Could Tulane be the Big 12 expansion wild card? | The Boneyard

Could Tulane be the Big 12 expansion wild card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Reaction Score
sure it could.

can't for the life of me understand why it would, but it could

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Better choice than Memphis in my opinion. But that doesn't mean it's a good one.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I actually posted this the other day or only thought about posting it, but the truth is there is always a clever group of posters in nearly every Big 12 forum I post on or lurk at who think Tulane, UNLV and possibly Hawaii would be the perfect invitees simply because they're located in destination cities. And now that weed is legal in Colorado, a lot of people are even giving Colorado State a second thought too.

But rest assured, these wise guys hardly speak for the conference presidents.

However, there is this about Tulane which could appeal to conference presidents: if you're looking for a crappy school with crappy sports in a rough SEC town where you could be killed, Tulane's academic reputation is probably a lot more valuable to the Big 12 in the long run than any promises Fred Smith can make on behalf of Memphis.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about UConn being bumped by anybody. I'm pretty sure the Huskies invitee #3 of 4. Maybe even #3 of FIVE if the conference can figure out how to get rid of Baylor. (Yeah, the continuing allegations are THAT bad).

Reaction Score
Using the assumption that those three are already in, you'd be down to weighing UConn, Colorado State, Tulane, and Memphis. Ranking those teams by things that matter:

Football: Colorado State, UConn, Memphis, Tulane
Basketball: UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Tulane
Other Sports: UConn, Tulane, Memphis, Colorado State
Athletic Facilities: UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Tulane
Academics (traditional): Tulane, UConn, Colorado State, Memphis
Academics (research): Tulane, UConn, Colorado State, Memphis
Market: UConn, Colorado State, Memphis, Tulane

Football was decidedly difficult to rank, UConn has the benefit of a BCS bowl the others do not, but recent history is relevant as well. Regardless add them up (4 - 3 - 2- 1) point scale.

UConn - 25
Colorado State - 16
Tulane - 15
Memphis - 14

It's pretty clear if they're deciding between a slightly better academic/research school in Tulane and ignoring everything else, the Big 12 is out of their mind.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not sure if I actually posted this the other day or only thought about posting it, but the truth is there is always a clever group of posters in nearly every Big 12 forum I post on or lurk at who think Tulane, UNLV and possibly Hawaii would be the perfect invitees simply because they're located in destination cities. And now that weed is legal in Colorado, a lot of people are even giving Colorado State a second thought too.

But rest assured, these wise guys hardly speak for the conference presidents.

However, there is this about Tulane which could appeal to conference presidents: if you're looking for a crappy school with crappy sports in a rough SEC town where you could be killed, Tulane's academic reputation is probably a lot more valuable to the Big 12 in the long run than any promises Fred Smith can make on behalf of Memphis.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about UConn being bumped by anybody. I'm pretty sure the Huskies invitee #3 of 4. Maybe even #3 of FIVE if the conference can figure out how to get rid of Baylor. (Yeah, the continuing allegations are THAT bad).
Come to CT this October. Be sure to bring a camera.

Reaction Score
Using the assumption that those three are already in, you'd be down to weighing UConn, Colorado State, Tulane, and Memphis. Ranking those teams by things that matter:

Football: Colorado State, UConn, Memphis, Tulane
Basketball: UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Tulane
Other Sports: UConn, Tulane, Memphis, Colorado State
Athletic Facilities: UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Tulane
Academics (traditional): Tulane, UConn, Colorado State, Memphis
Academics (research): Tulane, UConn, Colorado State, Memphis
Market: UConn, Colorado State, Memphis, Tulane

Football was decidedly difficult to rank, UConn has the benefit of a BCS bowl the others do not, but recent history is relevant as well. Regardless add them up (4 - 3 - 2- 1) point scale.

UConn - 25
Colorado State - 16
Tulane - 15
Memphis - 14

It's pretty clear if they're deciding between a slightly better academic/research school in Tulane and ignoring everything else, the Big 12 is out of their mind.
I get this is a simple example. But this makes it look much closer than it is.
There is something missing in much of the mediots discussions around candidates...

If these schools are bidding on a slight increase in there current take, do you really think Tulane can invest enough in their facilities, grow their AD, and remain competitive in a P5 school. Only Uconn and maybe BYU have a P5 AD, P5 facilities, and can compete day 1 with the rest of the Big12.
Great, you get Memphis / Tulane on the cheap, but then You watch them become the doormat of the league because you have made them unable to compete.
I think this is a potential issue for Uconn as well. But at least Uconn has shown the ability to fund athletics.
Is Uconn willing to come into a league making 20% of its conference mates with no guaranteed payoff at the end?

Reaction Score
OSU fans are one reason why the University of Chicago left the Big Ten. Does this buffoon even know the Big Ten has us on their radar?

Kind of funny that the Big 12 used to be the third best academic conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom