CR (and a little more) thoughts on this weekends (9-17) games | The Boneyard

CR (and a little more) thoughts on this weekends (9-17) games

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
1. When will schools stop scheduling these high level FCS schools? Did no one learn from our Appy St game? Iowa has nothing to win and everything to lose when they play teams like North Dakota St. NDSU is the five time FCS champ and would beat many FBS teams this year. It's not like NDSU is a one year wonder just hitting their stride. I just don't get it

2. Great win yesterday, congrats. I know people will say that UVA is a horrible team in a basketball centric conference, but you all did what you're supposed to do; beat the teams you should. UVA is not as bad as most of the pundits say and you stood toe to toe with them.

3. I wonder if FSU is thinking twice about pushing Louisville into the ACC over you all. Louisville might be the only ACC school that rivals FSU and UNC in looking the other way.

4. Unless they can really pick up the national recruiting, Oklahoma, by means of leaving, needs to kill the Big12 immediately. The Big12 has given teams like TCU and Baylor an avenue to recruit those players that Oklahoma would normally take. With Texas being down, they have given those smaller regional schools an opportunity to become a very big regional names. Throw in Houston and the SEC schools into the mix, and now Oklahoma is fighting for and losing recruits they may have turned down 10 years ago. Going to the Big10/SEC/PAC12 would be a step on the right direction.

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

6. The Big12 is hurting Texas even more than its hurting Oklahoma. I thought Charlie Strong was a good hire, but he is floundering in the job.

7. ND will always have their independence.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1. When will schools stop scheduling these high level FCS schools? Did no one learn from our Appy St game? Iowa has nothing to win and everything to lose when they play teams like North Dakota St. NDSU is the five time FCS champ and would beat many FBS teams this year. It's not like NDSU is a one year wonder just hitting their stride. I just don't get it

2. Great win yesterday, congrats. I know people will say that UVA is a horrible team in a basketball centric conference, but you all did what you're supposed to do; beat the teams you should. UVA is not as bad as most of the pundits say and you stood toe to toe with them.

3. I wonder if FSU is thinking twice about pushing Louisville into the ACC over you all. Louisville might be the only ACC school that rivals FSU and UNC in looking the other way.

4. Unless they can really pick up the national recruiting, Oklahoma, by means of leaving, needs to kill the Big12 immediately. The Big12 has given teams like TCU and Baylor an avenue to recruit those players that Oklahoma would normally take. With Texas being down, they have given those smaller regional schools an opportunity to become a very big regional names. Throw in Houston and the SEC schools into the mix, and now Oklahoma is fighting for and losing recruits they may have turned down 10 years ago. Going to the Big10/SEC/PAC12 would be a step on the right direction.

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

6. The Big12 is hurting Texas even more than its hurting Oklahoma. I thought Charlie Strong was a good hire, but he is floundering in the job.

The B1G has forbid schools (going past 2017) from scheduling FCS schools. Only Minnesota has a game in 2019, and that will likely be the last exception.

Reaction Score
When will schools stop scheduling these high level FCS schools?

Apparently, as long as allowed by law.

They were "supposed" to lose, silly

Perfect fit

Post on LT said: Last night should lay to rest any future claims that joining the B!G will have adverse effects upon recruiting for the University of Oklahoma. PS. Adding Cincinnati will not have the same effect on recruiting as joining the B!G.

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

You just woke up, didn't you ;)

Last week he was a king. Both Oklahoma and Texas losing should get CR back on the front burner over there.

Until Millennials are the "old guys" (a.k.a The dudes with cash), and the "old guys" lose interest[/blue]

Last edited:
Reaction Score

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

@dayooper without the 13th game ND fans can say all they want there will come a time when they get left out because of it.

dayooper

Reaction Score
@dayooper without the 13th game ND fans can say all they want there will come a time when they get left out because of it.

It will never come to that.

Reaction Score
It will never come to that.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened last year if ND had beaten Stanford. I don't think it would have put them above OU.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) I'm glad Iowa scheduled North Dakota St. That program is a monster and no one knows about it. It'd be a shame if schools stop scheduling that type of outfit - five-time champs or not, without those games, those programs probably can't exists financially.

2) It was a win.

3) I doubt it. The atmosphere there was top-notch.

4) I keep saying this...where is Oklahoma going to go? If the SEC and Big Ten are handing out $45-50M in a few years, there is nothing Oklahoma can do that would be additive to the pool. "But football reputation!" Nope. And they have the Oklahoma State factor to boot - I just don't see them going anywhere save the PAC12 as a package deal.

6) Yep.

7) Yep.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
1) I'm glad Iowa scheduled North Dakota St. That program is a monster and no one knows about it. It'd be a shame if schools stop scheduling that type of outfit - five-time champs or not, without those games, those programs probably can't exists financially.

2) It was a win.

3) I doubt it. The atmosphere there was top-notch.

4) I keep saying this...where is Oklahoma going to go? If the SEC and Big Ten are handing out $45-50M in a few years, there is nothing Oklahoma can do that would be additive to the pool. "But football reputation!" Nope. And they have the Oklahoma State factor to boot - I just don't see them going anywhere save the PAC12 as a package deal.

6) Yep.

7) Yep.

You missed 5).

Reaction Score
Louisville will be a factor as the as the qb stays in the lineup. Seasons are long, and the qb, albeit guys who are runners as well, typically get hurt at some point.

Dooley

Reaction Score

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

1. I think that trend is already starting. Some schools who have no business being snooty (ahem, ahem *Pitt*) have even gone so far as saying they won't schedule G5 teams any more. Makes sense given conference records like AAC vs P5.

2. We played mediocre yesterday but a W is a W. VERY fortunate to have won. Between Bronco Mendenhall out Diaco-ing Diaco in the 4th quarter and UVA's insistence on extending drives for our anemic offense late in the game with stupid penalties, the football gods made amends for week 2 loss to Navy. I feel bad for UVA's kicker. He was put in a tough spot by his coach. Once again, running the football with no timeouts and less than 20 seconds on the clock is a dangerous game to play. We've now been on both ends of it.

3. Louisville delivered exactly on its promise and the premise of FSU/Clemson wanting them in - they are now a 3rd football power in the ACC very capable of winning the conference every single season. I said in another thread and I'll say it again here: the poor academics and hooker/blow stories are all forgiven when you blow out FSU by 100 points in an electric home atmosphere. Football > everything else in today's college sports landscape.

4. OU really should be looking to leave the B12 sooner rather than later. The writing is on the wall, that conference is Big East 2.0. Not sure where they'd go if they are attached to OSU also coming with them. B10 *might* make an AAU exception for OU but it's hard to see them making two exceptions to include OSU too. The PAC fancies themselves as an academic equivalent to the B1G but the pickings are slimmer being out west. Maybe they make academic exceptions for the pair. Doubtful. The SEC has grown their footprint intelligently (like the B1G) by focusing on brands and not doubling down on markets. No way they take two Oklahoma schools. The ACC would be intrigued by the pair, I think, because they still have to work on distribution of their new ACCN. OU would be a top brand and would add to the $30M/yr payout. But would OSU?

5. Welcome to 2016. UConn brings considerable more valuable to the ACC than either Cuse or BC but here we are.

6. Texas alone has 100% certainty that they'd find a home. Maybe A&M would pitch a stink to keep them out of the SEC but that's it. If they attached to Tech or even Houston, then those odds lower a bit.

7. 100000% agree. There is no need for them to ever join the ACC as long as they receive 1) full NBC payout that is completely theirs 2) full ACCN payout. The only way they are moved to join a conference is if they are 12-0 or 11-1 and shunned from Playoff. Every year they lose games like last night means the timeline of this happening gets pushed back another year.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
1. I think that trend is already starting. Some schools who have no business being snooty (ahem, ahem *Pitt*) have even gone so far as saying they won't schedule G5 teams any more. Makes sense given conference records like AAC vs P5.

2. We played mediocre yesterday but a W is a W. VERY fortunate to have won. Between Bronco Mendenhall out Diaco-ing Diaco in the 4th quarter and UVA's insistence on extending drives for our anemic offense late in the game with stupid penalties, the football gods made amends for week 2 loss to Navy. I feel bad for UVA's kicker. He was put in a tough spot by his coach. Once again, running the football with no timeouts and less than 20 seconds on the clock is a dangerous game to play. We've now been on both ends of it.

3. Louisville delivered exactly on its promise and the premise of FSU/Clemson wanting them in - they are now a 3rd football power in the ACC very capable of winning the conference every single season. I said in another thread and I'll say it again here: the poor academics and hooker/blow stories are all forgiven when you blow out FSU by 100 points in an electric home atmosphere. Football > everything else in today's college sports landscape.

4. OU really should be looking to leave the B12 sooner rather than later. The writing is on the wall, that conference is Big East 2.0. Not sure where they'd go if they are attached to OSU also coming with them. B10 *might* make an AAU exception for OU but it's hard to see them making two exceptions to include OSU too. The PAC fancies themselves as an academic equivalent to the B1G but the pickings are slimmer being out west. Maybe they make academic exceptions for the pair. Doubtful. The SEC has grown their footprint intelligently (like the B1G) by focusing on brands and not doubling down on markets. No way they take two Oklahoma schools. The ACC would be intrigued by the pair, I think, because they still have to work on distribution of their new ACCN. OU would be a top brand and would add to the $30M/yr payout. But would OSU?

5. Welcome to 2016. UConn brings considerable more valuable to the ACC than either Cuse or BC but here we are.

6. Texas alone has 100% certainty that they'd find a home. Maybe A&M would pitch a stink to keep them out of the SEC but that's it. If they attached to Tech or even Houston, then those odds lower a bit.

7. 100000% agree. There is no need for them to ever join the ACC as long as they receive 1) full NBC payout that is completely theirs 2) full ACCN payout. The only way they are moved to join a conference is if they are 12-0 or 11-1 and shunned from Playoff. Every year they lose games like last night means the timeline of this happening gets pushed back another year.
There is absolutely no way a 12-0 ND gets left out. That would just push us toward an 8-team playoff. If ND is 11-1 and there are 2 or 3 undefeated P5 conference champs and one-loss SEC or B1G team, they can have no complaint being left out.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

5. Syracuse and BC suck.

I am not a fan of your HFC, but I pull for Michigan because you are a good guy.

Dooley

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way a 12-0 ND gets left out. That would just push us toward an 8-team playoff. If ND is 11-1 and there are 2 or 3 undefeated P5 conference champs and one-loss SEC or B1G team, they can have no complaint being left out.

I don't think they would either. Too much money and better ratings. I just said that would be the only way they'd consider joining - if they feel like being a full ACC member would improve their Playoff chances. Right now, the answer is a resounding no.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I don't think they would either. Too much money and better ratings. I just said that would be the only way they'd consider joining - if they feel like being a full ACC member would improve their Playoff chances. Right now, the answer is a resounding no.

Here's the question: would the hardcore ND fanbase want to give up their independence if they were left out at 11-1 or 10-2? If they are all as adamant about independence as TerryD, I don't know if it's a given.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Here's the question: would the hardcore ND fanbase want to give up their independence if they were left out at 11-1 or 10-2? If they are all as adamant about independence as TerryD, I don't know if it's a given.

Good question. I think it would depend on who a 11-1/10-2 ND team would get leapfrogged by. Example - if Houston (or any G5 school) gets in over them, I think that would tick off even the most adamant independent fan. If it's 2 SEC schools, Ohio St/Michigan, Texas/OU, FSU/Clemson, Oregon/USC/Stanford, then maybe not so much. I don't know how they'll take it if a school like Louisville gets in. I think a large percentage of the snooty ND fanbase won't like that either.

Reaction Score
Good question. I think it would depend on who a 11-1/10-2 ND team would get leapfrogged by. Example - if Houston (or any G5 school) gets in over them, I think that would tick off even the most adamant independent fan. If it's 2 SEC schools, Ohio St/Michigan, Texas/OU, FSU/Clemson, Oregon/USC/Stanford, then maybe not so much. I don't know how they'll take it if a school like Louisville gets in. I think a large percentage of the snooty ND fanbase won't like that either.
Dooley fact of the matter is that with a 13th game schools from any of the conferences you just mentioned can leapfrog ND into the CFP. That's where you will see ND fans bitch and where they get a cold hard reality bitchslap.....you can't have your cake and eat it too!

shizzle787

Reaction Score
ND was 10-2 last year, and their fanbase was fine.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley fact of the matter is that with a 13th game schools from any of the conferences you just mentioned can leapfrog ND into the CFP. That's where you will see ND fans bitch and where they get a cold hard reality bitchslap.....you can't have your cake and eat it too!

The 13th game is key.

Reaction Score
Why couldn't BYU and Notre Dame just schedule a 13th game with each other to avoid that issue?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Why couldn't BYU and Notre Dame just schedule a 13th game with each other to avoid that issue?

Because there is a limit of 12 regular season games and you need more than two to make a conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom