"Cougar High" coming to East Hartford. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Cougar High" coming to East Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope it sleets and rains sideways in 38 degree weather. Been there done that. But I hear it's pretty nice in the forecast.

Reaction Score
I had no idea about "Cougar High" but will certainly make a sign now. I hate everything about Texas and the pompous that occupy that wasteland.
In the late 90's I went on a two month business trip to Fort Worth. Every weekend I/we (my wife flew down three times) were invited over someones house for a cookout or at least dinner. I felt more welcome than anywhere else I've ever been. Great people. As with everywhere it all depends on the people you associate with. Great memories.

Reaction Score
In the late 90's I went on a two month business trip to Fort Worth. Every weekend I/we (my wife flew down three times) were invited over someones house for a cookout or at least dinner. I felt more welcome than anywhere else I've ever been. Great people. As with everywhere it all depends on the people you associate with. Great memories.
I'm sure there are great people there. When I was there for the NCAA National Championship game everyone we met was nice. It's a handful of people that I have met in some classes and seminars that I really didn't care for. I guess they all shouldn't be painted with the same broad brush stroke.

Reaction Score
This thread needs more pictures..
you really need to be more specific
shoulder_cookie__by_mychemromance277-d57rejh.jpg

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I had no idea about "Cougar High" but will certainly make a sign now. I hate everything about Texas and the pompous that occupy that wasteland.

And I hate rude jackasses from the East where it snows in April and the food sucks.

Reaction Score
Do they still call the West Hartford campus Husky High?

I never heard that while I was part time there late 2000's.

And I hate rude jackasses from the East where it snows in April and the food sucks.
That's because people further West than New York and south of Jersey don't know what good pizza tastes like.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Actual research.

"Cougar High"
If you're not one to insult opposing fans, then why bring it up? The derogatory term comes from the fact that UH began as a Junior College in 1927; it was in the early 1930s that they became a university. I guess for the last 80+ years, no one could think of anything better...? (Well SMU did call us the "Coogroes", I'll let you break that one down yourselves...)

Texas Schools
There are four major universities in the state of Texas: University of Houston (UH), Texas Tech (Tech), University of Texas - Austin (UT) , and Texas A&M (AM). North Texas University isn't on anyone's radar. UT and AM are the two largest institutions in Texas, not because of natural growth but because of an exclusive pool of money called Permanent University of Funds (PUF). Back in the day, TX legislature amended the TX constitution so that UT-System and AM-System exclusively receive income from oil royalties and tax revenues, which to this day has generated over $15 billion. Public universities such as Tech-System and UH-System don't have access to these funds, so the growth of the schools have been considerably slower. Tech and UH have access to another educational fund, but the payout is MUCH MUCH MUCH less.
Deregulating the PUF is brought up almost every year, but the TX political system is ridiculously influenced by UT and AM.
*System Schools are those with a main campus and then satellite schools in other cities. UT - 14, AM - 11, UH - 3, Tech - 2. PUF money is distributed to their system schools as well, but keep in mind though PUF was available to UT and AM before they even had system schools set up and alot of the UT and AM system schools are in a poor state of affairs, especially those that serve minority communities because of the poor distribution of funds.

South West Conference (SWC)
Football is king in TX and is fiercely protected.
UH did well in recruiting black athletes (one of the first schools to integrate sports) and was seeing alot of success on the field. UT and AM noticed this and invited UH to the SWC to gain exposure in Houston and black athletes. UH dominated the SWC in the early years, but recruiting scandals came out affecting almost all SWC schools. Even though UT and AM were culprits, TX politics protected them and very little was done to them while UH got hit hard, the hardest of course was SMU.
Fast forward to the dissolution of the SWC... As the SWC died, the Big 12 (B12) was forming. There were only two spots available with four schools in the running: UH, Tech, TCU, and Baylor. Governor Anne Richards, a Baylor alum, and Lt. Governor Bob Bullock, a Tech alum, politically threatened UT and AM to accept Baylor and Tech and did. UH was then relegated to Conference USA.

I hope that helps.

GO COOGS!

Thanks for the info. I've been in Texas more than 30 years and I was just giving the Texas perspective.

I like having Houston in the conference and I love the way you beat Pitt in the bowl last year (I have Pitt alums in my family). After UConn, good luck the rest of the way.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Do they still call the West Hartford campus Husky High?
Boat, they did call Branchfers place for their first 2 years "Husky High". Back in the day.
Be it wtby, W Hartford, Stamford.
Folks that liked mommy' s cooking over Jungle cafe pizza.

Reaction Score
Boat, they did call Branchfers place for their first 2 years "Husky High". Back in the day.
Be it wtby, W Hartford, Stamford.
Folks that liked mommy' s cooking over Jungle cafe pizza.
Branchers. Ouch

Reaction Score
"Cougar High"
If you're not one to insult opposing fans, then why bring it up? The derogatory term comes from the fact that UH began as a Junior College in 1927; it was in the early 1930s that they became a university. I guess for the last 80+ years, no one could think of anything better...? (Well SMU did call us the "Coogroes", I'll let you break that one down yourselves...)

To further clarify, we started out as a Junior College, but we were housed in one of the high schools the first year while we built our own campus.

Many Coog fans also say there are racist elements to it. The phrase didn't become popular until we integrated our team. A few still all white teams said we must be a high school because n****** don't go to college. Don't know if this true or urban myth.

South West Conference (SWC)
Football is king in TX and is fiercely protected.
UH did well in recruiting black athletes (one of the first schools to integrate sports) and was seeing alot of success on the field. UT and AM noticed this and invited UH to the SWC to gain exposure in Houston and black athletes.

Disagree about wanting exposure to black athletes. UT and others wanted to better control UH recruiting. We used different eligibility standards than the SWC, in some cases lower. We had some great athletes on our team that the SWC just didn't get. When UH was invited, we had to conform to their standards. It's why UH wasn't allow to compete football in the SWC until 1976 even though we were members in all other sports in 1972. Lots of ways the SWC wanted to control UH. In our first 2 years, our opponents even got to choose where we played our home games, the Astrodome which was our true home or Rice Stadium.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
To further clarify, we started out as a Junior College, but we were housed in one of the high schools the first year while we built our own campus.

Many Coog fans also say there are racist elements to it. The phrase didn't become popular until we integrated our team. A few still all white teams said we must be a high school because n****** don't go to college. Don't know if this true or urban myth.

Disagree about wanting exposure to black athletes. UT and others wanted to better control UH recruiting. We used different eligibility standards than the SWC, in some cases lower. We had some great athletes on our team that the SWC just didn't get. When UH was invited, we had to conform to their standards. It's why UH wasn't allow to compete football in the SWC until 1976 even though we were members in all other sports in 1972. Lots of ways the SWC wanted to control UH. In our first 2 years, our opponents even got to choose where we played our home games, the Astrodome which was our true home or Rice Stadium.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was a community college issue with Houston. I didn't know about the rest.

There are many schools in a similar situation. I think Boise was a junior college until about 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom