Courant Opponent Previews | The Boneyard

Courant Opponent Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
While I'm fired up for the BYU game, that is going to be an incredibly difficult matchup to open the season. I wish it was tucked during the middle of the season somewhere instead of Game 1. We will get a very good look at Coach Balis' strength and conditioning program in the very first week of the season. If we can hang with BYU's tempo, then there is some serious reason for optimism for 2014.

Reaction Score
Its amazing what a new no nonsense coach raising standards will do for even beat writers. Dez is actually producing work for a change.
Yes it is almost like we have a real football program to follow. Just goes to show how bad things really were under the old regime. Really some hope on the horizon. It doesn't take much just a clean slate coming in. No baggage from the past, no real complaints from the BY just nervous anticipation of great things coming. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
While I'm fired up for the BYU game, that is going to be an incredibly difficult matchup to open the season. I wish it was tucked during the middle of the season somewhere instead of Game 1. We will get a very good look at Coach Balis' strength and conditioning program in the very first week of the season. If we can hang with BYU's tempo, then there is some serious reason for optimism for 2014.

BYU will have issues, as well. I'll bet they're wishing this wasn't their opener.They're facing a new coaching staff with different concepts on both sides of ball and three possible QB's. Hopefully, BYU will also be facing a pissed-off group that's determined to prove that they aren't anything like UCONN's three previous teams. Call me crazy, but I don't think this is going to be a BYU cake-walk. Far from it, in fact.

Reaction Score

BYU will have issues, as well. I'll bet they're wishing this wasn't their opener.They're facing a new coaching staff with different concepts on both sides of ball and three possible QB's. Hopefully, BYU will also be facing a pissed-off group that's determined to prove that they aren't anything like UCONN's three previous teams. Call me crazy, but I don't think this is going to be a BYU cake-walk. Far from it, in fact.

@ Dooley I thought the same way at first, having met the new regime twice my confidence has risen considerably. That along with the condition of the entire team. I was thinking come out as sleepers but why? Let the powers that be know what they missed out on!

@FAIRTIDES. I AGREE no cake -walk... Call me crazy but I have it UCONN 34 BYU 17 .........

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
@ Dooley I thought the same way at first, having met the new regime twice my confidence has risen considerably. That along with the condition of the entire team. I was thinking come out as sleepers but why? Let the powers that be know what they missed out on!

@FAIRTIDES. I AGREE no cake -walk... Call me crazy but I have it UCONN 34 BYU 17 ....

If we beat BYU, then watch out. By comparison, there wouldn't be a game left on the schedule that we couldn't win. 2-0 going into Boise could be a nice sellout and rocking atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Realistically, I expect BYU to jump out to a early lead and UConn trying to adjust and shake off the first game jitters. Sounds like BYU's weakness on D might be right up the middle so it'll be interesting to see how much the O-line has improved and how much they can exploit BYU's D-line. If they are successful that might loosen up the coverage on our receivers as the Cougars might be forced to stack the box more than they originally wanted. If UConn can stay within 10 points of BYU at halftime the Huskies should feel good about their chances in the second half. The last 20 minutes of the game will show how much they've improved conditioning wise so if they can play with gusto for all four quarters the last few minutes could be pretty exciting. UConn won't win a shootout with BYU if the game goes that way so somehow the Huskies are gonna have to put pressure and contain that dual threat QB they have. The earlier they can get that guy second guessing himself the better chance they have for a W. In the last 7 minutes of the game if UConn's defense is standing up, pointing fingers and talking I'll be a happy camper but if their hands are on their knees and the crowd is sitting on their hands then look out. I really think in this one it's gonna be more about the UConn defense and how they perform but thankfully the head coach is a defensive guru so this could be a real treat to watch. BYU will throw the first few punches, we'll see if the Huskies can adjust and counter.

In the Stoney Brook game: If the offense can't blow them out of the water by the 8 minute mark in the third quarter I'll be very disappointed. They need to pin 30+ points on the Seawolves and at least a 60/40 split on time of possession.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't BYU have a bunch of guys suspended? The Huskies need to punch them in the throat in the 1st QTR and never let up.

Reaction Score
I was just talking to someone who ran into Diaco at a restaurant and went over to wish him luck. Said by the time Diaco finished talking to him, my friend felt like checking to see if he had any eligibility left, and he graduated in 1974! He said he couldn't believe how pumped up the Coach was and how he passed that along.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the Seawolves to travel to East Hartford. So excited to see my two favorite teams!!!

Reaction Score
I think on of the biggest things Diaco will have to deal with is helping players to manage their energy. I get the feeling our guys will be through the roof come BYU game time.

Don't want them spent by the 2nd quarter.

Reaction Score
did anyone read the Temple review? It sounded like even the beat reporter doesn't expect much form them. And Temple is back to its old ways of bringing in a bunch of JUCO kids. that occasionally works, but not usually.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
did anyone read the Temple review? It sounded like even the beat reporter doesn't expect much form them. And Temple is back to its old ways of bringing in a bunch of JUCO kids. that occasionally works, but not usually.

link?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It reads like a mirror image of UConn.

Best player? Corner back.

Other strengths? WR's.

Weakness/Unknown Area? OLine.

When you look in a mirror and see Tulane... just say Candyman three times it's no worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom