Dez article | The Boneyard

Dez article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Focus on maximizing the red zone, Paul?!?!??! Really?!?!?! Shouldn't it be move the ball consistently, so you get to the red zone? Or limit turnovers, so you get to the red zone? Is he really this ignorant? We have 17 red zone trips in 5 games, I'm not sure about the breaks down by game but I'm pretty sure we have to be at an average of 3/gm if you take out what we did against Umass. By his reasoning, good teams score a TD on 60% of RZ trips, so we'd average 2 TD's on RZ trips per game. Where do the rest of our points come from? Why can't Dez call him out on this?

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-folo-1008-20121007,0,4625276.story

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
You'll be waiting a long time if you want Des to ask the tough questions.

Reaction Score
Same with Amore. The Courant pisses me off because they're more about relationships than asking the questions that get readers the stuff they want to hear and deserve to know. Jacobs is good at ruffling feathers but because he isn't a beat guy he doesn't deliver us the day to day stuff we want to know. Kevin Duffy seems to not give a $&!* (no I won't say fecuntitily)

Reaction Score
Focus on maximizing the red zone, Paul?!?!??! Really?!?!?! Shouldn't it be move the ball consistently, so you get to the red zone? Or limit turnovers, so you get to the red zone? Is he really this ignorant? We have 17 red zone trips in 5 games, I'm not sure about the breaks down by game but I'm pretty sure we have to be at an average of 3/gm if you take out what we did against Umass. By his reasoning, good teams score a TD on 60% of RZ trips, so we'd average 2 TD's on RZ trips per game. Where do the rest of our points come from? Why can't Dez call him out on this?

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-folo-1008-20121007,0,4625276.story
I am not big on criticizing coaches. Even though I did not agree with all RE did and I definitely don't agree with all PP is doing, I was always from the school that you should back the coach. With that said , I am sick and tired of after every loss ( with RE and PP) that we here the same thing. If we had executed the play as designed we would have been fine. If we did not miss that block the play would have worked. If the Dback had his eyes in the right place ( an RE favorite) they would have not been beaten on that TD pass. I am obviously paraphrasing, but the coaches never take the blame. It is always that they (the coaches) put the players in the best position possible but the players did not execute. Whose fault is it that they are not executing. Can it at least sometimes be the coaches fault. If you listen to the coaches speak after a game you get the feeling we can beat Alabama by 50 points just as long as we execute. I can't take this excuse any longer.

Reaction Score
I am not big on criticizing coaches. Even though I did not agree with all RE did and I definitely don't agree with all PP is doing, I was always from the school that you should back the coach. With that said , I am sick and tired of after every loss ( with RE and PP) that we here the same thing. If we had executed the play as designed we would have been fine. If we did not miss that block the play would have worked. If the Dback had his eyes in the right place ( an RE favorite) they would have not been beaten on that TD pass. I am obviously paraphrasing, but the coaches never take the blame. It is always that they (the coaches) put the players in the best position possible but the players did not execute. Whose fault is it that they are not executing. Can it at least sometimes be the coaches fault. If you listen to the coaches speak after a game you get the feeling we can beat Alabama by 50 points just as long as we execute. I can't take this excuse any longer.

It's easier to say "they haven't done their job" than "I haven't done my job". I've seen it occasionally and respect any coach that can say it. But it's usually the guys that don't need to.

U

UConn9604

I wasn't on the conference call, obviously, but if none of the beat writers asked a single question about the time management at the end of the first half, I will lose all faith in the Connecticut sports media.

Reaction Score
If too much of a flaming a$$goblin - you get nothing from the coaches/department. If too much of a homer/headnodder you risk criticism of not asking the tough questions.

You need a good cop-bad cop approach. Unfortunately, most papers have eliminated so much staff that only one person covers a team if anyone. Tough balance....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I wasn't on the conference call, obviously, but if none of the beat writers asked a single question about the time management at the end of the first half, I will lose all faith in the Connecticut sports media.
Why would you have any faith in the Ct sports media? They are basically a division of the sports information department. Many of them could be bought for a box of munchkins and a round of golf with Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom