David Benedict Interview (7/25) | The Boneyard

David Benedict Interview (7/25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Benedict was on with Wayne Norman this morning on WILI Radio:

Matt Schonvisky‏@MattSchonvisky
On Big 12: "we've been successful both on field and in stands before, program was in great shape under Coach Edsall, we finished at Fiesta"

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 2h2 hours ago
"We've had great wins, we've done it before and can certainly do it again. Diaco has a plan and he's making progress towards winning champs"

"There are very good signs on how the program is moving forward."

On low key approach to Big 12: "everyone will have diff opinion on how to approach, but the decision will not be made by media

"Campaigning through media is not how you will have success in this."

"While certainly Big 12 announced last wk to investigate further, it's not done deal that they will expand. Lots of options on table 4 B12"

"This will be a monetary decision at end of day for B12, I do think football is very important in this decision, but Presidents will decide"

"Certainly UConn has a lot to offer." Benedict

"The Big 12 has not asked us to make a presentation, I'm not sure if they've asked anyone else at this point in time either" Benedict

"They just decided to look further into expanding last week, we know they have a lot of info from consultants on potential additions"

"We have not been contacted at this pt in time to set up date for presenting" Benedict

But if read between lines of what Boren/Bowlsby said, they will reach out to member institutions, we fully expect to be contacted"

"Effort for P5 goes long before Herbst/Manuel, not necessarily just last 5-7 yrs of #UConn history, lot more things to impact"

"Media market we are in, other things we bring to table, our ability to bring NYC market to Big 12, our ability to play games in NYC"

"For example, we are there again this year against Syracuse at the Garden - marquee game, expect sold out raucous environment

"We've played football games at Yankee Stadium - we can continue to do that, NO ONE else can bring that to table who's candidate for Big 12"

"We will identify things like fact we are highest rated public institution being discussed. Academically important, especially 4 Presidents"

On basketball: "absolutely helps, can't downplay, if Big 12 doesn't factor in, will be disappointing-college athletics is not just football"

"Football certainly has much larger impact as relates to TV/media rights, won't downplay impact, however" Benedict #Big12Expansion

"But, no candidate being discussed publicly won't necessarily go into Big 12 immediately & raise profile drastically in football" Benedict

"Long term they want competitive teams and bring in programs who long run will impact, but NONE will impact immediately"

"You would think they will look at overall value of what addition will bring throughout other sports, as well." Benedict on #Big12Expansion

Benedict on his role in this: "if you think about who is making decision, typically presidents, ours will have significant part"

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 1h1 hour ago
"However, we haven't had direct communication w/Commish Bowlsby, but assuming we will, we will be able to respond however they tell us to"

"We have some unbelievable people associated with our university be it our President & our coaches who have won multiple Natl Championships"
"We would certainly utilize them throughout the process if given opportunity, I am sure it will benefit us" Benedict on #Big12Expansion

"I absolutely have contacts w/in Big 12, both personally & professionally. Their loyalty is w/league & they have to be careful whats shared

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 1h1 hour ag
"But have gathered as much information as we can gather to try to put us in the best position where we have the best chance possible"

Reaction Score
every time Benedict does an interview, I feel somewhat worse about our chances.

that's not to say I'm right to feel that way, but it's always the result

Reaction Score
every time Benedict does an interview, I feel somewhat worse about our chances.

that's not to say I'm right to feel that way, but it's always the result

Because you - and everyone else here - wants to be assured that we are in or at the very least that we are going 100% all in to try and get an invite.

You are talking about a school that has now been burned 3 times by expansion. You simply will not get any public statements that are going to tip our hand on what is going on from anyone at UConn.

Benedict is being as transparent as possible about the process. It's boring and it's nerve-wracking but after everything the school and administration has been through, it's the most prudent course of action.

Reaction Score
He said twice that we haven't been contacted.

If the wording is accurate, he also said: "However, we haven't had direct communication w/Commish Bowlsby, but assuming we will, we will be able to respond however they tell us to" ;)

Reaction Score
If the wording is accurate, he also said: "However, we haven't had direct communication w/Commish Bowlsby, but assuming we will, we will be able to respond however they tell us to" ;)

Also, in this situation, isn't the appropriate question: "Have you had communication with David Boren?" Since he's the head of the composition committee.

Reaction Score
He would say that even if we were contacted. 0% chance Benedict goes on air and says "We've received a phone call from Bowlsby asking for a presentation."

Reaction Score
I don't think they need a "presentation" from anybody. They've been studying for months, have all sorts of data. They've probably visited every school with even a remote chance. It's probably just a legal thing. I firmly believe if they expand with four it'll be UConn, Cincy, BYU, and Houston/Memphis.

Reaction Score
Come on man why would he say he has talked to them if he's been saying Uconn is being private with their courtship. Clearly we aren't broadcasting. And if he said we'd been talking it'd raise expectations from fans as well and if we didn't get picked it'd be a huge let down

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"They haven't asked us to make a presentation. I'm not sure that they've asked anyone else to make one." :(

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

Isn't that why we hired Mike Tranghese, so there would be no direct contact until it was GO time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We have and are actively engaged with the B12. There is no doubt on this. Benedict just said so. Can't you hear him winking through your radio?

He is right about the B12 not having a plan or even a notion of what they want here. I'd they behave rationally, we are in. If the do what they've been doing for the last 6 years, it's anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
Isn't that why we hired Mike Tranghese, so there would be no direct contact until it was GO time.

Norman asked him who would make the presentation. Benedict said he didn't know. They would probably find out when they were contacted. He said it might be President Herbst, because, after all, it is the Presidents who vote. He said that President Herbst would play a significant role.

Reaction Score
Norman asked him who would make the presentation. Benedict said he didn't know. They would probably find out when they were contacted. He said it might be President Herbst, because, after all, it is the Presidents who vote.
If I had to choose, I'd want Herbst to make the presentation. She has the longest tenure and UConn has generally been very successful under her watch.

She's also a good speaker, and I think could best sell UConn's vision for the future.

Reaction Score
If I had to choose, I'd want Herbst to make the presentation. She has the longest tenure and UConn has generally been very successful under her watch.

She's also a good speaker, and I think could best sell UConn's vision for the future.
The presenter will be determined by the audience
If it's to presidents it certainly should be Herbst
AD 's speak a different language all together

Reaction Score
This is at the presidential level. I'd expect no one other than Herbst to handle this.

Exactly. Herbst should be out there networking with all the B12 presidents. She should be hammering home UCONN's academic credentials. While the media is constantly harping on the importance of football, presidents care about academics. UCONN has a HUGE advantage vs. other schools with academics, and we need to promote the hell out of that. I am sure OU, Kansas, and UT would rather associate with UCONN than Memphis when it comes to academics.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Herbst should be out there networking with all the B12 presidents. She should be hammering home UCONN's academic credentials. While the media is constantly harping on the importance of football, presidents care about academics. UCONN has a HUGE advantage vs. other schools with academics, and we need to promote the hell out of that. I am sure OU, Kansas, and UT would rather associate with UCONN than Memphis when it comes to academics.

I would hope so, but the ACC held its nose and added Louisville...

Reaction Score
This makes me think there's a lot of turmoil in the B12 about Houston. The show should have hit the road already. Instead, these shmoes are trying to figure out what to do.

Reaction Score
This makes me think there's a lot of turmoil in the B12 about Houston. The show should have hit the road already. Instead, these shmoes are trying to figure out what to do.
OU and Texas should play a best of 3 game of rock, paper, scissors. Winner decides fate of entire conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom