Courant Columnist Colin McEnroe view on CR and UConn | The Boneyard

Courant Columnist Colin McEnroe view on CR and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
McEnroe is right. UConn would have been much better off if Calhoun never coached here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You mean other than the BY??

That's actually a good point. I would imagine that the Courant's reach will stay ahead of the Boneyard for a few more years.

Hopefully someday there exists a sane enjoyable place to discuss UConn - but I guess until then we have what we have.

Reaction Score
Oh good. Now we got the pompous-over-the-hill Yalie view of the issue. I feel so enlightened.

Reaction Score
Pfffffft.

Honestly, if not for football. I would be somewhat less than even a casual basketball fan. Football grew the school's fanbase.

Reaction Score
Pointless drivel. We should all feel so honored to have him quote us poetry to help us work through our feelings of abandonment. Go read your poetry in a coffee house where someone cares.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
How did we lose 1.6 million by going to the bowl game???
Someone please explain.

Reaction Score
Someone please explain.

We were on the hook to pay for 15k tickets as well as a set number of Hotel rooms. The tickets/hotels were way over priced so naturally all the UConn fans went for more affordable options and the school was on the hook to pay for the tickets and hotels that were not used.

Just another example of the terrible system in place, Auburn won the national championship that year and also lost money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You mean other than the BY??
My friend, we are the premier forum for aggressive stupidy.

He didn't say that we'd have been better off without Calhoun so much, only that JC's 'academic, and displinary problems' and the parting shot at BC, might have contributed among other factors, like Blumenthal and Malloy. The piece was a big bag of nothing.

Without Calhoun we are vying with UMass for admission to the conference to be named. We'd be showing an upward trend, so maybe the naysayers would be happy. It's more likely, though, that they'd be twisting their nickers about something else.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
We were on the hook to pay for 15k tickets as well as a set number of Hotel rooms. The tickets/hotels were way over priced so naturally all the UConn fans went for more affordable options and the school was on the hook to pay for the tickets and hotels that were not used.

Just another example of the terrible system in place, Auburn won the national championship that year and also lost money.
That's what I thought but the way that idiot made it sound was like we were the only ones that lost lost $.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Someone please explain.

Most bowls are loss leaders, because the exposure is typically worth it. The loss of profit however, is the result of teams pooling their bowl proceeds and sharing them with other teams in the conference, even those who do not make a bowl.

This column seems ill-informed to me, where facts are taken out of context. This thread should gracefully disappear along with the ill-timed and ill-informed, "OT-How does Manuel have a job still," thread.

Reaction Score
Just further evidence of why McEnroe has always been a poster boy for Yale--with the caption, "You don't have to be smart to go to Yale".

He may or may not be smart, but he is certainly lazy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He may or may not be smart, but he is certainly lazy.

Frankly I'm surprised this colmn was published. Is the newspaper industry so bad that columnists are now their own editors? Its filler and terrible at that. His "points" are not well connected and are poorly supported, in my view.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
That's actually a good point. I would imagine that the Courant's reach will stay ahead of the Boneyard for a few more years.

Hopefully someday there exists a sane enjoyable place to discuss UConn - but I guess until then we have what we have.

I donno compared to the comments on your average Courant sports article, the Boneyard is a haven for sane and rational discourse.

Reaction Score

So says the Asylum's #1 patient.

Reaction Score
Most bowls are loss leaders, because the exposure is typically worth it. The loss of profit however, is the result of teams pooling their bowl proceeds and sharing them with other teams in the conference, even those who do not make a bowl.

This column seems ill-informed to me, where facts are taken out of context. This thread should gracefully disappear along with the ill-timed and ill-informed, "OT-How does Manuel have a job still," thread.

Most bowls are loss leaders, not so sure, but some certainly are. But the Fiesta was a real bleeder, both financially and image wise.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I donno compared to the comments on your average Courant sports article, the Boneyard is a haven for sane and rational discourse.

Fixed it for you. That place makes the cesspool look good. I can't believe what people post there under their actual identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom