DC: McCombs Arrested | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DC: McCombs Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without actual knowledge of the offense it's impossible to judge.

But that is sort of the issue, now. Coach P has to make a decision weighing a bunch of things.

Put yourself in Coach P's shoes as a coach (assume you only know he was arrested, he was accused of spitting and pushing his girlfriend, and LM says the cops got it wrong).

I think a coach has the obligation to show his players that actions have consequences. At the very least, Lyle McCombs put himself in a terrible situation. Punishing him by sitting him 1 quarter sends no message. Teaches no lessons.

Now where we agree is, let's wait to see how long the suspension should be.

He is not going to go to jail for a misdemeanor, the charges will likely be dismissed after completion of a program. Or nolled after the court makes him take some classes.

But the allegations are concerning.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Wait, so you are judging the severity of the charge on whether someone was transported to jail?

The allegations are that he spit on and pushed his girlfriend. The police felt there was enough evidence to arrest him. That is all the info we have. The police account. Do you think the 1 quarter suspension is warranted?
Have you seen the arrest report? If so , I'll retreat on my position immediately. Until then, i intend trust HCPP who has always been a no nonsense disciplinarian.

Reaction Score
Mind Boggling... Realizing that not everything you read on the internet, blog, message board is 100% factual - He had 12 hours from occurence to leaving for Pissssscataway to make a decision. I find it odd that old skool HCPP let's it slide unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the arrest report? If so , I'll retreat on my position immediately. Until then, intend trust HCPP who has always been a no nonsense disciplinarian.

I have not.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Warde Manuel even knows that this is McCombs' second arrest and already was suspended? Worse than not knowing, is if Manuel does know and allows McCombs to sniff even wearing a uniform.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well it's on Silvers blog. It's on SNY pre game. This is so ridiculous it's almost surreal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wonder if Warde Manuel even knows that this is McCombs' second arrest and already was suspended? Worse than not knowing, is if Manuel does know and allows McCombs to sniff even wearing a uniform.

Agreed the AD should have stepped in.

Reaction Score
The idea that these players are representative of the students at UConn is absolutely ridiculous. They're hired guns.

One freakin' football player doesn't represent an entire school. Do you think that the Georgetown basketball players under Thompson were indicative of the general student body at the school there?

Reaction Score
I wish that was true, pushing and spitting on your girlfriend is more than just a tad bit worse don't you think? And just so we are clear, next time this POS is arrested I'll throw out 2 logical options.

Tad bit worse than what... what the folks in Missouri where suspended for? Just so you are clear - I'm NOT defending his actions if true.

Reaction Score
Agreed the AD should have stepped in.

Herbst should have stepped in.

He is accused of spitting on and pushing a woman. Suspend him for the game.

Terrible message to send the student body, and all women. Accused of spitting on and pushing a woman. Get a 1 quarter benching.

Reaction Score
Paging Susan Herbst...

"Above all of that, Warde is a guy that – all day, every day – simply ‘drips with integrity"

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Should immediately be suspended due to the arrest, and if the charges are true, kicked off team would be fine with me.

This is a test for Coach P. One of the things I admired most about FHCRE was how he ran a clean program and quickly addressed issues.

Some fans might be fine with winning at all costs, including off the field transgressions getting slaps on the wrist. Not this fan.
Except for that safety he needed for the Iowa St. game. Situational ethics for Randy.

Reaction Score
There is room between "win at all costs" and "suspend someone immediately for the smallest transgression". I'm suggesting that after reviewing the facts HCPP felt comfortable rendering justice somewhere in the middle. How can you suggest he should be automatically suspended when you don't have a clue on the world what happened?

If it's your daughter is it still a small transgression?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
But that is sort of the issue, now. Coach P has to make a decision weighing a bunch of things.

Put yourself in Coach P's shoes as a coach (assume you only know he was arrested, he was accused of spitting and pushing his girlfriend, and LM says the cops got it wrong).

I think a coach has the obligation to show his players that actions have consequences. At the very least, Lyle McCombs put himself in a terrible situation. Punishing him by sitting him 1 quarter sends no message. Teaches no lessons.

Now where we agree is, let's wait to see how long the suspension should be.

He is not going to go to jail for a misdemeanor, the charges will likely be dismissed after completion of a program. Or nolled after the court makes him take some classes.

But the allegations are concerning.
You're assuming there will be charges filed and that a lesson needs to be taught. We don't know enough to make that determination. I'm guessing others do n

Reaction Score
Have you seen the arrest report? If so , I'll retreat on my position immediately. Until then, i intend trust HCPP who has always been a no nonsense disciplinarian.
Agreed. One of the benefits of having an experienced coach is has seen this before. He probably had felt with pacmans antics in Dallas

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Herbst should have stepped in.

He is accused of spitting on and pushing a woman. Suspend him for the game.

Terrible message to send the student body, and all women. Accused of spitting on and pushing a woman. Get a 1 quarter benching.

It shouldn't get to the AD. Nevermind the Pres.

The blog I think references Friday but must have been Thursday.

He should be in Connecticut. It's so obvious it's painful.

Reaction Score
And just for the record, I am in agreement on not rushing to suspend him for the year. More fact finding needs to be gathered. More witnesses might come forward. The charge is a misdemeanor, not a felony, and the fact that it appears to be disorderly conduct and not Assault 3 (which is also a misdemeanor), raises some questions. If the officers found the allegations credible regarding spitting and pushing, the charge should have been Assault 3.

My main issue is that Coach P, and the UCONN Administration, thinks it's alright to suspend a player for 1 quarter after an arrest.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What if they're waiting to get a clearer picture of the situation and they suspend him for next week's practices and game.

Let's try settling down a bit and seeing how the whole situation plays.

Reaction Score
I hope you all are not naive enough to believe that the statements contained in a police report are gospel. There are at least two sides to a story. Most people who went to UConn probably have at least one incident with a cop in which he or she was unjustly treated. Let the situation play out before we pass judgment.

To play devils advocate for all we know it could have been a Rutgers fan...

Reaction Score
What if they're waiting to get a clearer picture of the situation and they suspend him for next week's practices and game.

Let's try settling down a bit and seeing how the whole situation plays.

I agree that finding MCCombs guilty right now is premature. very.

But he was arrested. That deserves a punishment. 1 game sounds about right.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Very disappointing to wake up at 2am to see this as the head line on UConn football right now. Ugh.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If it's your daughter is it still a small transgression?
If true, it's not a mall transgression regardless of victim. I'm simply suggesting HCPP had access to actual facts and rendered a decision while we are rending justice with absolutely no idea of what transpired. In such a circumstance I tend to side with coach who was never one to give players much slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom