CR (and a little more) thoughts on this weekends (9-17) games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CR (and a little more) thoughts on this weekends (9-17) games

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Unless you travel to Hawaii.

Or Alaska, but that's less relevant in football.
Is that rule still around? I thought it went away when they allowed a full 12 game season.

dayooper

Reaction Score
As we've seen with the recent conference championship exemptions for the Big12, anything can be done for popular schools by the NCAA...

I guess there are perks in being one of the cool kids and sitting at the cool kid table.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is that rule still around? I thought it went away when they allowed a full 12 game season.

No - it still exists.

You can also start your season the Saturday before the official start of the season if one of your road games is at Hawaii.

Reaction Score
Here's the question: would the hardcore ND fanbase want to give up their independence if they were left out at 11-1 or 10-2? If they are all as adamant about independence as TerryD, I don't know if it's a given.

The following opinion is just based on anecdotal evidence and is not based on any statistical model, at all:

ND will never join a conference for football. Their independence is such a part of their cultural identity that I doubt they would ever relinquish it. I believe that when ND made their deal with the ACC, their AD stated that ND was fine not making the College Football Playoff so long as ND retained their independence. From the few sports and ND fan sites I have visited and the comments I have read, the hard core ND fan cherishes independence above all else, the small, and I mean small, minority of ND fans who are okay with joining a conference for football seem to prefer either the PAC or ACC. A general dislike for the B1G was the other general trend I noticed amongst their fans.

From the point of view of a VT fan, I am perfectly fine with ND's status with the ACC. Each party has gotten something out of the business deal and as such, I personally am fine with ND's stance. I just hope the ACC's conference leadership isn't betting on ND ever joining the conference and thus plans their actions based upon this knowledge.

dayooper

Reaction Score
No - it still exists.

You can also start your season the Saturday before the official start of the season if one of your road games is at Hawaii.

Makes sense, thanks.

Reaction Score

It exists for all sports. It was and still is a very common rule to take advantage of in ice hockey, especially back when most every Western (read: west of Pennsylvania) hockey team had an Alaska club in their league and would travel at least once every two years. Even now, that is why the Alaska schools have early season tournaments; those two games extra can be pretty valuable.

It is taken advantage of less these days since the 12 game football season became the norm, because with 12 games, it is hard enough finding quality opposition for a thirteenth; where teams were eager to bulk their schedules up to 12, they have seemed less so for 13.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1. When will schools stop scheduling these high level FCS schools? Did no one learn from our Appy St game? Iowa has nothing to win and everything to lose when they play teams like North Dakota St. NDSU is the five time FCS champ and would beat many FBS teams this year. It's not like NDSU is a one year wonder just hitting their stride. I just don't get it

2. Great win yesterday, congrats. I know people will say that UVA is a horrible team in a basketball centric conference, but you all did what you're supposed to do; beat the teams you should. UVA is not as bad as most of the pundits say and you stood toe to toe with them.

3. I wonder if FSU is thinking twice about pushing Louisville into the ACC over you all. Louisville might be the only ACC school that rivals FSU and UNC in looking the other way.

4. Unless they can really pick up the national recruiting, Oklahoma, by means of leaving, needs to kill the Big12 immediately. The Big12 has given teams like TCU and Baylor an avenue to recruit those players that Oklahoma would normally take. With Texas being down, they have given those smaller regional schools an opportunity to become a very big regional names. Throw in Houston and the SEC schools into the mix, and now Oklahoma is fighting for and losing recruits they may have turned down 10 years ago. Going to the Big10/SEC/PAC12 would be a step on the right direction.

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

6. The Big12 is hurting Texas even more than its hurting Oklahoma. I thought Charlie Strong was a good hire, but he is floundering in the job.

7. ND will always have their independence.

1) Most leagues are winding down the scheduling of FCS schools.

2) A W is a W.

3) This is what FSU wants. They saw the writing on the wall with Beamer and realized the ACC was about to become a 2 team conference. Miami is not coming back, and Georgia Tech was never really there in the first place. When Dave Wannstadt was Pitt's high water mark, it tells you all you need to know about that program. The rest of the schools are .500 or worse football programs, and are fine with it. FSU wanted another top dog in the league, and they got it with a semipro team in Louisville. Florida is walking into recruits living rooms and telling them they will play against the best if they go to Florida. FSU is going in and saying they will play some of the best, but they will also have a better chance at a National Title than they would in Gainesville. It is balance between tough schedule and ability to win out.

4) Oklahoma becomes irrelevant to CR very quickly if they are not a Top 10 football team.

5) Water is wet.

6) Agree on Charlie Strong. Texas A&M brought the SEC into Texas.

7) No more Notre Dame threads.

Reaction Score
1) Most leagues are winding down the scheduling of FCS schools.

2) A W is a W.

3) This is what FSU wants. They saw the writing on the wall with Beamer and realized the ACC was about to become a 2 team conference. Miami is not coming back, and Georgia Tech was never really there in the first place. When Dave Wannstadt was Pitt's high water mark, it tells you all you need to know about that program. The rest of the schools are .500 or worse football programs, and are fine with it. FSU wanted another top dog in the league, and they got it with a semipro team in Louisville. Florida is walking into recruits living rooms and telling them they will play against the best if they go to Florida. FSU is going in and saying they will play some of the best, but they will also have a better chance at a National Title than they would in Gainesville. It is balance between tough schedule and ability to win out.

4) Oklahoma becomes irrelevant to CR very quickly if they are not a Top 10 football team.

5) Water is wet.

6) Agree on Charlie Strong. Texas A&M brought the SEC into Texas.

7) No more Notre Dame threads.

Had to give you a "like", Nelson (though, it did pain me to do so)

Reaction Score
Here's the question: would the hardcore ND fanbase want to give up their independence if they were left out at 11-1 or 10-2? If they are all as adamant about independence as TerryD, I don't know if it's a given.

Let them keep their independence - the bigger issue for them is when they will again challenge for a national title regardless of where they are. It is now 28 years since their last title. I believe this is the longest drought in ND football history. They did finish undefeated in 2012 despite some close calls against some weak opponents only be gelded by Bama 42-14 in the BCS game.

At some point, ND will lose its luster as a potential national football power. It happened to Princeton eventually after it won its 28th and final national title in 1950. (Although Princeton decided to throw in with other perennial national football powers and form the Ivy League in 1954.) The question for ND will be - how long do you wait? Football right now gets ND in any conference door. Since ND's olympic sports don't bring anything to the table, if football continues to wane then when does ND make the move? Or maybe it won't have to. The ACC seems content to let ND have its cake and eat it too. However, if ND eventually must join a conference (and I think it will), the B1G would be far superior for it than the ACC. All kidding aside, ND has an excellent academic reputation - how can it stand to be affiliated with a school like LV? We should ask the Dukies the same question!

Reaction Score
The ACC seems content to let ND have its cake and eat it too. However, if ND eventually must join a conference (and I think it will), the B1G would be far superior for it than the ACC. All kidding aside, ND has an excellent academic reputation - how can it stand to be affiliated with a school like LV? We should ask the Dukies the same question!

I would like to, in a respectful manner, point out to you that the relationship goes both ways with regards to ND and the ACC. David Teel, or as I would like to call him John Swofford's PR Guy, stated in a recent article that had the ACC not have its current relationship with ND, then the ACC would more than likely not have gotten our long awaited dedicated sports channel. Also, when ND was added to the ACC for 5 games, by contract, the payout for the ACC was increased by $1 million per school per year. Now of course, you are correct that ND does get to park their non football sports in the ACC and they have access to the ACC bowl games in football; but it does not appear to be a completely one sided affair as some on this board would suggest/infer.

As for the current situation with the University of Louisville and how such academically prestigious schools such as Duke and ND can stand to be associated with said school? Well good sir or madame, it has been my personal experience that some people who reach a certain status level come to believe that nothing can touch them, no matter how dirty or rotten the stench. The problems at the University of Louisville should only affect the University of Louisville, just as the problems at UNC only seem to affect UNC. Personally, as someone who cherishes knowledge and the institutions that spread that knowledge, UNC's sins are more damnable and quite frankly insulting than UL's salacious situation.

Reaction Score
I would like to, in a respectful manner, point out to you that the relationship goes both ways with regards to ND and the ACC. David Teel, or as I would like to call him John Swofford's PR Guy, stated in a recent article that had the ACC not have its current relationship with ND, then the ACC would more than likely not have gotten our long awaited dedicated sports channel. Also, when ND was added to the ACC for 5 games, by contract, the payout for the ACC was increased by $1 million per school per year. Now of course, you are correct that ND does get to park their non football sports in the ACC and they have access to the ACC bowl games in football; but it does not appear to be a completely one sided affair as some on this board would suggest/infer.

We'll see - maybe a school like Duke can lay down with the dogs and perhaps escape without a serious case of fleas, but ND? Not so much...
I said ND has an excellent academic reputation, but it's not in Duke's category. It's more like BC, I guess. The doorknobs do tarnish and the veneers are not all that thick.

But more importantly, why do it? You have a school, such as LV, that accepts 3/4 of its applicants across the board, let alone recruited athletes. How does a school that is trying to maintain academic integrity compete against that? VT, for instance, is a very good school. I've been to your campus and it is beautiful. Schools like VT should have welcomed a great land grant institution like UConn into their ranks. Long term, it was the best route to go for conference success and longevity. In the end, we'll be situated just fine. We can revisit this discussion in about 10 years and see how your experiment with LV turned out.

Reaction Score

We'll see - maybe a school like Duke can lay down with the dogs and perhaps escape without a serious case of fleas, but ND? Not so much...
I said ND has an excellent academic reputation, but it's not in Duke's category. It's more like BC, I guess. The doorknobs do tarnish and the veneers are not all that thick.

But more importantly, why do it? You have a school, such as LV, that accepts 3/4 of its applicants across the board, let alone recruited athletes. How does a school that is trying to maintain academic integrity compete against that? VT, for instance, is a very good school. I've been to your campus and it is beautiful. Schools like VT should have welcomed a great land grant institution like UConn into their ranks. Long term, it was the best route to go for conference success and longevity. In the end, we'll be situated just fine. We can revisit this discussion in about 10 years and see how your experiment with LV turned out.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this ND independence thing. First, what the hell is the big deal about it? Secondly, aren't almost all of their sports part of some P5 conference as a full blown member? If you only have one sport that's independent (and when you have annual scheduling obligations is that really independence?) you're not independent. ND's independence is like the converse of saying Johns Hopkins is in the B1G because they have a program (lacrosse) that is a member.

Reaction Score

Why should Duke, ND, BC, Virginia Tech be criticized for joining a league that invited Louisville into its fold, and yet most Uconn fans could be expected to be completely silent and willing without hesitation to join a league, if invited, that currently has West Virginia, Okie State ( and possibly later Houston ) in its league ? Heck, even Stanford U. is in an athletic league that includes the likes of Washington State.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Why should Duke, ND, BC, Virginia Tech be criticized for joining a league that invited Louisville into its fold, and yet most Uconn fans could be expected to be completely silent and willing without hesitation to join a league, if invited, that currently has West Virginia, Okie State ( and possibly later Houston ) in its league ?

Um, because we're in the AAC now. @Sea Goat brought up doorknobs, and look who responds? If the shoe fits...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why should Duke, ND, BC, Virginia Tech be criticized for joining a league that invited Louisville into its fold, and yet most UConn fans could be expected to be completely silent and willing without hesitation to join a league, if invited, that currently has West Virginia, Okie State ( and possibly later Houston ) in its league ? Heck, even Stanford U. is in an athletic league that includes the likes of Washington State.

Long before US News rankings, TV contracts (or TV's) and not long after the AAU was created (1900), Washington St. joined the Pac-12 (formerly PCC) in 1917, which was 2 years after the conference was created by U Washington, Oregon, Oregon St, and Cal. Stanford joined in 1918 followed by USC in 1922 and then UCLA in 1928. Looks to me like Washington St. had to courage to approve a new member that would significantly improve the conference as a whole on and off the field and did it several times. Imagine that? Making a decision that improved the conference over the long-term versus trying to protect its own frailties.

PS - According to prior reports, ND did not have a vote when Louisville was added while Duke was reportedly supporting UConn for basketball and academic reasons. I don't recall is VT's stance was ever know.

PPS - I hope there is a sea of Blue up at Chestnut Hill on November 19th. My only concerns is that UConn signs maybe covered up by 'Fire Addazio' signs.

Reaction Score

First, that's very nice of you to say regarding Virginia Tech. Now I'm going to preface what I'm about to say by stating that I really admire your school for its academic reputation.

Okay, so here we go. Currently the ACC is an athletic conference and while it does have an academic consortium, it is geared towards undergrads. Now perhaps I might be mistaken, but when Duke writes a grant to NIH, does it mention that it is in the ACC and that is why it should get the grant? Will GT lend it's main researcher to Duke if Duke's lead researcher goes down with pneumonia? Of course not! Long story short, the ACC is a sports conference and until it decides to become more like the B1G, this is how the ACC will operate.

As for how Louisville will affect VT's academic reputation, I guess time will tell. But I believe that VT's actions or inactions will have more of a direct impact upon its academic reputation.

Reaction Score
First, that's very nice of you to say regarding Virginia Tech. Now I'm going to preface what I'm about to say by stating that I really admire your school for its academic reputation.

Okay, so here we go. Currently the ACC is an athletic conference and while it does have an academic consortium, it is geared towards undergrads. Now perhaps I might be mistaken, but when Duke writes a grant to NIH, does it mention that it is in the ACC and that is why it should get the grant? Will GT lend it's main researcher to Duke if Duke's lead researcher goes down with pneumonia? Of course not! Long story short, the ACC is a sports conference and until it decides to become more like the B1G, this is how the ACC will operate.

As for how Louisville will affect VT's academic reputation, I guess time will tell. But I believe that VT's actions or inactions will have more of a direct impact upon its academic reputation.

Full disclosure - my Boston Terrier graduated from LV, but his first choice was VT. Of course they laughed him out of Blacksburg, gave him a milk bone and suggested he try LV. He took a bus to LV and made the Dean's list for 8 straight semesters. He could have graduated in 3 years, but he met a poodle and that was that. Seriously, how are the decent schools in any conference going to compete against competition that has no discernible admission standards except the presence of a pulse? Consider the range of quality of the schools in the ACC. How's that going to work long term.? You may say a rising tide lifts all boats. I don't think so - the disparity is too great. Maybe the Ivy League had it right when they formalized their league in 1954.

Reaction Score
Why should Duke, ND, BC, Virginia Tech be criticized for joining a league that invited Louisville into its fold, and yet most Uconn fans could be expected to be completely silent and willing without hesitation to join a league, if invited, that currently has West Virginia, Okie State ( and possibly later Houston ) in its league ? Heck, even Stanford U. is in an athletic league that includes the likes of Washington State.

Try Brasso on your doorknobs - it works quite well...

upload_2016-9-20_11-14-15.jpeg

Reaction Score
Since when have UNC's 'problems' affected UNC? :mad:

I understand this frustration that your emoji demonstrates and share in that same emotion. In fact, quite a few NC State and Duke alumni friends have shared the feeling that UNC's athletic department should have been given the death penalty by the NCAA. The Syracuse and UL fans obviously also believe that UNC should be treated harshly. So FWIW Mr. Conehead you are not alone feeling that the entire situation is enraging.

Reaction Score
You are right. We hope to have that issue.

Reaction Score
Let them keep their independence - the bigger issue for them is when they will again challenge for a national title regardless of where they are. It is now 28 years since their last title. I believe this is the longest drought in ND football history. They did finish undefeated in 2012 despite some close calls against some weak opponents only be gelded by Bama 42-14 in the BCS game.

At some point, ND will lose its luster as a potential national football power. It happened to Princeton eventually after it won its 28th and final national title in 1950. (Although Princeton decided to throw in with other perennial national football powers and form the Ivy League in 1954.) The question for ND will be - how long do you wait? Football right now gets ND in any conference door. Since ND's olympic sports don't bring anything to the table, if football continues to wane then when does ND make the move? Or maybe it won't have to. The ACC seems content to let ND have its cake and eat it too. However, if ND eventually must join a conference (and I think it will), the B1G would be far superior for it than the ACC. All kidding aside, ND has an excellent academic reputation - how can it stand to be affiliated with a school like LV? We should ask the Dukies the same question!
The thing I remember about Princeton as a kid is they were the last of the single wing teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom