Dario Highsmith-Middletown HS | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dario Highsmith-Middletown HS

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 10:01pm via TweetDeck
Earlier today Dario Highsmith decided he would be a preferred walk-on at#UConn. Then Army offered a scholarship
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/still-some-decisions-to-make-for.html

>>"I liked what I saw a lot (on a visit to UConn) and just everything about it seemed right," Highsmith said. "Coach (Bob) Diaco explained the preferred walk-on situation to me really well and I saw it as no problem I guess but they it got mixed up because Army offered me. They actually offered me a few hours ago and it really mixied things up for me because it is the different between walking on and playing for free<<

>>Highsmith was being looked at as a running back and a guy who could contribute as a returner on special teams. Other teams viewed him as a defensive back while Army could have him be a quarterback in the triple-option offense.<<

Reaction Score
Former Middletown QB Dario Highsmith to return home, play at Wesleyan
http://www.gametimect.com/football-...io-highsmith-to-return-home-play-at-wesleyan/
Wow this will raise a lot of questions, I did not know you could quit the Army. Or was he released for disciplinary reasons? Can't be academics if he can get into Wes U. Obviously border line major D1 talent but all the way to D3. Wish him nothing but the best, he will be the BMOC there for sure. Interesting turn of events to say the least...

Reaction Score
Wow this will raise a lot of questions, I did not know you could quit the Army. Or was he released for disciplinary reasons? Can't be academics if he can get into Wes U. Obviously border line major D1 talent but all the way to D3. Wish him nothing but the best, he will be the BMOC there for sure. Interesting turn of events to say the least...

As long as you don't take the oath before year 2 you can leave without penalty and they will honor your classes for a transfer so long as the school you transfer to accepts their credits.

I wouldn't want to be in the Army, he probably realized he didn't want to be either. No harm, no foul

Reaction Score

Question answered:

Highsmith coming home to Wesleyan
http://www.middletownpress.com/sports/20160112/highsmith-coming-home-to-wesleyan

>>“We are very happy,” said the elder Highsmith. “There were several other schools, but it came down to where Dario felt he could get the best education. That’s what he wanted and that’s what we wanted.”<<

>>Highsmith played — and starred — at West Point Prep this past season. He had the option of staying at West Point and playing for Army, but always had the option to go somewhere else.

The elder Highsmtih confirmed that there were several other offers from Division I, II and III schools, but he declined to go on the record, saying that his son did not want to get into that in public.<<

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He had the option of staying at West Point and playing for Army, but always had the option to go somewhere else.
Way to Commit to the Army...

Is Wesleyan a better education than USMA?? I really don't know.

'I have had several D1 coaching offers...but I don't want to get into that in public, please don't ask.'

Reaction Score
A coach and a kid are on 2 separate levels when it comes to making decisions that affect their future. Nice job by Highsmith making a decision to put academics before athletics. Sounds to me like he setting himself up for life after football now.

Reaction Score
He had the option of staying at West Point and playing for Army, but always had the option to go somewhere else.

In fairness to the kid, the Army wasn't completely committed to him. They send kids to the on-base prep school (it's near Washington Gate) and then offer academy admission to most, but not all of the graduates. It's known that there is no guarantee that they will be accepted, although I'm sure the percentage for recruited athletes is very high. It's essentially the way West Point red shirts players, but the players are not Army cadets until they are accepted and move a few miles south onto the main campus.

Reaction Score

Is Wesleyan a better education than USMA?? I really don't know.

'I have had several D1 coaching offers...but I don't want to get into that in public, please don't ask.'
If you want to be an engineer or want a future in the Military it is not. If you want to be an actor or writer it probably is. They are certainly at different ends of the spectrum socially and politically.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
In fairness to the kid, the Army wasn't completely committed to him. .
Really?

I read the articles from this past year and it said Highsmith Stars....

Reaction Score
Really?

I read the articles from this past year and it said Highsmith Stars....

I heard he did very well there too. However, my point was that both sides know that they can terminate the relationship after the first year without further commitment. I'd imagine he probably was admitted, but the Army could have chosen after his prep year to deny him admission to West Point if his grades weren't what they wanted, his superiors didn't feel he adapted to Army life, etc. Similarly, the kid has the option to reject admission if he doesn't feel it's best for him. It's essentially a one year try/buy plan with no further commitment on either side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom