David Benedict is what we thought he is ... | The Boneyard

David Benedict is what we thought he is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BIGTIME Professional Sports Manager. This could not have been easy at this University at this time. I respect what he did for us. We need to circle the wagons ... and begin to rebuild our Fanbase, Tailgates, Enthusiasm ... and I think this move ripples through all our sports. Thanks Susan as well.

Reaction Score
BIGTIME Professional Sports Manager. This could not have been easy at this University at this time. I respect what he did for us. We need to circle the wagons ... and begin to rebuild our Fanbase, Tailgates, Enthusiasm ... and I think this move ripples through all our sports. Thanks Susan as well.

This hire will be his UConn legacy. We have to already have our guy - I'm sure he's spoken with our boosters and I can't see any way they help pay this buyout without knowing what they're getting.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This hire will be his UConn legacy. We have to already have our guy - I'm sure he's spoken with our boosters and I can't see any way they help pay this buyout without knowing what they're getting.

There may be a lot of truth in this statement.

Reaction Score
It was an incredibly easy decision. Nevertheless, they get credit for pulling the trigger.

Easy??

Maybe you aren't correctly reading the tea leaves of the UConn endowment, AD revenues to expenses imbalance, the mindset of the Connecticut curmudgeon, the University's nervous relationship with the legislature ...

Benedict-Herbst HAD to unearth Private Money ... something UConn (in spite of our very successful athletic history) has scant depth of support. This is a Game Changing move for Football and other paths forward.

Reaction Score
I have the great respect for President Susan Herbst AD Dave Benedict courageous move. It was not an easy decision to let BD go.

I don't think it was a hard decision to let Diaco go. It was a matter of money. I am sure in coming days we will find out which booster (s) stepped up to get this done. I am pretty sure they already identified the next possible coach. I predicted in mid season this should be the course. For the longest time, media stated Diaco is back, which was very disappointing. I am just glad DB got it done somehow.

UConn can finally move on. Hopefully, we won't duckk up this time. I hope third time is the charm.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Easy??

Maybe you aren't correctly reading the tea leaves of the UConn endowment, AD revenues to expenses imbalance, the mindset of the Connecticut curmudgeon, the University's nervous relationship with the legislature ...

Benedict-Herbst HAD to unearth Private Money ... something UConn (in spite of our very successful athletic history) has scant depth of support. This is a Game Changing move for Football and other paths forward.

Easy in the sense that Diaco could not come back. It would have destroyed football at UConn for good. The work behind the scenes to make this doable was hard, I'm sure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think they could afford not to pull the trigger. Diaco was an "energy vampire" to the extreme. He sucked the life out of our players, our most dedicated fans and out of our public perception. I don't know what it cost us to get rid of him (hearing 3.4M which likely means that it was negotiated away from the dopey lump sum payment) but whatever it was it was more cost effective than keeping him another year and playing in an empty stadium.

Reaction Score
I don't think they could afford not to pull the trigger. Diaco was an "energy vampire" to the extreme. He sucked the life out of our player, our most dedicated fans and out of our public perception. I don't know what it cost us to get rid of him (hearing 3.4M which likely means that it was negotiated away from the dopey lump sum payment) but whatever it was it was more cost effective than keeping him another year and playing in an empty stadium.
They were well aware of that.

Reaction Score
"Energy Vampire" is exactly the appropriate Term for this tenure. For all his surprising strange methods ... he turned into a guy who just sucked the life out of our newby experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That makes sense. Look at all of the recent commits - no way they were pushing before the dead period if they thought they were gone.

Reaction Score
"Energy Vampire" is exactly the appropriate Term for this tenure. For all his surprising strange methods ... he turned into a guy who just sucked the life out of our newly experience.
Count Diacola!

I was convinced I was out, told everyone around me I was. My best friend looked at me during the Tulane game when I told him, and said "YOU'RE OUT?"

I just couldn't justify continue to buy tickets for a product that made trips to the DMV for more enjoyable than tanking in a game.

Now, if they hire Joe Moorehead or another offensive minded Coach I may be all in. Again.

Reaction Score
Count Diacola!

I was convinced I was out, told everyone around me I was. My best friend looked at me during the Tulane game when I told him, and said "YOU'RE OUT?"

I just couldn't justify continue to buy tickets for a product that made trips to the DMV for more enjoyable than tanking in a game.

Now, if they hire Joe Moorehead or another offensive minded Coach I may be all in. Again.

The offense is still likely to be offensive for awhile. But at least we'll be rebuilding towards a 21st Century game-plan and hopefully forcing the other team to take away options instead of taking them off the table at the outset.

Reaction Score
The offense is still likely to be offensive for awhile. But at least we'll be rebuilding towards a 21st Century game-plan and hopefully forcing the other team to take away options instead of taking them off the table at the outset.
Oh no doubt, but Diaco had the nerve to take the mic after the UVA game and tell us scoring of points was down by "design". I have never left a win more dejected in my life. God we were boring that day. Playing field position all day and only winning because of the Chinese fire drill that was UVA's offensive series near the goal line.

You can't try to win games 13-10, in 2016, the rules all favor the offense.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Beth Goetz manages the football program. She has a big say in this. BIG. Now I wonder if Jerry Kill is in play?

Reaction Score
Beth Goetz manages the football program. She has a big say in this. BIG. Now I wonder if Jerry Kill is in play?

Anything can and does happen but he was just hired as OC @ Rutgers last week and said many times post announcement that being an assistant was more conducive to his health concerns and wasn't looking for HC job.

Reaction Score
FYI, Players are "very excited" about the move.

Source? Or are you just somehow connected? The fact that they're excited and don't even know who the new coach is speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
This hire will indeed be Benedict's legacy. Whoever it is will be well-vetted, not based on an impressive, enthusiastic interview.
Full support will also be given to the new HC as well as the Assistant Coaches, etc. DB was never going to give his all to support BD (new OC, etc) because he knew it was throwing good money after bad. This program is now about to experience a resurgence the likes of which we may never have expected possible a few days ago. How do I know? I just know.

Reaction Score
The fact that they're excited and don't even know who the new coach is speaks volumes.

For some players this new HC will be their 2nd, 3rd and even 4th head coach and as many as their 8th, 9th or 10th likely new position coaches. Despite all that upheaval the word I got on the change coming at HC is even better than you think. The phrase was "very, very excited".

Reaction Score
For some players this new HC will be their 2nd, 3rd and even 4th head coach and as many as their 8th, 9th or 10th likely new position coaches. Despite all that upheaval the word I got on the change coming at HC is even better than you think. The phrase was "very, very excited".

Jim Tressel? Pls.

Reaction Score
Good day for Benedict. His to do list is also going to need to include improving the admissions process for select students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom