Cord Cutting a myth? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutting a myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone says they're going to cut the cord until they realize that of their 110 dollar bill 20 is for cable and 90 is for internet and it's just like oh.

Reaction Score
Everyone says they're going to cut the cord until they realize that of their 110 dollar bill 20 is for cable and 90 is for internet and it's just like oh.
I wish cable was 20. I just downgraded to direct TV's 2nd lowest package. It's still 138, after multiple box fees etc.

I won't cut the cord completely probably ever, because what is the sense in getting a 4k TV, to stream at 540P or if if you're lucky at 720P?

Streaming has allowed me to eliminate packages with things like the Big Ten network and MSN, because how often do I watch something on those? Not very.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wish cable was 20. I just downgraded to direct TV's 2nd lowest package. It's still 138, after multiple box fees etc.

I won't cut the cord completely probably ever, because what is the sense in getting a 4k TV, to stream at 540P or if if you're lucky at 720P?

Streaming has allowed me to eliminate packages with things like the Big Ten network and MSN, because how often do I watch something on those? Not very.
I think cord cutting is really best for those with multiple boxes. We looked into but we only have one box. Yeah it's a DVR contour with Cox but with cable and Internet we only pay around $160 a month. When you start adding in extra boxes that number jumps dramatically. With streaming, from what I gather, you can stream on multiple devices/tvs without paying extra or an excessive amount extra. Our girls are still little and don't have/need a separate tv so we're good for awhile. Until then, we'll leave the cord intact and enjoy our 3 billion channels....lol!

Reaction Score
I think cord cutting is really best for those with multiple boxes. We looked into but we only have one box. Yeah it's a DVR contour with Cox but with cable and Internet we only pay around $160 a month. When you start adding in extra boxes that number jumps dramatically. With streaming, from what I gather, you can stream on multiple devices/tvs without paying extra or an excessive amount extra. Our girls are still little and don't have/need a separate tv so we're good for awhile. Until then, we'll leave the cord intact and enjoy our 3 billion channels....lol!
I have Cox for phone and Internet that was 110 a month. The Directtv package with 3 boxes, HD, showtime and stars, and the sports pack, and the regional sports networks was 175.

That was 285 Month, I just trimmed that to about 210 a month. I only need the phone for occasional middle of the night 1 page faxes for work, so I cut down to 30 minutes a month/emergency line. I would cut it completely but I would have to buy my own docsis 3 modem. I cut out the regional sports nets and a few other things from directtv to trim those 75 bucks a month. I will cut more in the future but doubt I will ever completely cut it.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I have Cox for phone and Internet that was 110 a month. The Directtv package with 3 boxes, HD, showtime and stars, and the sports pack, and the regional sports networks was 175.

That was 285 Month, I just trimmed that to about 210 a month. I only need the phone for occasional middle of the night 1 page faxes for work, so I cut down to 30 minutes a month/emergency line. I would cut it completely but I would have to buy my own docsis 3 modem. I cut out the regional sports nets and a few other things from directtv to trim those 75 bucks a month. I will cut more in the future but doubt I will ever completely cut it.

We have Comcast cable and internet and pay $120 a month after all fees and taxes. We have the 2nd fastest broadband and the lowest cable package that has The sports I want. We get ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, Fox Sports Detroit and BTN. We also get the SECN, but I have never watched it. 1 box, no DVR (kids would load that up with their crap) and HD. If it weren't for sports, we would have cut the cord a long time ago.

Reaction Score
We all like to deny this but the economics actually make perfect sense. In Farfield county I went from "triple play" at 120 to just internet and phone for 50. You save at least 70 bucks / month. I'm in my 30s and have a younger brother who never picked up the TV mania. The reality is millennials don't watch TV and the demographics shift will only make this worse.
Maybe I'll plug back in for the fall but why not just go to the games instead!

Reaction Score
ESPN To Cater To Cord Cutters With Limited Streaming Service

>>“There have been some losses due to cord cutting,” acknowledged John Skipper, President of ESPN. “ESPN has been hit doubly hard by this trend because some consumers have been trading down to smaller packages that don’t include ESPN.”

This is why ESPN is preparing to reveal its own streaming TV package that won’t require a cable subscription. Of course, entering this market will make ESPN a little fish in a giant pond, so they do not intend to include their prime content like basketball or football. Instead, it will aim to include “niche leagues” and “possibly some types of college sports.”<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom