Could We Stop With the Pure Stupidity Please | The Boneyard

Could We Stop With the Pure Stupidity Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all due respect (now I can say whatever I want), the criticism of the overall defensive strategy is dumb. The bottom line is that playing at Provo against a team with more talent than us, we had held them to 13 points in 50 minutes despite not being able to generate even a scintilla of offense. Yes, they made mistakes. It's much harder to move in the red zone than all over the field, and that's especially true with a frosh QB who is learning. We kept everything in front of us and it worked fine. You can't play tight man coverage all day if your pass rushers aren't fast enough to bother the QB once he leaves the pocket.

Honestly, so much to be concerned about and people are talking about the part of the game plan and effort THAT WORKED AND GAVE US A CHANCE TO WIN.

I'll do a 241 later, but this team, overall, is where we hoped it would be after 5 games -- a record of 2-3, and having played the losses tough enough that there is hope that we can beat some teams now that we start the conference schedule. Yeah, I HATE losing as well, especially having stayed up until 2 a.m. to lose. But there is no reason for anger to make anyone stupid.

Reaction Score
With all due respect (now I can say whatever I want), the criticism of the overall defensive strategy is dumb. The bottom line is that playing at Provo against a team with more talent than us, we had held them to 13 points in 50 minutes despite not being able to generate even a scintilla of offense. Yes, they made mistakes. It's much harder to move in the red zone than all over the field, and that's especially true with a frosh QB who is learning. We kept everything in front of us and it worked fine. You can't play tight man coverage all day if your pass rushers aren't fast enough to bother the QB once he leaves the pocket.

Honestly, so much to be concerned about and people are talking about the part of the game plan and effort THAT WORKED AND GAVE US A CHANCE TO WIN.

I'll do a 241 later, but this team, overall, is where we hoped it would be after 5 games -- a record of 2-3, and having played the losses tough enough that there is hope that we can beat some teams now that we start the conference schedule. Yeah, I HATE losing as well, especially having stayed up until 2 a.m. to lose. But there is no reason for anger to make anyone stupid.

Can you just once disagree with people without being a condescending ?

Reaction Score
Exactly. Some of the same people that thought we could end up 0-12 are now acting like we should be 5-0 and everyone should be fired because we are not.

We are 2-3 ATS with the last two games on the numbers and Mizzou it turns out wasn't good.

Most of us thought the OL would struggle and it is struggling in spots.

Given where we were in these games I'm pissed off at the mistakes and play calls also. But I also never expected to be in the BYU and Mizzou games with a legitimate chance to win. So yes I was mad in the moment last night. But last night also confirmed to me that we can win 6. Just need to keep getting better. And that's all I really want for this year. If we don't win 6? At this point I will be disappointed.

Reaction Score
He never does. He's an attorney so he's always right.

This team is awful. There has been zero progress. One close game against an overrated Mizzou team is no basis for excitement. The offense is inept, the defense is terrible (see Navy and BYU).

BYU lost 31-0 to Michigan. Not like they can move the ball on anyone.

Can you just once disagree with people without being a condescending ?

Reaction Score

This team is awful. There has been zero progress. One close game against an overrated Mizzou team is no basis for excitement. The offense is inept, the defense is terrible (see Navy and BYU).

Speaking of pure stupidity. . . . . .

Reaction Score

LOL. Laughing at you, not with you.

Reaction Score
The announcers thought our strategy was dumb and said it repeatedly during the game. I'm not saying they were right but it was a legitimate opinion held by guys who cover games for a living.

So calling any criticism of the defensive game plan "pure stupidity" is .....well....it isn't really warranted.

To me, it was an example of Diaco doing what he does rather than game plan specifically for the opponent. It kinda worked but not really.

Reaction Score

QUESTION for Tom E - can you add a "dislike" option for posts?

Reaction Score
IMO, most of the angst is the wtf play calls which is obviously on the coaching staff.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I thought we played as well as expected. None of us looked at the schedule before the season started and said "win." There were some bad decisions by BS, YES!! However, he will continue to improve. I only questioned a few third and longs with BS under center and not in the shot gun set. I thought it would give him more time to throw, but what do I know. The offense has improved from last year and will continue to I believe. The O Line isn't great, but improving. The bonehead game changing play came when Adams kicked the ball and got that game changing play. He's a captain and knew better and owned up to it after. We still win 6 or 7, I really believe that, everyone left on schedule is beatable. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I was looking for "no", but that response works as well.

Seriously, though, I started this post. I called an opinion that was disproved by the facts dumb. That ought to be viewed differently than me actually calling a poster dumb. (Although I still don't get the rule that anyone with a buttcrack can call a coach dumb anonymously, and that's o.k., but someone criticizing the criticizer should be tabu.)

So yes, I can be condescending. But I don't think every opinion that differs from mine is dumb -- just some.

Reaction Score
i thought BYU came out swinging and out-muscled uconn early. they were pumped up, having fun, and all smiles... almost like uconn didn't belong on the same field them.
then, after uconn slowed the BYU offense down a couple times and hung around, the momentum started to swing. uconn started making some plays and definitely started pushing back.
unlike last year, this was a very winnable game. the defense reminded of RE's bend but don't break philosophy. they gave up yards, but didn't give up many points. until uconn literally went brain dead for about 3 minutes...

Diaco has every right to rip these kids a new one.

can someone please help me understand the issues with play calling. it seems the coaches have the right plan to put this team in a position to win. outside a few busted plays or a couple bonehead mistakes, this team is not far from being 3-2 or even 4-1.

Reaction Score
Seriously, though, I started this post. I called an opinion that was disproved by the facts dumb. That ought to be viewed differently than me actually calling a poster dumb. (Although I still don't get the rule that anyone with a buttcrack can call a coach dumb anonymously, and that's o.k., but someone criticizing the criticizer should be tabu.)

So yes, I can be condescending. But I don't think every opinion that differs from mine is dumb -- just some.

I agree the defense wasn't the problem, but for the life of me I don't understand why you tale criticism of coaches so personally.

They are public figures getting paid 7 figures to do their jobs in the public eye. We are arm chair qbs, on a message board. If everything was kumbaya this place would suck.

Reaction Score

"Taboo", dummie!;)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I agree the defense wasn't the problem, but for the life of me I don't understand why you tale criticism of coaches so personally.

They are public figures getting paid 7 figures to do their jobs in the public eye. We are arm chair qbs, on a message board. If everything was kumbaya this place would suck.
I re-read BL's post and I don't see where he is taking anything personally. He is disagreeing with some people's hot takes and called their criticisms dumb, but also presented an argument to back up his point of view.

Reaction Score

With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea how the game would've played out had we not employed the death by a thousand cuts defensive scheme. We were so scared of getting beat over the top and we treated BYU as though they were the Greatest Show on Turf.

That's not a great or even good football team we lost to last night. That we were in the game late tells me more about them than any defensive scheme we employed.

Reaction Score
I re-read BL's post and I don't see where he is taking anything personally. He is disagreeing with some people's hot takes and called their criticisms dumb, but also presented an argument to back up his point of view.

FWIW, my original reply to BL was done tongue in cheek. I can be a self admitted condescending on this board myself. I don't lack that self awareness that others do and I'm more than comfortable with it.

Reaction Score
Read the post where he doesn't think anyone with a buttcrack should criticize a coach anonymously. Be sure to post your drivers license before you are critical of coaching in the future.

This is a message board so we post anonymous opinions that are sometimes unfairly critical. That lumps us,in with about 100 percent of team sports message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom