team stands in the middle of the field with their thumbs up their a$$es while the coverage team surrounds the returner. Not sure if it's scheme or personnel, but it needs to be fixed and I don't think it matters who is returning until it improves.

And you can't bench half the backfield with how much we run the ball. They need to be better, but making them ride the bench and only using Newsome (who has also been terrible in pass block) will not solve the problem.

Reaction Score
When your only playing guys on a 200 level your set-up for failure. Bad teams find ways to lose every time. Enough with this bowl talk already, how bout looking competent in all facets of the game once. That's all I want!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hate when coaches trash players in the post game. Honest assessments are ok, but tone matters.

Reaction Score
But let's get real. We did not dominate the game and piss it away.

If you want to get real then here's the reality. While we didn't dominate the game statistics we did indeed piss it away.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
BD looked like he was sporting a 10 pm shadow. Maybe it was evil BD or someone fed him after midnight. We had no business being within 20 let alone leading in the third quarter. There were so many things wrong. It started with the protection and the off coverage. Williams got abused all night and Stewart went back to zone covering no one in particular. But the game turned on the obvious on side kick attempt. You could see Tarbutt scanning the front line of BYU looking for a target spot tipping the play. BYU botched the hands play. Nearly all of our success was a direct result of BYU mistakes.

The three things that did look good were the inside run defense, the deep coverage (non-williams division), and Newsome. Sherriffs may be getting close to Whitmer level PTSD. It looks like it is affecting his play and decision making. I don't think he has any idea how much time he is going to have.

Homework for the week is to figure out a counter play for the blitz.
Here's a counter play. Maybe block the guys in the other uniforms running by you. Ugh. Whiffs.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You don't think a starter getting pushed to 3 deep has anything to do with better players coming in?
If they were better, wouldn't we have better results on the line? Nothing has changed and we have a better qb from those days and better running backs than Lyle McCombs.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It was a winnable game, but we got outgained 500 yards to 200. I think we were lucky to be tied in the 4th quarter. BYU made more mistakes than we did. They were just more athletic and could overcome more self-inflicted mistakes.

No one is more tired of mistakes than I am. But let's get real. We did not dominate the game and piss it away.
It was possible to overcome the yardage disparity when we were plus two in turnovers (add in two FG misses didn't hurt either). Once we started giving them the ball the scoreboard moved to match the yardage.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. One of the very few things that PP did was to get some good recruits. He just couldn't coach them. I think that Diaco is slowly proving that they can be coached and they can produce some real nice results.
I know that a large contingent on the Boneyard gets very excited when recruits with multiple stars in their ratings sign on but I think we need to accept that star ratings in football recruiting is far less of an exact science than it is in basketball.

While P brought in better rated recruits than any other head coach, I have a difficult time believing that he brought in better recruits. There were two very highly rated offensive linemen (I believe the two highest rated we've ever landed) who still can't crack the two deep here. They should be sufficient evidence that the ratings system has questionable accuracy.

Reaction Score
Please enlighten me. Did I see a defensive back intercept a pass, run down the side line with ONLY the opposition Quarterback in his path and the defensive back goes out of bounds? I was expecting the DB to drop his sholder and drill the QB. What's wrong with my thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom