Deng Gak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deng Gak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look at Stewie - she had a very skinny body type and got noticeably stronger. Tired of posters making excuses for someone who doesn't get it done for power strength.
Stewie seems like the prototype for non-"power strength".

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Look at Stewie - she had a very skinny body type and got noticeably stronger. Tired of posters making excuses for someone who doesn't get it done for power strength.
It would be interesting to know her weight. I person with a lot of muscle mass and low body fat may be heavier than they look and very strong. I person who is bulkier may be carrying less muscle and more fat and not as strong. Looks don't tell everything.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

No, Stewie had a very big frame. It's not just about being skinny, it's about frame, bone size and structure, ie the potential to fill out.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No more slenderman please. We haven't had a bruiser down low in quite some time, probably have to go back to 2009/2010 to name the last one.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Power strength is key.

I can picture it now. Chief saunters into the weight room, idles up to Phil Nolan and begins lecturing him. Travis Illian notices, says "Who the is this guy?", and calls security on him. A grudge is born.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It's not just about being skinny, it's about frame, bone size and structure, ie the potential to fill out.
And at the same time, you're not gonna tell me that Amida Brimah hasn't gained strength.

Freshman year:
IY5ux8T.jpg

Junior year:
7WbIAGT.jpg

Reaction Score
Or they are skinny guys not capable of putting on serious weight. Watch what happens with Enoch and Zach Brown. If they fill out, you can take back the same refrain you've mentioned 326 times now.

Regardless of the cause, it stands to reason that another ultra-skinny guy probably wouldn't acquire the necessary girth in his 4 years here.

7'0, 190 sounds like the sort of dimensions I'd use on a made-up player in Madden just to see how ridiculous it would look.

Reaction Score
I don't really understand the fascination with needing a bruiser, specifically because KO has one on the team right now... In his freshman year Enoch weighed almost 250lbs. Oriakhi most certainly qualifies and that was only a few years ago. Diarra is a rebounding machine and Zach Brown will be on campus in just over a year. I have a really hard time looking at Brimah. Facey, or D-Ham and saying the coaching staff has failed to develop strong bigs.
Point being, this Gak kid looks like a beast and would love to see him in Storrs; regardless of his 18-year old slender frame.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You don't get it. That is 98.3% wussy gymnastics strength and only 1.7% power strength. What we need is something that is at least 60/40 power strength.
Please explain what you mean by "power strength" endurance strength? My understanding in body building is starting with stability (all muscle groups) strength and then power. In other words the muscle groups are stabilized (like tuned and developed proportionally) strengthened (endurance /repetitive strength) and then mass increased for power which enable the person to exceed previous limits. My understanding is that this is sequential. Not a guru at this by any means but I don't understand the term "60/40 power strength"

Reaction Score
Show me another 7' player with that kind of handle. Did I see a few step backs jumpers? Just wow....

Reaction Score
Please explain what you mean by "power strength" endurance strength?

It's a joke. People are mocking chief, who continuously refers to the need for something he calls "power strength" but, being as insufferable as he is, he has no idea how silly he sounds.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Please explain what you mean by "power strength" endurance strength? My understanding in body building is starting with stability (all muscle groups) strength and then power. In other words the muscle groups are stabilized (like tuned and developed proportionally) strengthened (endurance /repetitive strength) and then mass increased for power which enable the person to exceed previous limits. My understanding is that this is sequential. Not a guru at this by any means but I don't understand the term "60/40 power strength"
Let me take a shot. Instead of lifting 100 lbs ten times with 3reps, you lift 50 lbs 15x with 6reps. This is just an example and probably off. But the idea is that you are building strength and repetitive endurance so that you can leap up and grab a rebound in the 4th quarter.

C

Chief00

No, Stewie had a very big frame. It's not just about being skinny, it's about frame, bone size and structure, ie the potential to fill out.

As Geno has stated and as can be clearly observed by any semi-serious student of the game - Stewie has functional grown much stronger. From my perspective it's manifested in the following areas:
- Post Defense
- The ability to seal the defender on offense in the post
- Ability to absorb contact and finish shots
- The ability to box out and get rebounds in traffic
- Attitude and ability to set sturdy meaningful screens
- Ability to maintain verticality and block shots when offensive player throws body into shot blocker
- Finally, quite frankly, win the 50/50 balls
Gentlemen, I hope this breakdown helps your understanding.

C

Chief00

I can picture it now. Chief saunters into the weight room, idles up to Phil Nolan and begins lecturing him. Travis Illian notices, says "Who the is this guy?", and calls security on him. A grudge is born.

Actually I did talk to a couple football players recently and they were joking that even Purvis apparently has a medium shirt and he is the most muscular of the elite basketball players. I don't know if that's true but that's what they told me. In contrast they have a high opinion of the football strength coach.

Granted you don't want basketball players muscle bound but come on - just re - watch the KU game. Brimah got tossed around like a rag doll. Love the kid but it is what it is. As far as frame - that excuse could have been used with Hilton - yet he turned himself into a pretty strong dude.
Brimah's issue TCF is not so much in his arms but in his legs and core - which prevents him from holding any position in the post.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There are subtleties here that take some time to appreciate and the 60/40 term is new and not Chief approved as optimal power strength ratio. Waiting for some peer-reviewed studies to clarify.

Reaction Score
My eyes knew Gak was a top talent but I sort of thought he was off the radar and would climb the rankings like Wenyen Gabriel last year rom #119 to #15ish. I didn't realize he was the #34 composite already and listed at 6'11 220lbs on 247. Our 20+ offers in 2017 are nearly all top 50 players. Hamidou Diallo now #8, Zach Brown #29, Makai Ashton-Langford #42, and add Deng Gak at #34, would be my idea of a super class. Rounding out this year with Christian Vital, Alpha Diallo, and a 5th year transfer big, and we would have an embarrassment of riches worthy of a chubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom