Courant's Kevin Rennie: UConn Football Is Out Of Its League | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courant's Kevin Rennie: UConn Football Is Out Of Its League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're looking at a $1.3 billion deficit, which will probably grow even worse next year. Complaining that Rennie is just a cheap "curmudgeon" ignores the reality of the State's fiscal situation.

Nobody is immune from having their books looked at.

I disagree with his conclusion, because big time sports elevates the entire university profile, including academics, and I don't think it's time to cut and run from the investment.

State of Connecticut Reveals $1.3 Billion Budget Deficit

Reaction Score
These people are out in full force against the XL remodel too (ie. Joe Marlakey). They do realize they're driving out the only sources of entertainment our State has left, correct? Are these people stupid, or what? The State already sucks as it is, I couldn't imagine living here without the XL Center and UConn/UConn Football in the Fall. This State is looking to commit suicide and if this type of hawing brings these efforts down there's no reason to live here unless you have a cushy job and/or family reasons. None.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"All UConn coaches' compensation comes solely from Athletic Department revenues. These include ticket sales, radio and television broadcast contracts, Big East conference and NCAA income, private fundraising, and corporate partnerships." ,Private money for buyout, and Edsall is coming in cheap. Someone who has one, Please explain this to the contract reporter. I don't have an account with the HC. This was taken from a state sponsored report from 2005.

Reaction Score
HOW DOES THE COURANT PUBLISH THE BUYOUT WAS PUBLIC MONEY?

Jebbus Jacobs how about you steal this post and get it fixed.
He is a lawyer and would probably defend the Hartford minor league ballpark boondoggle and in the same breath tell you how our state flagship should be solely about education and let's not talk about UConn's tuition costs but rather blame UConn sports to contributing to our states finacial woes. But don't bring up ESPN and their tax breaks and their controversial stance on the ACC expanding with UConn which certainly would have been a plus for those tax dollars spent on ESPN. So as a conservative I find this kind of republican by definition a RINO. A lawyer who has probably served on executive boards with companies who push paper and make nothing. This guy is some kinda-stupid, does he not realize in his version of failed UConn football when this team was at its worst, the name on the stadium changed, and I suppose Pratt&Whitney were allowed to do that for $0.00. So I find his argument so flawed I wonder exactly what kinda of a lawyer was he? Obviously not a good one!

Reaction Score
These people are out in full force against the XL remodel too (ie. Joe Marlakey). They do realize they're driving out the only sources of entertainment our State has left, correct? Are these people stupid, or what? The State already sucks as it is, I couldn't imagine living here without the XL Center and UConn/UConn Football in the Fall. This State is looking to commit suicide and if this type of hawing brings these efforts down there's no reason to live here unless you have a cushy job and/or family reasons. None.
Where do they live? Fairfield County? If so they get their entertainment(including sports) in NYC and see anything north of Meriden as a waste of taxpayers(their) money. If they had their way there wouldn't be a UConn, and XL Center. Just a population of servants that pay taxes and keep quiet.

Reaction Score
How much negative trash talking can you put into one article.

"Any football stadium is empty almost every day of the year. "

What the $&&% does that mean? So basically he is arguing that football shouldn't exist anywhere at any level.

Reaction Score
Don't know him.
Never knew him.
Don't want to know him.
Will never vote for him....
But he reminds me of people that will show up only if a team wins, i.e. to WBB game because they are on top or will support MBB or show up at a tailgate when the teams get back on winning track.
I picture him wearing a flipping pink hat with the Husky wolf on it .
Easy to tear things down when the going is rough.
Much better for all of us to continue to fight the fight together and ride Jerks like this out of our bloodied arena
Get the Flux out of here..

Reaction Score
Serious question. What is the cost differential between funding an FCS team and an FBS team? It isn't like funding an FCS team is free.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Failed political stooge looking for attention. At least the Not a dime back guy had a mental illness as an excuse.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Step outside the Storrs and BY Bubble and imagine what the rest of the world thinks about, perceives UConn FB is all about.

Reaction Score
Where do they live? Fairfield County? If so they get their entertainment(including sports) in NYC and see anything north of Meriden as a waste of taxpayers(their) money.
Meriden? That far north? ;)

Reaction Score
He is a lawyer and would probably defend the Hartford minor league ballpark boondoggle and in the same breath tell you how our state flagship should be solely about education and let's not talk about UConn's tuition costs but rather blame UConn sports to contributing to our states finacial woes. But don't bring up ESPN and their tax breaks and their controversial stance on the ACC expanding with UConn which certainly would have been a plus for those tax dollars spent on ESPN. So as a conservative I find this kind of republican by definition a RINO. A lawyer who has probably served on executive boards with companies who push paper and make nothing. This guy is some kinda-stupid, does he not realize in his version of failed UConn football when this team was at its worst, the name on the stadium changed, and I suppose Pratt&Whitney were allowed to do that for $0.00. So I find his argument so flawed I wonder exactly what kinda of a lawyer was he? Obviously not a good one!

Well, here he is if you need his services. Kevin F. Rennie

Reaction Score
Tempted to say that if you haven't heard of Kevin Rennie then you either do not live in CT, or do not read the Courant. He is a fiscally conservative former House minority leader who is fairly liberal compared to most R's these days on social issues. He has a point and having a respectfull dicussion on this topic is what we should be doing. His column highlights the new reality for UConn. The Edsall 2.0 era may be UConn's last 3 years in FBS. If HCRE is not successful, UConn will be forced into a major philosophical change in their athletics program.

Reaction Score
He is a fiscally conservative former House minority leader who is fairly liberal compared to most R's these days on social issues. He has a point and having a respectfull dicussion on this topic is what we should be doing. His column highlights the new reality for UConn. The Edsall 2.0 era may be UConn's last 3 years in FBS. If HCRE is not successful, UConn will be forced into a major philosophical change in their athletics program.
A respectful discussion..this topic ???
"Major philosophical change..".
Let's hope that day never arrives...

Reaction Score
So they let the resident conservative do the hack job?

These people are as many as they are old. The public Univ has always, for them, been a soil on their clean pastal shirts.It's a baffle to them that YOU would send your kid to a state school when the state is littered with private universities. Athletics is just one of the many corrupting happenings to be found at our state Univ, so say them. Still a terrible piece of publication-- as written-- for its length, theme circulation. Bad journalism.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Chris Powell of the JI asks a few questions: "So if, as Edsall says, he long has regretted his conduct back then, what took him so long to apologize for it? Is his apology sincere, or is Edsall just talking on behalf of his new million-dollar salary at UConn? For that matter, is there any sincerity left in college football these days? Is any self-respect left in Connecticut?"

The answer to that last question is easy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Meriden? That far north? ;)

I think the dividing line is the car dealer district on Mill Plain Road in Fairfield. The line is fuzzy as it runs up through Trumbull, Newtown, Brookfield. Basically its FF County sans Bport.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rennie is not a neo con. Pretty fair article.
Mmm, not so much for reasons already stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom