CT 2012 HS season thread | The Boneyard

CT 2012 HS season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
it was sugested before to do this type of thread and i think it will work out.

kris1 always has good info on ansonia and many other also had good info for local towns teams. lets make have some fun in this thread, respect each other and the kids. maybe cap can do his usual top 10 post here instead of the fball board also...

so my first question to u guys is this:

are the top 5 rb's in the state all 2014 kids?

who are your top 5 backs in ct right now?

Reaction Score
I don't think all 5 are 2014 kids. I would put Nick Kelly (Sr/Staples) and Derrick Villard (Sr/Cromwell) on the list. Colin Moore (Sr/Avon) is very good as well. Joe Pacheco (Sr/New Fairfield) is up there. Kelly missed the season opener with concussion-like symptoms, but I would expect his workload to increase as he nears 100%. Moore, Pacheco, Villard, and Newsome are currently the top four rushers in CT through 2 games. Newsome is obviously on that list. Cooper is good, but Andre Anderson is the leading rusher at Hillhouse. Phillips is more of an athlete, lining up in various spots, but is dangerous with the ball in his hands. A name to watch is Tony Ortiz Jr., he is the son of Tony Ortiz, who was a monster RB/LB (Crosby/Nebraska). I believe, he was a two-year starter at OLB before graduating from Nebraska. His son is a junior at Gilbert-Northwest Regional (Winsted, CT). Tony, Sr. was a tremendous athlete with great size and blazing speed, so Jr. has the pedigree.

Reaction Score
Tony Ortiz, damn that is a name from the past. Tony was the best athlete in the state an absolute freak of an athlete, thought he would have made the NFL but it never happened. Always thought he should have trained for the decathlon he was doing things in track in high school that were pretty much on par with Olympians, just a sick athlete.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
interesting stuff guys. some new names for me to read up on! when i think top backs right away i think newsome and outlow and then cooper and phillips. as for 13 backs, i think howsie is a sleeper but i'm not sure about the next level. i can see him as a tough fb but not sure as a rb at that level. the 4 guys i mentioned all seem to be d1 rbs.

i really like nick kelly, great ath. a good friend of mine is a staples grad and he has raved about him in the past. i think he could end up as a db at the next level or a threat on O but maybe not at the d1 level. there also seems to be some chat about a 14 rb up in southington.

Reaction Score
N.H. Register State Writers Poll
1.Xavier 2.Staples 3.Hand 4.Ansonia 5.Windsor 6.Greenwich 7.Masuk 8.Ledyard 9.West Haven 10.Darien
Others receiving votes: Berlin, Glastonbury, Southington, New London, Hillhouse, Newtown, North Branford, Cheshire, Holy Cross-Waterbury, Manchester, Cromwell, Norwich Free Academy, Middletown, Farmington, New Canaan, Wolcott, St. Joseph, Fairfield Prep, North Haven, and Trinity Catholic.

Register Offensive Players of the Week: Avon Sr. Rb Colin Moore, Brookfield Jr. QB Brad Westmark, Hyde Sr. WR Elijah Nixon, Shelton So. QB Mark Piccirillo
Register Defensive Players of the Week: Hyde Sr. DL William Burroughs, Valley Regional/Old Lyme So. DB Dan Figuenick, Weston Sr. DB Tyler Hassett, Wethersfield Sr. DB O'Neil Drummond
Register Special Teams Players of the Week: Glastonbury Sr. Ben Berey, Hartford Public Sr. Kwame Kitson, Old Saybrook/Westbrook Sr. Jailan Swain, Trinity Catholic Jr. John Benalcazar.
Register Teams of the Week: Bulkley, Crosby, Trinity Catholic, Westhill
Register Game of the Week: West Haven at Notre Dame-West Haven Friday at 7 P.M.

Hartford Courant State Coaches Poll: 1.Xavier 2.Hand 3.Staples 4.Ansonia 5.Windsor 6. Greenwich 7.Ledyard 8.Berlin 9.Holy Cross-Waterbury 10.Glastonbury
Hartford Courant Area Top 10: 1. Xavier 2.Hand 3.Windsor 4.Berlin 5.Glastonbury 6.Farmington 7.Hartford Public 8.Simsbury 9.Avon 10.Cromwell

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
cap, can i get u to put these in the ct thread we have going on the recruit board? it would put all the chat together and be more fun.

i wonder how good that darien qb really is.

Reaction Score
cap, can i get u to put these in the ct thread we have going on the recruit board? it would put all the chat together and be more fun.

i wonder how good that darien qb really is.
Fine, it's a plan.

Reaction Score
I don't think all 5 are 2014 kids. I would put Nick Kelly (Sr/Staples) and Derrick Villard (Sr/Cromwell) on the list. Colin Moore (Sr/Avon) is very good as well. Joe Pacheco (Sr/New Fairfield) is up there. Kelly missed the season opener with concussion-like symptoms, but I would expect his workload to increase as he nears 100%. Moore, Pacheco, Villard, and Newsome are currently the top four rushers in CT through 2 games. Newsome is obviously on that list. Cooper is good, but Andre Anderson is the leading rusher at Hillhouse. Phillips is more of an athlete, lining up in various spots, but is dangerous with the ball in his hands. A name to watch is Tony Ortiz Jr., he is the son of Tony Ortiz, who was a monster RB/LB (Crosby/Nebraska). I believe, he was a two-year starter at OLB before graduating from Nebraska. His son is a junior at Gilbert-Northwest Regional (Winsted, CT). Tony, Sr. was a tremendous athlete with great size and blazing speed, so Jr. has the pedigree.

Here's a question: Does this Joe Pacheco have a dad who's a Chiropractor by the same name? The reason that I ask: When my boys were doing midget football in the 90's-early 2000's, there was a Dr. Joe Pacheco in Southington who was associated with our midget league. He moved out of town & one of his kids would be about the right age.

Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant Poll is not a coaches poll, the Coaches Poll is tabulated by Ned Griffin of the New London Day. The Hartford Courant Poll is compiled by Tom Yantz in consultation with area coaches and other Courant staff writers.

Day Coaches Top 10

Screen-shot-2012-09-24-at-9.19.31-PM.png
Dropped out: New Canaan (8).
Also receiving votes: Ledyard (2-0), 108 points; Darien (2-0), 94; New London (2-0), 75; Middletown (2-0), 62; Holy Cross-Waterbury (2-0), 55; Southington (2-0), 54; Tie, Hillhouse-New Haven (1-1) and Norwich Free Academy (2-0), 52; Newtown (2-0), 48; Cheshire (2-0), 42; St. Joseph-Trumbull (1-1), 18; Tie, Cromwell (2-0) and Fairfield Prep (2-0), 16; Tie, New Canaan (1-1) and North Branford (2-0), 12; Tie, Brookfield (2-0) and Derby (2-0), 11; Tie, Avon (2-0) and Hartford Capital/Classical/Achievement (2-0), 7.
The following coaches voted: Tom Brockett, Ansonia; Jim Buonocore, Ledyard; Craig Bruno, Bunnell-Stratford; Steve Filippone, Hand-Madison; Rob Fleeting, Windsor; Tanner Grove, Montville; Jude Kelly, St. Paul-Bristol; Tim King, Valley Regional-Deep River; Sean Marinan, Xavier-Middletown; John Murphy, Masuk-Monroe; Marce Petroccio, Staples-Westport; Bob Zito, Maloney-Meriden.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
anyone here local in the darien nc area? if so can u tell us anything about the darien qb who is a senior or the nc lb who is a junior...

Reaction Score
anyone here local in the darien nc area? if so can u tell us anything about the darien qb who is a senior or the nc lb who is a junior...

Henry Baldwin (QB/Darien/6'4, 190) threw for 1884 yard, 27 TDs, 14 INTs in 2011. Completing just under 57% of his passes. Through 2 games, in 2012, he's thrown for 576 yards, 7 TDs, 1 INT, but has completed less then 44% of his passes in victories over two of the weaker teams (Ludlowe/Warde) in the FCIAC. He is a pro-style QB.

Cole Harris (LB/New Canaan/6', 200) leads NC in total tackles with 32 through 2 games. Recorded 22 of those in a loss to Trinity Catholic.

Reaction Score
This year's high school football season looks to be pretty interesting so far. I fully expect ansonia to take the state title once again. As for some teams that have impressed me ? Hand looks exceptional on offense and defense, hillhouse has terrific team speed and I think I may have stumbled across a sleeper in the SCC. A few weeks back I was at the NDWH vs. Xavier game and by the end of the game I laughed to myself when I realized I might have just seen one of the best players in the state in X's backfield. I think his name was D'angelo Berry, that kid is FAST , when he got going he looked like the fastest player I've seen in that area for a while. He's pretty short, but sturdy looking and very agile. Just what i think though. He is in my mind very easily in the debate for top 3 rb. in the state, but I'll check back in a few weeks, hes a 2013 recruit.

Oh and the rest of Xavier looks very good as well, really wish we'd gotten boyle though.

Reaction Score
Arkeel hurt tonight. Ankle. Hopefully nothing serious.
Ansonia 48, Derby 6 FINAL
I wasn't able to make the game tonight but I heard Newsome tweaked something early. He had 2 carries for 22 yards, when he left the game. He returned shortly after to score a two point conversion and added a short TD run to put Ansonia up 21-0, in the 1Q. With Ansonia up 28-0 after 1Q, Newsome was done for the night. Tonight was the Andrew Matos show. He was unstoppable, he had 7 carries for 102 yards, scoring 3 TDs (15 and 7 yd rushing, 42 yard reception). Ansonia is more then Arkeel Newsome (6 carries,34 yards,TD). Aside from Matos, McKnight (4-6 passing,116 yards), rushed for a TD, threw 2 TDs (Matos, Finney) as Ansonia built a 41-0 lead at the half. Ephraim Collins added a 23 yard run with just under 8:00 remaining in the 3Q. Ansonia lead 48-0, the varsity was done for the night. Derby's Tyrae Small had a 77 yard TD run on the Ansonia JVs to make it 48-6.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
staples ran train on mcmahon. no suprise. word on the street:
-kelly likes middleburry, is seen as a little ivy player(d3)
-kid on staples d a lb or dl i forget is being recruited by uconn to walkon next fall
-jordan on mcmahon is a good ath surrounded by a team. d2 worthy imho.

Reaction Score

I live in New Canaan.

Baldwin is pretty good and has good size. I think he's about 6-3. He works with the same QB coach that Cochran worked with. Good Ivy league guy I'd imagine. Darien has some young quarterbacks that will be very good.

New Canaan has three junior linebackers who are all good. Cole Harris is very productive and tests pretty well, but he may lack the overall agility to be an FBS kid. Connor Buck is built like a college freshman, he's about 6-2 and 225. He did well at a Rutgers 7 on 7 event this summer. Very strong and athletic, but he has a way to go football wise. He has interest from UMass I believe.

The third LB'er is Michael Root and I think he's the best out of all 3. About 6-1 and 200 pounds with tremendous instincts and great film. If he fills out a bit he'll be a BCS player for sure. He also is a good lacrosse player, so I don't know if that will draw him away from football.

Reaction Score
Saw West Haven tonight...we should get Ervin Phillips, he can fill out to 195 easily and has a complete skill set

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hear that prep has a DE we should keep a eye on also, if nyone goes to the prep-xavier game 2moro, give him a look along with the several talents xavier has.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I gotta say, seeing Staples constantly ranked higher than my Cardinals says a lot about how great of a job Coach Petrocio (sp) has done over there. In my day, Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan were the biggies of the FCIAC and I remember losing to Staples our senior year at home as being the first in like 3 or 4 years. I can't believe how far that program has come the past decade.

That said, Go Cards! Reclaim your dominance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
i hear that prep has a DE we should keep a eye on also, if nyone goes to the prep-xavier game 2moro, give him a look along with the several talents xavier has.
CPTVSports is taping the Prep/Xavier game today to be aired next week.

Reaction Score
Xavier 35, Prep 14

DeAngelo Berry got X off to a fast start returning the opening KO 90 yards for a TD and took his very first carry 64 yards to paydirt. After plunging in from the 1, his 3rd TD, Prep was down 21-0. They didn't roll over like most X opponents. They settled in defesively holding X to just 32 total yards in the 2Q. With 22 secs left in the half Prep found the end zone. A 13-play drive that end with a John Moten (Class of 2015) 9 yard TD reception. 21-7 X at the half. Boyle started to connect in the second half, leading X to a 28-7 lead late in the 3rd. Prep responded. 23 secs later, Moten took a screen pass 42 yards for his second TD, cutting the X lead to 14 after 3Q. The games final score came one play and just 8 secs into the 4Q. Tim Boyle hit James Sullivan for a 47 yard TD. Prep didn't go quietly. They didn't score again but they tuned Boyle up a bit. Forcing him to leave the game late in the 4Q for precautionary measures, after two roughing penalties. Xavier moves to 3-0, but it wasn't easy. Prep could be back. They played with heart and have some good young talent.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thanks. going to try to catch this. can't wait to get a good look at several guys.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I have to wok but let me know what you think of Berry. I think he is pretty damn good but not sure he is UConn level back or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom