Delany: Space to grow in NY market | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Delany: Space to grow in NY market

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
LOL, Texas is just as petulant as ever, they can't become moreso, I agree :p

Exposure, one can always get more and the PAC would carry more TV's than the current B12, especially if OK, OKST and TT also come for the ride. Just an example.

ND, honestly they wouldn't shock me if they did go to the PAC just to mess with everyone else.

TCU and WVU is striking first? I thought that was reacting to other B12 members leaving. Either way, not really what I'm talking about, the question is, does being in a 16 team conference with the current B12 and 6 members of the ACC (say VT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UL and ??) sound better or worse than being in the PAC with Oklahoma, OKST, TT in terms of long-term projections? I'm not talking about next 3-5 years, but 10-15 years down the line?

I am just making all of this up, so don't take it as some gospel truth, but you asked for an example of a reason Texas may talk to the PAC, not go, but talk. I think any and all of the above are possible reasons to at least talk.

Oh, everyone is clearly talking to everyone else, no doubt about it. I'm not saying that all of these parties aren't talking to each other. But I just can't make any sense out of the money gains, and that's why I believe that Texas isn't going anywhere.

As for the striking first thing, yeah, it's hard to say. Nebraska and TAMU left before TCU and WVU, but TCU and WVU accepted (Oct. 11, 28 respectively) before Missouri had left for the SEC (Nov. 6). Certainly, the Big10 and the SEC are the biggest in the pecking order, no doubt about it. But to me, the Big12 has now put itself on par with the PAC, both monetarily and in terms of stability. I just don't see anything happening to the Big12 as a league. Worst case scenario in my opinion is that they lose someone like a Kansas to the B1G, in which case they poach a team from the ACC (or Cincy)...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Well it would be doom and gloom if Cuse or BC were the choice over UConn. I can see the arguments for Cuse and UConn

Cuse has a bigger stadium for football and basketball.

UConn is a public school with a shot at being AAU in the future.

The question is, who has a bigger reach overall? Does Cuse bring enough sets in upstate to counter UConn's sets in CT/advantage in NYC/Western Mass/potentially Boston? Cuse really doesn't reach outside the state of New York, but is that enough?

I can't see BC as bringing as much as either Cuse or UConn.

Also, if B1G grabs UNC (somehow) and UVA instead of going north, does the SEC even try to get NCST or do they just give up on the state of North Carolina?

the stadium size for cuse bball is not a factor at all. its a very cool thing but means nothing to the b10. other fanbases going to bball games can get tix to any place, cuse playing its games on a fball field doesn't matter. if there was even a quaetion about it which here would be, uconn imediately says i will play all b10 games in xl and theres your good enough size arena. bc on the other hand draws crapy to bball games and has a amsall arena to boot, while not important to the overall view it is noteworthy, but again if that was whats holding them back i have a hard time seing them not say fine we will play out games at the garden. bball arenas will not hold any 1 back imho.

cuse has a 50k dome. its big enough but ther is not room for expansion. the only thing they can do is build a new stadium and i find that a bit out of touch right now considering they are a private school. uconn may be smaller but we all know that u can expand it to 50/60k with a phone call. the b10 knows that so that shouldnt be a issue either. i would also argue that bc has the potential where u could some how add some seats but theya re big enough, they would have trouble getting the city on board with that tho i think.

i think uconns ct market trumps cuse and the upstate mk. bc has boston but its a question of penetration in the bosoton market which is up for debate as we all know. cuse only gets the nyc market when they ball bball bet games in nyc and bc doesn't get anything worth while in nyc. uconn has a stake in nyc and area(fc/wc/pk) and also just simpky has relevant fan base/alum size in the city. that puts uconn ahead of cuse and bc in nyc, just like ruty is ahead of uconn and ther others right now in nyc.

so arens/stadiums should not place bc or cuse higher then uconn in any view, if they do then susan and warde have done a horrible job, horrible selling the program and its future/potential as a B1G member.

uconn has the aau card, well not yet but its clear they will soon. cuse was aau and they fit acadeimcs wise but they lost the aau card. was that just atemp thing or are they losing research and onlu going south? i don't know the answer to that. bc has no research so if the b10 adds them then its really going out of the b10s footprint in several ways. makes them less likely from the eye test.

the uva/unc thing is what it is as i talked about earlier in the previous post. lastly, its only worth a .00001% point but the b10 will i bet bring atleast 1 more puck program in to help that league one day beco me the big boy league. uconn and bc fit that. bc clearly is the stud but puck wont be the decidiing factor but just a extra point in adding a certain school.

overall, uconn seems to fit more than others no?

caw

Reaction Score
the stadium size for cuse bball is not a factor at all. its a very cool thing but means nothing to the b10. other fanbases going to bball games can get tix to any place, cuse playing its games on a fball field doesn't matter. if there was even a quaetion about it which here would be, uconn imediately says i will play all b10 games in xl and theres your good enough size arena. bc on the other hand draws crapy to bball games and has a amsall arena to boot, while not important to the overall view it is noteworthy, but again if that was whats holding them back i have a hard time seing them not say fine we will play out games at the garden. bball arenas will not hold any 1 back imho.

cuse has a 50k dome. its big enough but ther is not room for expansion. the only thing they can do is build a new stadium and i find that a bit out of touch right now considering they are a private school. uconn may be smaller but we all know that u can expand it to 50/60k with a phone call. the b10 knows that so that shouldnt be a issue either. i would also argue that bc has the potential where u could some how add some seats but theya re big enough, they would have trouble getting the city on board with that tho i think.

i think uconns ct market trumps cuse and the upstate mk. bc has boston but its a question of penetration in the bosoton market which is up for debate as we all know. cuse only gets the nyc market when they ball bball bet games in nyc and bc doesn't get anything worth while in nyc. uconn has a stake in nyc and area(fc/wc/pk) and also just simpky has relevant fan base/alum size in the city. that puts uconn ahead of cuse and bc in nyc, just like ruty is ahead of uconn and ther others right now in nyc.

so arens/stadiums should not place bc or cuse higher then uconn in any view, if they do then susan and warde have done a horrible job, horrible selling the program and its future/potential as a B1G member.

uconn has the aau card, well not yet but its clear they will soon. cuse was aau and they fit acadeimcs wise but they lost the aau card. was that just atemp thing or are they losing research and onlu going south? i don't know the answer to that. bc has no research so if the b10 adds them then its really going out of the b10s footprint in several ways. makes them less likely from the eye test.

the uva/unc thing is what it is as i talked about earlier in the previous post. lastly, its only worth a .00001% point but the b10 will i bet bring atleast 1 more puck program in to help that league one day beco me the big boy league. uconn and bc fit that. bc clearly is the stud but puck wont be the decidiing factor but just a extra point in adding a certain school.

overall, uconn seems to fit more than others no?

I don't disagree, but I'm not in a true position to analyze the data Delany is using.

I do think UConn would be the best northern school to add, but UConn will "always be there" and no northern school should be added while the B1G has a chance to steal two southern schools, or one southern school and ND.

I'm sure other B1G members would also be more OK with adding UConn to get to 18 or 20 than to 16, IMO.

UConn could still be left in the wind of course, even if the B1G goes to 20, but the B1G would have to add UNC/UVA/Duke/Cuse/GT/ND or BC. Honestly that wouldn't be a horrible end game for the B1G. Of course if they add UConn instead of GT they have the entire east coast covered from North Carolina to Boston. All theoretical anyhow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Petulance? Exposure? Future dollars? Wanting to be in a league with ND (if ND joins B1G - not likely)? Secession (JK, checking if you are paying attention). Striking first (not liking the league's possible future as a combination of ACC/B12, or simply liking the PAC better)?

No chance. Culturally, Texas hates the west coast. So does Oklahoma. The only reason this was ever on the table was because the Big 12 was on the verge of collapse, and because the Pac was desperate. Yes, the Pac realizes that its options to go beyond 12 are limited. Nevada and New Mexico might be nice schools, but there is no real athletic brand there. They are protected by isolation and limited by isolation.

Texas isn't going anywhere, so the Big 12 isn't going anywhere. If they are smart, they should try to reclaim Colorado, plus Utah, plus the Arizona schools and New Mexico and Nevada. 16 teams. Rebrand as the Southwest Conference. That is a hell of a league. And it makes perfect sense culturally, demographically and geographically.

UT, Baylor, TCU, TT, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, UC, Utah, NM, NV, AZ, ASU, ISU and WVU.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn will not always be there. Enough years trapped in purgatory we wither on the vine and become Idaho.

BIG 16 will add either:
No one
UVA and UNC
UVA and UConn
UVA and Syracuse
UConn and Syracuse
Any one of the above plus ND.

I don't see Kansas as a player because Missouri wasn't a player.

Texas will stay in the Big 12 as long as they can control it. OU/OSU won't leave until Texas does.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#