Day of The Dead - Grateful Dead cover compliation | The Boneyard

Day of The Dead - Grateful Dead cover compliation

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Day of the Dead

"Day of the Dead is an epic tribute to the music and artistry of the Grateful Dead, curated by Aaron and Bryce Dessner of The National. They have brought together some of their favourite musicians to reinterpret the songs and sounds of the Dead for a new generation. 59 tracks and over 5 hours of music makes the album a landmark to get lost in, to discover hidden treasures and to make your own playlists for whatever mood you’re in."

The album is produced for the Red Hot foundation which raises money for HIV/AIDS awareness. Previous releases include Dark Was The Night which is a personal favorite of mine.

6 of the tracks have been released so far -

The lineup is basically a whos-who list of some of my favorite bands currently out there. I was never super familiar w/ the Dead growing up, but have been really enjoying the songs that have been released so far. It has also got me to dig further into the Grateful Dead catalogue than I ever had before, which I appreciate. The lineup is basically a who's who list of some of my favorite artists currently. Wondering what someone like @August_West might think of the compilation.

Althea • Winston Marshall, Kodiak Blue and Shura
And We Bid You Goodnight • Sam Amidon
Attics of My Life • Angel Olsen
Bird Song • Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy & Friends
Black Muddy River • Bruce Hornsby & De Yarmond Edison
Black Peter • Anohni and yMusic
Box of Rain • Kurt Vile and the Violators (featuring J Mascis)
Brokedown Palace • Richard Reed Parry with Caroline Shaw and Little Scream (featuring Garth Hudson)
Brown-Eyed Women • Hiss Golden Messenger
Candyman • Jim James & Friends
Cassidy • Moses Sumney, Jenny Lewis & Friends
China Cat Sunflower · I Know You Rider • Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Clementine Jam • Orchestra Baobab
Cream Puff War • Up
Cumberland Blues • Charles Bradley and Menahan Street Band
Dark Star • Cass McCombs, Joe Russo & Friends
Dark Star • The Flaming Lips
Dire Wolf • The Lone Bellow & Friends
Drums · Space • Man Forever / Sō Percussion / Onieda
Easy Wind • Bill Callahan
Estimated Prophet • The Rileys
Eyes of the World • Tal National
Franklin’s Tower • Orchestra Baobab
Friend of the Devil • Mumford and Sons
Garcia Counterpoint • Bryce Dessner
Going Down The Road Feeling Bad • Lucinda Williams & Friends
Help On The Way • Béla Fleck
Here Comes Sunshine • Real Estate
High Time • Daniel Rosen and Christopher Bear
If I Had the World to Give • Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy
I Know You Rider • The National with Bob Weir (live)
Jack-A-Roe • This Is The Kit
King Solomon’s Marbles • Vijay Iyer
Loser • Ed Droste, Binki Shapiro & Friends
Me and My Uncle • The Lone Bellow & Friends
Morning Dew • The National
Mountains of the Moon • Lee Ranaldo, Lisa Hannigan & Friends
New Speedway Boogie • Courtney Barnett
Nightfall of Diamonds • Nightfall of Diamonds
Peggy-O • The National
Playing in the Band • Tunde Adebimpe, Lee Ranaldo & Friends
Ripple • The Walkmen
Rosemary • Mina Tindle & Friends
Rubin & Cherise • Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy & Friends
Shakedown Street • Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Ship of Fools • The Tallest Man On Earth & Friends
St. Stephen • Wilco with Bob Weir (live)
Standing on the Moon • Phosphorescent & Friends
Stella Blue • Local Natives
Sugaree • Phosphorescent, Jenny Lewis & Friends
Terrapin Station (Suite) • Daniel Rossen, Christopher Bear & The National (featuring Josh Kaufman, Conrad Doucette, Sō Percussion & Brooklyn Youth Chorus)
Til the Morning Comes • Luluc with Xylouris White
To Lay Me Down • Perfume Genius, Sharon Van Etten & Friends
Touch of Grey • The War on Drugs
Transitive Refraction Axis for John Oswald • Tim Hecker
Truckin’ • Marijuana Death Squads
Uncle John’s Band • Lucius
Wharf Rat • Ira Kaplan & Friends
What’s Become of the Baby • s t a r g a z e

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ive liked a few of the releases Ive heard so far. Its such a huge project.

It speaks to the timelessness of the songs that people are discovering their genius in some cases 45-50 years after they were written.

It is obvious at this point that their canon is only matched by the Beatles and Bob Dylan in terms of longevity and relevance. People will be listening to (and covering) the songbook in 100 years) Unlike the other two though, the Dead never got the acclaim for that in their moment.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ive liked a few of the releases Ive heard so far. Its such a huge project.

It speaks to the timelessness of the songs that people are discovering their genius in some cases 45-50 years after they were written.

It is obvious at this point that their canon is only matched by the Beatles and Bob Dylan in terms of longevity and relevance. People will be listening to (and covering) the songbook in 100 years) Unlike the other two though, the Dead never got the acclaim for that in their moment.

Personally, I'd put the Stones in there. The amount of fervor they still inspire is staggering. Especially among the younger crowd. For me Stones > Beatles. They still instantly fill an arena.

They don't get covered as much though. Mainly, I think, because it's the playing/sound that is so....I don't know the word. I can't think of a single Stones cover that is better than the original. I can think of covers of Beatles/Dylan songs that are better or more iconic. (eg Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower).

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd put the Stones in there. The amount of fervor they still inspire is staggering. Especially among the younger crowd. For me Stones > Beatles.

I love the Stones, maybe even more than the Beatles and yeah they still bring it, but it is the timelessness of the catalogs we are comparing. The Stones have some songs that meet that criteria for sure. No doubt. I just dont think it is on Beatles or Dylan level.
The Dead like they were when they were around, are still unexplainable.

Here is the thing. Grateful Dead cover bands are a dime a Dozen . I can name you 20 right off the top of my head in New England. And there is WAY more than that. They do huge business. Bigger business with bar age than Beatles, Stones, Dylan, etc............
Kids know that catalog of a band that hasnt toured in 21 years and wasnt ever main stream popular then, and arent now.

It is crazy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I love the Stones, maybe even more than the Beatles and yeah they still bring it, but it is the timelessness of the catalogs we are comparing. The Stones have some songs that meet that criteria for sure. No doubt. I just dont think it is on Beatles or Dylan level.
The Dead like they were when they were around, are still unexplainable.

Here is the thing. Grateful Dead cover bands are a dime a Dozen . I can name you 20 right off the top of my head in New England. And there is WAY more than that. They do huge business. Bigger business with bar age than Beatles, Stones, Dylan, etc..
Kids know that catalog of a band that hasnt toured in 21 years and wasnt ever main stream popular then, and arent now.

It is crazy.

RE kids knowing the catalogue of Dead songs...very true. If that's the standard we are looking at, then you'd have to consider Pink Floyd. 22 years since breakup. Damn near every college guy in America has or does listen to Floyd. Incredible staying power.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
RE kids knowing the catalogue of Dead songs...very true. If that's the standard we are looking at, then you'd have to consider Pink Floyd. 22 years since breakup. Damn near every college guy in America has or does listen to Floyd. Incredible staying power.

All those guys +Zeppelin.

How about the big concert news that came out over the weekend - Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Dylan, The Who, Neil Young, and Roger Waters all sharing the same bill.

Coachella bosses planning historic mega-concert

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No way would i ever put the Stones in the same realm of The Beatles...

True, the Beatles could never quite capture that live performance energy of The Stones.

Reaction Score
True, the Beatles could never quite capture that live performance energy of The Stones.

I hope your joking. Considering they couldnt even hear themselves play in their early days most of their later work probably wouldnt have worked live, if they could have even put up with each other to play it. I'd rather save the $300 a ticket to not see the stones.

Reaction Score
The fundamental difference is those groups played for the radio, the Dead played for the stage. And their catalog is endless. Good luck diving down the rabbit hole Penfield.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope your joking. Considering they couldnt even hear themselves play in their early days most of their later work probably wouldnt have worked live, if they could have even put up with each other to play it. I'd rather save the $300 a ticket to not see the stones.

Hahaha def not joking. Beatles were an incredible (one of the best ever) studio band. But live? meh. You don't hear too many people reminiscing about their favorite Beatles concert. I'm not saying they weren't capable of a good live show, but they certainly didn't blow your socks off. I saw a late Stones Tour, when they were complete geezers, and they still brought it.

For me personally (opinion), the Beatles are closer to very well written and composed muzak. I know that's sacrilege to a lot of people.

Reaction Score
just
Hahaha def not joking. Beatles were an incredible (one of the best ever) studio band. But live? meh. You don't hear too many people reminiscing about their favorite Beatles concert. I'm not saying they weren't capable of a good live show, but they certainly didn't blow your socks off. I saw a late Stones Tour, when they were complete geezers, and they still brought it.

For me personally (opinion), the Beatles are closer to very well written and composed muzak. I know that's sacrilege to a lot of people.

just stop.. the beatles toured from 62-66, and barely in 69'.. Compared to the Stones that have been still touring today. I dont think many people, unless u were a teen girl in the early 60s saw the beatles perform live. The Beatles work is so much broader than the Stones which is what makes them so great.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
just stop.. the beatles toured from 62-66,. and barely in 69'.. Compared to the Stones that have been still touring today. I dont think many people, unless u were a teen girl in the early 60s saw the beatles perform live. The Beatles work is so much broader than the Stones which is what makes them so great.

Stop what? You made my point exactly. For me, the test of a great band is how they play live, especially in today's age with auto tune and all that other crap. Composition is half the battle.

A live performance tells you more about most bands than studio work, in my opinion. It's not just about technical ability, but about energy, and being able to transmit and enhance that. Especially in rock and related.

The Beatles were one of the greatest rock composers of all time. Along with people like Dylan et al. But if you pick a list of bands you wish you saw live in real life, they are def not top 10. Yes, they have a big catalog, and that's due to their fantastic compositional/studio skills. But imo, that's only half (or whatever) of being a great band.

August_West

Reaction Score
The fundamental difference is those groups played for the radio, the Dead played for the stage. And their catalog is endless. Good luck diving down the rabbit hole Penfield.

Ha. The rabbit hole is a great analogy. Its exactly what it is. Luckily with the Dead there is a wealth of material at hand (for free) to Satisfy that jones if one is so moved to do so. Archive.org has pretty much every concert they ever played.

I was involved in a similar project last summer that culminated with David Hidalgo (from Los Lobos), Jimmy Buffet and David Crosby covering Ripple with people from all over the Globe. Im not ashamed to admit this made me weep the first time I saw it. To see this and come to the realization that music that has touched me so deeply for so long touches people worldwide in the same way was quite a moment. This is insanely good.

and here is all 50 of the covers including the one I was on.

Songs of Their Own Archives - JamBase

Reaction Score
Ha. The rabbit hole is a great analogy. Its exactly what it is. Luckily with the Dead there is a wealth of material at hand (for free) to Satisfy that jones if one is so moved to do so. Archive.org has pretty much every concert they ever played.

It starts with the 100's of songs of their own material, then the 100's of covers, then you become obsessed and it becomes the difference between Scarlet-Fire in '77 & '88 &'94. And then it becomes how Keith played it differently than Brent and then Vince. Oh, gawd. And like the above video shows, how many different ways the songs can be played. I've never seen anything done like that so many times with anyone else's music.

I was involved in a similar project last summer that culminated with David Hidalgo (from Los Lobos), Jimmy Buffet and David Crosby covering Ripple with people from all over the Globe. Im not ashamed to admit this made me weep the first time I saw it. To see this and come to the realization that music that has touched me so deeply for so long touches people worldwide in the same way was quite a moment. This is insanely good.

Very cool.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A live performance tells you more about most bands than studio work, in my opinion. It's not just about technical ability, but about energy, and being able to transmit and enhance that. Especially in rock and related.

My response got cut off for some reason. There's great value and skill required in being able to improvisationally riff off what other guys are doing on stage. To go and take people to different places. This is what made the Greatful Dead so impressive.

And incidentally, the Stones didn't break up because of drugs. It was Mick's ego. He thought he was bigger than the band (Keith), and could be just as big, if not bigger on his own. He found out otherwise.

The Beatles did just as many drugs anyway. Well maybe not more than Keith, but a lot.

August_West

Reaction Score
It starts with the 100's of songs of their own material, then the 100's of covers, then you become obsessed and it becomes the difference between Scarlet-Fire in '77 & '88 &'94. And then it becomes how Keith played it differently than Brent and then Vince. Oh, gawd. And like the above video shows, how many different ways the songs can be played. I've never seen anything done like that so many times with anyone else's music.

Very cool.

1983 had the best Scarlet>Fires :)

Reaction Score

Very cool that you were involved with the JamBase covers. I've probably watched all of them on YouTube. The Ripple compilation is great -- always thought it was cool that Bill Kreutzmann participated as well.

Reaction Score
1983 had the best Scarlet>Fires :)

It's been a while since my heavy Dead listening days, but Cornell '77 is the iconic one and I seem to remember being partial to Winterland NYE '78 that had some heavy Phil bombs in the segue.

August_West

Reaction Score
It's been a while since my heavy Dead listening days, but Cornell '77 is the iconic one and I seem to remember being partial to Winterland NYE '78 that had some heavy Phil bombs in the segue.

Cornell is great so is Winterland, but 83 has just an embarassment of top notch ones.

4/23/83 - New Haven Coliseum - Phil carpet Bombs Fire
6/18/83 - Saratoga performing Arts Center - incredible
10/14/83 (which is Dicks picks 6) - hartford civic center - very highly ranked
10/21/83- worcester centrum

All four of those are incredible

(may be biased, I was at all 4 ;-)

August_West

Reaction Score
Very cool that you were involved with the JamBase covers. I've probably watched all of them on YouTube. The Ripple compilation is great -- always thought it was cool that Bill Kreutzmann participated as well.

It was a lot of fun.
We shot it at Telefunken Studios in Windsor. Many of those were shot there. Some others shot out in San Francisco at Jambase office

August_West

Reaction Score
My response got cut off for some reason. There's great value and skill required in being able to improvisationally riff off what other guys are doing on stage. To go and take people to different places. This is what made the Greatful Dead so impressive.

And incidentally, the Stones didn't break up because of drugs. It was Mick's ego. He thought he was bigger than the band (Keith), and could be just as big, if not bigger on his own. He found out otherwise.

The Beatles did just as many drugs anyway. Well maybe not more than Keith, but a lot.
what-kind-of-world-keith-richards.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For whatever reason I'm listening to more Beatles lately. Great stuff that holds up.

I agree though, the Stones put one hell of show on. No doubt about it.

Any thoughts on at least an honorable mention for the Who? I think it holds well and it is far more complex musically than most people realize.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What a hero. No one has used drugs better than Keith Richards. No one.
That's the reason why he's held up so well. He's pre-embalmed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom